Cambridge Associates, LLC

Updated Aug 20, 2014

3.2

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Junior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2014.

The phone interview was very straightforward and basic - the recruiter asked me to go through my resume and asked the unavoidable "tell me about yourself" question. The goal here was to be able to relate each experience on your resume back to the responsibilities of the Junior Associate position.

I was invited back to the 2nd round, which was the Open House. There was an hour-long presentation on the company and how the MIG fit into the company. Pay attention during the presentation to learn more about the company and the position. After the presentation, there were three 30 minute, back to back, interviews with managers/assistant managers of various teams. It's important to ask for water between interviews, especially because it's easy to strain your throat when talking to so many people. Finally, there was a quick wrap up session.

Within a day or two, I received a call saying that I was invited back to the final round, where I had a transparency session and went through a demo of what I would be doing if I got the position. After the transparency session, I went through a 30 min interview with another manager I hadn't met previously, followed by a more informal round-table with 2 current associates, a writing test, and 2 more interviews: 45 min with the director of the teams/my team manager, and 30 min with the assistant manager/who would be my direct supervisor.

Unfortunately, I was told that while they appreciated my experience and positive attitude, they were looking to "go in another direction". I received the call in 1 business day, though I was told the decision would take 1-2 business days.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job and how will you handle that?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Junior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in May 2014.

First round interview - I answered questions as prompted, however I feel that what made my application weak was lack of a strong financial background and the fact that my call dropped three times mid-interview. Make sure you have good cell service!

Interviewer was very friendly.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

A day after I submitted my resume, I received an email scheduling a phone screen. My phone screen was only about 10 minutes long--she asked me to describe my educational and professional background, why I would choose Cambridge Associates, and to describe my greatest professional weakness. I am scheduled to have a follow-up interview next week.

Junior Associate Interview

Did a phone screen which ran over the resume. Didn't hear back for two weeks and followed up to find out I hadn't been selected for another round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in February 2013.

I went through a phone screening, which is very in depth, but mainly asked behavioral questions. They are trying to determined if you will be a good fit. Got called back for an open house, which lasted about 2 and half hours. Main thing to focus on is the presentation about the company. The interview will be heavy on what you've gained from the presentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in January 2013.

Applied through the LinkedIn posting.

Started off with a phone interview which was pretty basic. They asked about my resume and basically just did a walk-through of my credentials. Making sure your resume is legitimate.

I was called back by HR to come to an extensive "open-house" where me and a couple other candidates were given a more extensive overview of the company, what group we were interviewing with, and what the job entailed, historically.

After the presentations, you go through a rotation of three 30-minute interviews. It was interesting, the order is random, each candidate rotated between the same three guys, who were upper management of the group the job was with. Each guy had different personalities, almost like a weird Good Cop/Bad Cop/Neutral Cop routine. One guy was pretty straight forward, asking about my career goals, some basic situations, as well as gauging how committed to the job I would be (see Most Unexpected question). Another guy was pretty tough, seeming to be purposely not as personable, asking in-depth questions about strengths and weaknesses, as well as how I felt my previous interview went on a scale of 1-10 and why it wasn't a 10 (again, see below). The third guy was very personable, lauding my resume and providing a really good back and forth while discussing my qualifications.

I felt this three-way dynamic was probably more pre-orchestrated than anything, as a means of gauging candidates from multiple angles, and was actually pretty creative, if true.

Sadly, despite what I thought was a really positive conversation all the way around, I got a "going in another direction" email a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • 1 interviewer: Would I have to worry about you leaving for another job in a couple of years after taking the time to train you? (paraphrased)   View Answer
    • 2nd Interviewer: On a scale of 1-10, how was your last interview? Why not a 10?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

1st Stage: You will be contacted by HR for a general phone screening. They tend to pick up pretty fast on resumes so you will probably get a call within a few days after submission.

2nd Stage: In-house interview. They refer to this as their "Open House." This consists of a 40 minute presentation on the company, followed by two interviews with two or three managers within the manager information group. This stage is nothing special; they are simply trying to see if you are competent enough to work at Cambridge.

3rd Stage: In-house interview. You will meet with the director of the MIG. This meeting will make or break your entire interview process. The interview will be pointed and probing, especially of your past work history. They are trying to cultivate a more permanent and proficient workforce that will remain with the company for years. They have already decided that you are competent enough for the job; your sole objective at this stage will be to convince the director that you will stay in the position for an extended amount of time, will be happy in the position, and are willing to advance through the ranks. Make sure you highlight your commitment to remaining within the MIG. Be able to explain any past separation from your previous work and your reasons for seeking a new position.

This is followed by another presentation on the company, the MIG, and the position more specifically. Afterwards, you will meet with two groups of two junior associates who presently have the position for which you are applying. This is a very casual step for you to get a feel for the position. Lastly, you will do a 30-minute writing exercise on MS Word. This consists of drafting an email to an investment manager using a set of instructions. It's nothing difficult.

At the end you will have a short wrap-up session. Here you will be made to address any concerns they may have as a final effort to convince them that you are fit for the position.

You will be contacted within a day or two with their decision. They have a pretty fast and professional turnaround on this.

Interview Questions
    • What part of the job do you think you would have the most difficulty doing?   Answer Question
    • Give me a two minute ad campaign on yourself.   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in July 2012.

First step was a phone interview, which asked the standard initial interview questions... Tell me about yourself, etc.

The next step is an open house at their office in Arlington, Virginia. As a heads up, they don't reimburse any part of your travel expenses so be prepared. We had a short 45-60 minute presentation about the company, followed by 3 back to back interviews with the management team.

Out of the three interviews, the most difficult was easily with Casey, who is the director of the group. He asked non-stop questions, firing one after another, and quite frankly wasn't very friendly at all.

I'm not that disappointed that I did not get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2012.

Phone interview, phase one. Standard questions fairly easy.

Second there is a group interview following a presentation, mostly to see if you can handle yourself and stressful questions.

Finally here was another presentation two group discussion panels, two interviews and a writing sample. Mostly the last part was to make sure that you were a good fit for the job and that long term you would be happy in the position. The manager wasn't convinced i would last more than two years and I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in April 2012.

There was an initial phone interview, second round interview and then final round. In the initial phone interview, he called a half-hour earlier than schedule and asked a series of behavior questions. The second round was held at their Arlington location. They started with a presentation and then took me to be interviewed by 3 managers, each lasting 30 minutes. They asked a bunch of general behavioral questions, I found them to be very frat-like 20 something males. They were all very insincere and seemed to have no actual interest in me, but just wanted to get through the interview so they could get to the next candidate. One had a sheet full of the most ridiculous interview questions I've ever been asked and proceeded to ask the questions at me and just jot down my answers, he didn't even look up to make eye contact the entire time.