Cambridge Associates, LLC
www.cambridgeassociates.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Cambridge Associates, LLC Junior Research Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a month later, I received an email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was basic, running through the resume. Then two weeks later, I was called in for a group interview where you listen to a presentation about the company for about thirty minutes and then have three individual interviews with assistant managers. The last interview I had was a writing sample, two round table discussions with people who have the job you are applying for, an interview with an assistant manager, and then the manager.

They repeat the questions a lot. They try to make you nervous by asking a lot of questions in a short amount of time. It's really not that bad.

Interview Question – What animal characterizes your work ethic?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The compensation was lower than expected. I got another job with a higher salary.

Interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Interview Details – Multiple rounds, focus on behavior

Interview Question – Greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2012.

Interview Details – After a basic phone screen there are two interview rounds. The first involves interviews with several managers and senior team members. They all have varying interview styles so be prepared for various types of questions. Honest answers rather than pre-rehearsed responses are valued. There are also sessions with junior team members in our to establish whether the candidate would fit with the office culture. Second round involves more intense interviews and also transparency where a candidate learns the day to day operations of position. Asking questions of the managers when prompted is very important.

Interview Question – Some managers will try to revisiting tough questions about weaknesses etc. Again honesty and consistency is valued. Make sure answers are consistent through out interview. Managers will often look unengaged because they are recording notes on the candidates responses during an interview, this can be distracting but the candidate should not be phased by this. It is important to be candid in sessions with junior team members as often these sessions can be just as important as the interviews with managers. If you are not a finance of business major be prepared for questions about why you are interested in working in the financial sector.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Interview Details – 4 stages of interviewing process

Interview Question – Behavour related questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a better offer at Goldman Sachs.

Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in March 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple rounds of interviews

First round was an initial phone screening. Lasted less than half an hour with questions about resume and basic behavioral questions. A few days later, I got a call to come in for the Open House interview round.

Open house interview round with multiple candidates together for a round robbin interview. The round started off with a presentation given by current or former Junior Associates to give a background of the company and position. Lasted about 45 minutes. After that was a round of two interviews, one with a manager and one with HR. The manager interviewer didn't seem too personable, and it was a bit difficult getting good back and forth discussion with him. Both interviewers asked the "what is your weakness" question. The answer would be brought up in later interviews.

Round after that was about a two hour interview process. It began with additional overview of the position and showing the system that would be used to track information. After that was a round table discussion with three employees working in the position being interviewed for to give an "employee" view of what you would be doing. Then there was a "practical" component that required writing an email based on a list of information needed to be gathered. It ended with an in-person interview with the manager of the group they were considering you for. For me, it was the same manager from the Open House.

Did not enjoy the manager interview. The manager was abrasive and seemed over-confident in his abilities. He seemed to treat the position like grunt work but expected a high level of intelligence/capability, mostly trying to prod at any response that he didn't think was good enough. The majority of the time, it felt more like an inquisition than an interview. A few questions bordered on inappropriate, asking about my emotional state (because his abrasive personality got me a bit flustered) and questioning work ethic (I was essentially told I didn't have an appropriate work ethic because I wasn't a college athlete and didn't work two jobs in college to support myself).

Overall the interview process was good except for the time spent with the manager I would be working under. Had I not interviewed with him, I probably would have wanted the job. I accepted a job at another company before hearing back about the interview, although I would not have accepted had it been offered.

Interview Question – "What are you weaknesses" question from every person I interviewed with.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in June 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 3 on-site 1:1 interviews going over your resume and background-- very basic. Final round on-site interview was very long. Some of it was informational and you had the opportunity to speak with current associates which was great. Unfortunately, some of the 'upper level' people you interview with at this stage ask some strange questions and aren't so nice. Would not have wanted to work for them.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, what animal would you be?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, one with HR, another with hiring manager. In person interview. Final interview with director.

Interview Question – What do we do at this office?   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview Details – Phone interview, skype interview, in person interview, follow up final phone interview. Phone interview was basic, the in person interviews tried to bring out any skepticism created in skype interview. More of "are you a good fit" than "are you qualified".

Interview Question – Identify three biggest weaknesses - won't take half-assed answers. Make you dig for this. Also had a pretty straight forward writing piece. Just to see how professional you can be in writing an email.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - strict on pay, start date was negotiable.

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in May 2012.

Interview Details – The actual interview process consisted of 3 consecutive days of interviews. The first interview was a phone screen where basic background questions were asked. The second interview consisted of four 30-minute interviews with either managers or assistant managers. They all asked the same questions with a curve ball here and there. The third interview consisted of interviewing with 3 managers and the director of the department.

Interview Question – Name 3 weaknesses.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Worked for Cambridge Associates, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cambridge Associates, LLC Junior Research Associate interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cambridge Associates, LLC employees and interview candidates.