Cambridge Consultants Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

3.5

SummerMathematician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cambridge Consultants.

Short 30 minute interview by phone. This was followed by coming in for a day of interviews and a tour of the offices. Had a short HR interview followed by three mathematical interviews that were all around 45 minutes each. Got a rejection letter in the post, asked for feedback but they didn't provide any.

Interview Questions
    • There was a part of an interview where they asked what I thought were obscure MATLAB commands, e.g. cat(dim,A,B). This is the only one I remember as it was one of the few that I knew.
      Another question was: I have 12 balls, one of them is either lighter than or heavier than the rest. If I have a set of scales (like a old fashioned balance, can put some balls on one side, some on the other.) How many measurements do I need to make to find which ball is heavier/lighter than the others?

View Answer

Graduate Analytical Engineer - Medical Devices Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Consultants in January 2015.

In order to get to the interview stage, you need to first send a CV. If the recruiting manager/technical lead is interested they will organise a phone interview. This went very well for me. I was asked some general questions about my motivation, interest in mathematical & physics theory. In addition I was asked to describe some of my university projects and my final year dissertation project. This landed me the interview, to which I attended. The face-to-face interview consisted of 4 x 45 minute discussions with different people.

The first was from HR, to give a bit of background regarding the company, some of the benefits they offer and to judge my motivation.

The second was a Principle Engineer working within the Analytical Modelling Team within the Medical Devices Group. This was very technical and it just so happened that the interviewer had undertaking a PhD and Post-Doctorate research in the area I was just starting to study for my dissertation project. Admittedly this meant I wasn't able to convince him of my knowledge in that particular area. Other questions were related to use of Finite Element Analysis software and some other questions relating to thermodynamics and materials on a white board. This was a new experience for myself and quite tricky. Be prepared to revise old content from Years 1 - 3 as it will be come up!

The third interviewer was a Senior Engineer within the Modelling Team and their approach was to ask some fundamental mathematical and physics questions off the top of their head. This meant that you were put very much on the spot and you had to think quickly regarding concepts that you may not have touched upon in a couple of years. It just so happened that I wasn't able to convincingly answer the questions in the time allocation we had.

The final interview was more of an informal chat with another one of the team from the Medical Devices Group. This included a tour of the facilities and lunch in the staff canteen. This was very laid back and allowed a nice conversation to develop. At this point, this was the end of the interview.

I then made my way back home via public transport etc. However, CC will pay your expenses (I was paid a hotel room just round the corner of the Science Park) and taxi/train fares.

I felt that they were looking for someone with a PhD + post-doc research experience, even though the job was advertised to those on course to obtain a 1st class degree in Masters degree.

I didn't get the job in the end and when I asked for feedback I got nothing. This was the one negative aspect of this experience. However, overall the learning experience was extremely valuable.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between implicit and explicit dynamic FEA simulations, and in what situations (applications) would you use each one and why?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Consultants in May 2014.

First a Phone interview going over your CV and a couple of classic interview questions (ex: how did you persuade a supervisor).

Then one day on site, meeting 5 different people for 45 minutes each (HR, directors, etc). They ask typical classic interview questions. one or 2 will give a proper case study. They payback travel expenses on the day.

Interview Questions
    • If you have done a dissertation, one of the interviews will be dedicated on that.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cambridge Consultants in September 2010.

Telephone interview, followed by face to face interview. In-person interview was for the whole day

Interview Questions
    • First half of day covered technical questions, case study. Second half was interpersonal skills.   Answer Question