MasterCard
www.mastercard.com Purchase, NY 5000+ Employees

MasterCard Call Centre Interview Question

I interviewed in Peterborough, England (UK) and was asked:
"Can you say: "Peter Pepper Picked a Pickled Pepper" and cross-sell a washing machine at the same time?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Call Centre Interview Review - one of 94 MasterCard Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 3
- Interview Candidate on Mar 19, 2012 Flag Response
votes
No, I am not a washing machine salesmen.
- Alan on Jan 17, 2013 Flag Response
of 11
votes
First, it is actually "Peter Piper picked a PECK OF pickled peppers."
Next, you can't pick pickled peppers. You must pick the peppers first, THEN you pickle them. So more accurately, you could say that "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickling peppers."
But, I suppose if Peter Piper picked some pickled peppers from a pile of pickled peppers on a table or from a pepper pot packed with peppers, then he would be picking the pickled peppers. The trick of the question is the assumption they are being picked from a vine, rather from a vendor's cart.
As for how many… a peck is 8 quarts, and many people will "can" their pickles in quart jars, so fully depending on the size of your pickle (no snickering), just take a jar-full and multiply it by 8.
In short, if Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers (from a vendors cart), he would have picked 8 jars of pickles. Probably stocking up for a long winter.
- Glen on Jan 17, 2013 Flag Response
of 9
votes
Although I am clearly qualified to multi-task, I would be doing my client a disservice by providing them with alliteration when they would seem to be more interested in the features and benefits of a potential product.
- Emiri on Jan 17, 2013 Flag Response
votes
Depends, what's the washing machine buying?
- Bob on Jan 17, 2013 Flag Response
of 1
If you have a washing machined called a "Pickled Pepper" then I'm sure I could convince a customer to buy one based on Peter Piper's recent purchase.
- Rich on Jan 17, 2013 Flag Response
of 2
votes
Doing that doesn't really seem very appropriate.
- Anonymous on Jan 17, 2013 Flag Response
votes
Will I be selling washing machines will on break?
- Shane on Jan 17, 2013 Flag Response
votes
I checked out your company Web site before the interview and did not see that you sold washers. (in a very dead pan tone of voice)
- Louis on Jan 18, 2013 Flag Response
of 3
votes
Yes of course. The washing machine probably doesn't actually need a cross, but after I impress it with my fancy allieration skills, I'm sure I can close the sale!
- Jim on Jan 18, 2013 Flag Response
of 14
votes
This washing machine is so fast that by the time you say "Peter Pepper Picked a Pickled Pepper' your clothes will be clean!
- Mariana on Jan 19, 2013 Flag Response
Great answer Mariana!
- Xenia on Jan 22, 2013 Flag Response
Aye:
'Peter Pepper Picked a Pickled Pepper. Pickled Pepper plucked from Peter's pocket by picky pickpocket punkster. Stir stirred punkster stained his short sleeved sweaty shirt. Whiz washing machine winds up this nonsense wryly'
- Paul Tudor Oprea on Jan 23, 2013 Flag Response
votes
Yep! Twist tongue till makes my job done.
- CC on Jan 25, 2013 Flag Response
votes
I thought it was marketing question, when I saw it was for call center job.. now I understand how tough a call center job is or a PROs job... but why cross selling!
- pp on Jan 31, 2013 Flag Response
votes
I may not now forget master card.. this advt. caught my eyes.. MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects.... I love marketing people but I hate their lies!
- pp on Jan 31, 2013 Flag Response
votes
Can you repeat that question?
- really on Mar 4, 2013 Flag Response
Absolutely!
- Anon on Apr 21, 2013 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

MasterCard – Why Work for Us?

NOT JUST SHAPING THE FUTURE. CHANGING IT. Here at MasterCard, we work at the heart of commerce. While our people around the world may be engaged in any number of interesting and exciting projects at any given time, we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MasterCard interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by MasterCard employees and interview candidates.