General Motors
www.gm.com Detroit, MI 5000+ Employees

General Motors Finance Manager TRACK Program Interview Question

"Can your cost of debt ever be greater than your cost of equity?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a Finance Manager TRACK Program Interview Review - one of 305 General Motors Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 0
votes
Disclaimer: The interviewer didn't like my answer.

Technically your cost of debt can't be higher than your cost of equity because equity takes on more risk in case of bankruptcy because it falls in the back of the line. However, if you are too highly leveraged then your cost of debt would get pushed really high because of lower credit rankings, frightened suppliers, and other potential bankruptcy costs. This would push your cost of equity higher as well. Therefore, your cost of equity would still be higher than the cost of debt at that point but the increase in both was due to taking on too much debt. I would argue then that the cost of debt was higher than the cost of equity.
- Interview Candidate on Dec 7, 2013 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

General Motors – Why Work for Us?

At GM, we believe that striking a positive work-life balance leads to an engaged, productive work force. In fact, we believe that by empowering our employees to explore flextime and telecommuting options, not only can… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.