Canadian National Railway Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2015

2.3

Carman Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gladstone, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway (Gladstone, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online during February of 2015, the process was surprisingly fast. I flew out to Michigan and because of my previous training I was told that I would be months ahead of any other applicant they would normally interview. They asked me question about the Airbrake Test and the common Gages Carman use daily. They seemed to enjoy the answers I gave them and I'm hoping to hear back.

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homewood, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway (Homewood, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

This was my second time interviewing for this position in a 3 month time window. First interview I wasn't selected....but because of my persistence i'm guessing this was why I was selected this time around. I accepted the offer, and currently awaiting my background and drug test results to clear.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of safety?   1 Answer
    • If we were to contact your former employer, what 3 things would they say about you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to be resourceful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Union position, wages weren't negotiable.

Train Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

Interview

orientation and that weeds out the nobodys. Then they interview and you wait. You take a basic test at the interview regarding switching operation and the movements you would do to make a train. Very simple but you have to do better than a 90% to move on in the process.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding the train operation and rules. 150 questions and have to know ALL signals   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Junior Railroader- Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Had to fill out the required paperwork and documentation. Got a phone interview. They asked simple behavioural questions and about my resume. Nothing technical or hard, fairly simple and straight forward.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating available for co-ops

Transportation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway in June 2011.

Interview

To time consuming and not well explained. The job was not reslly explain as in having to be gone from home most of the time and you'd know your crew better than you know your family.

Interview Questions

• Is it ok to steal from an employer?   1 Answer

Track Laborer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Canadian National Railway (Stevens Point, WI) in February 2010.

Interview

It was a fairly basic interview. Mostly discussing your previous employment and asking questions to make sure you are OK with certain aspects of the job, such as; travel, performing strenuous labor, being on call, or working nights. The interview consisted our two people evaluating you and lasted approximately an hour.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any issues with traveling? You can be gone for a week or longer at times.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was good. They ask you initially if you agree to the shifts they have. A Human Resources person and the Senior Supervisor for Customer Service interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a situation where you have to be resourceful and what did you do?   Answer Question

Assistant Track Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

Interview

Tell us about yourself. Tell us about a time when you used your leadership skills. Tell us about a time when you used your communication skills. Tell us about a time when you used your problem solving skills

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a link for a personality and a pre-employment math and English test. After I submitted the tests, CN contacted me a few days later for an interview. When I arrived at the facility I filled out a background check and they took a copy of my ID and SIN number. Two days after the interview I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Interview was pretty straightforward, very formal though. Asked me how my educational path was inline with a future career and why they should hire me.   Answer Question

Accounting Receivable Interview

Interview

interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex. interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex. interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex. interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex.