Canadian National Railway

2.4

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homewood, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homewood, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway in January 2015.

This was my second time interviewing for this position in a 3 month time window. First interview I wasn't selected....but because of my persistence i'm guessing this was why I was selected this time around. I accepted the offer, and currently awaiting my background and drug test results to clear.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of safety?   View Answer
    • If we were to contact your former employer, what 3 things would they say about you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to be resourceful.   Answer Question
    Union position, wages weren't negotiable.

Train Conductor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

orientation and that weeds out the nobodys. Then they interview and you wait. You take a basic test at the interview regarding switching operation and the movements you would do to make a train. Very simple but you have to do better than a 90% to move on in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding the train operation and rules. 150 questions and have to know ALL signals   Answer Question
    N/A

Track Laborer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

The process took a dayinterviewed at Canadian National Railway in February 2010.

It was a fairly basic interview. Mostly discussing your previous employment and asking questions to make sure you are OK with certain aspects of the job, such as; travel, performing strenuous labor, being on call, or working nights. The interview consisted our two people evaluating you and lasted approximately an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any issues with traveling? You can be gone for a week or longer at times.   Answer Question

Assistant Track Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

Tell us about yourself. Tell us about a time when you used your leadership skills. Tell us about a time when you used your communication skills. Tell us about a time when you used your problem solving skills

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway in January 2015.

Applied online, received a link for a personality and a pre-employment math and English test. After I submitted the tests, CN contacted me a few days later for an interview. When I arrived at the facility I filled out a background check and they took a copy of my ID and SIN number. Two days after the interview I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was pretty straightforward, very formal though. Asked me how my educational path was inline with a future career and why they should hire me.   Answer Question

Accounting Receivable Interview

interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex. interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex. interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex. interview was done in 2 steps. conversational interview, nothing too complex.

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

One in-person interview with HR.
    One in-person interview with hiring manager.
    All questions were generic and common interview questions. Nothing out of ordinary.
    No problem solving question at all.

Railroad Conductor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

1. Apply for job, 2. Online testing, 3. Group presentation from management and HR, afterwards if you are successful with the skills testing you move onto a face to face interview, 4. Medical testing and drug testing, 5. Job offer.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do when you found a co-worker doing something unsafe in the workplace?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. All trainees start at the same salary, once fully trained you move onto an hourly rate (if in the yard) and a per mile rate (if on the road)

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

Hiring process involved a skill test, interview with HR / management and medical.

Interview Questions
    • Point out a safety flaw in a previous employer that should have been fixed but wasn't and why did you keep working through it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation in entry pay, $900 a week for conductor training. Once you were done 9 weeks of class room training and 45 training shifts you were making the same as other conductors.

Market Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Canadian National Railway.

A phone interview with a HR representative is followed up with an in office interview. The in office interview is conducted by managers from several commodity groups who will be working with you directly and an HR representative.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. You will not be aware of what commodity group managers will be interviewing you beforehand, so it is possible that you may be thrown off by industry specific questions.

As with any interview, make sure you have background knowledge of the company.

Answer Question
    The offer was provided and a window of opportunity was given to consider the offer.