Canadian Natural

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Intelligence Co-op Interview

Business Intelligence Co-op

Interviewed at Canadian Natural

Interview Details – Applied online through CNRL's career site in late May for the September work term (8 months). Received a phone call about three weeks later from HR Recruiter to set up an phone interview with the department manager and supervisor who I would be working with. Questions were all behavioral based.

Interview Question – - What do you know about CNRL? Why do you want to work here?
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- Tell me about a time you set a goal for yourself and how you went about achieving it
- Where do you see yourself 3-5 years from now?
- When was a time you had a problem with a team member/co-worker? How did you resolve it?
- When was a time you were under pressure/faced a tight schedule and what did you do?
  View Answer

Business Analyst/Project Management Interview

Business Analyst/Project Management

I applied through other source and interviewed at Canadian Natural.

Interview Details – Typical HR boilerplate interviews, asking the same questions that are a dozen years old. No basic courtesies offered - I was kept waiting 30 minutes, no offer of a drink or opportunity to hang up my coat. Interviews usually with >1 person, then usually a second given with higher management if you pass the first interview. Poor attempt was made to make you feel comfortable, which properly predicted that it isn't a 'kind and gentle' place to work.

Interview Question – All were pretty standard. Nothing creative or weird - pretty old school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were not particularly open to negotiation.

Accounting Student Interview

Accounting Student

I applied online and interviewed at Canadian Natural.

Interview Details – Phone interview for out-of-town student; had only one interview directly with department manager and supervisor - mainly focused on fit and skill set match. And talked about expectation and length of contract

Interview Question – Probed on my previous experience and tie it into my current job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Mine Training Shovel Specialist Interview

Mine Training Shovel Specialist
Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Canadian Natural in February 2012.

Interview Details – First contact by email, then a couple of phone interviews, all questions answered, then paid flight ticket and acomodation for a formal interview, also a thorough tour on Fort McMurray whit all the acomodation options and Family/Social activities availables.
The interviú was friendly, they know what they were looking for.
Group Interview.

Interview Question – None I remember, direct questions about specific problems to deal with, question about complex escenarios and personality related question about training proccess.
They were interested in the different chalenge of previews jobs and they were open to the use of new aproches to a modern training proccess.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was fair and above the market, they were flexible and understanding, one of the most enjoyable experiance in my 15 years in the business.

Field Operator Interview

Field Operator
Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Canadian Natural in October 2012.

Interview Details – Behavoural phone interview and face tot face with operations manager from another business unit, followed up by another phone conversation from the manager of the business unit I was applying for. Drug test to follow. Checked my references. Very long process. I was given two possible start dates. I was asked technical questions about the processes for the plant I was asking for.

Interview Question – Behavoural questions, greatest weekness or how do you handle conflict.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered the top of the payscale, I made the move to relocate.

Information Systems Developer Intern Interview

Information Systems Developer Intern
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Canadian Natural in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was very simple. I was asked about questions about my school projects and my individual projects from my resume. I was asked what the experience was like working with a team and what challenges I faced. I was also asked some behavioural questions about my best experience with a team and worst experience with a team. I was also asked about my experience in my previous employment.

Interview Question – There was none to be honest. Every questions was very expected and simple to answer.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Engineering Co-op Student
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Canadian Natural in January 2013.

Interview Details – Most questions are "describe a time when...". mostly a behavior based interview, no really hard questions, no technical questions. The interviewers were very laid back and was very easy to have a good conversation, came out of interview knowing exactly what the position entailed. Not hard, overall good experience

Interview Question – "describe a time when you had to deal with a conflict at work and how you dealt with it"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable, have set pay scales for summer students. Will help for relocation for students moving far to their job, esecially for moving to filed positions.

Summer Student At Horizon Interview

Summer Student At Horizon
Fort McMurray, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Canadian Natural in February 2012.

Interview Details – Got an interview though the Coop department at my university.
Phone interview (~10 questions, less than 20 min) behavior based.
What would you do in this situation sort-of-thing based on your previous job experiences. How you handle conflicts.
The interview was short and sweet, very straight forward and professional.
Got and offer and accepted within seven days through the Coop department at my university.

Interview Question – Have you ever had to question (confront) an opinion / decision of someone higher that you   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. Offer was sent to me through the Coop Department at my school. no negotiation with HR was possible at that time.

Geologist Interview

Geologist
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Canadian Natural.

Interview Details – One interview that lasted approximately one hour. Mostly personality based questions to see if you would ft in with the team. Very limited HR involvement was appreciated as it made the process more efficient. Resumes are looked at by area managers and not HR which allowed for better chance of getting an interview.

Interview Question – What type of manager do you prefer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated start time which was very flexible.

Internship Interview

Internship

Interviewed at Canadian Natural

Interview Details – "We're going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and be yourself. After you'll have the opportunity to ask us any questions you may have. Remember, this interview not only allows us to get to know you, but for you to get know us and how our company operates."

Why did you apply to Canadian Natural?

Do you know anyone who currently works for CNRL or has completed an internship in the past?

Describe a time where you had a conflict with a co-worker/colleague and explain how you resolved it.

Describe a time when you were a leader.

Describe a time when you used scientific/engineering principles to solve a problem you currently have.

Describe a group project you have worked on in the past. What role did you have in the group and what were your responsibilities? What were your accomplishments and how did you contribute to the group?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

What's the Price of oil?

Do you know where we operate (list locations)?

Do you have any questions for us?

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed a task. What did you do wrong? What did you learn from your mistake?   Answer Question

Worked for Canadian Natural? Contribute to the Community!