Canadian Natural Resources Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015

2.6

Business Intelligence Co-op Interview

Interview

Applied online through CNRL's career site in late May for the September work term (8 months). Received a phone call about three weeks later from HR Recruiter to set up an phone interview with the department manager and supervisor who I would be working with. Questions were all behavioral based.

Interview Questions

• - What do you know about CNRL? Why do you want to work here? - What are your strengths/weaknesses? - Tell me about a time you set a goal for yourself and how you went about achieving it - Where do you see yourself 3-5 years from now? - When was a time you had a problem with a team member/co-worker? How did you resolve it? - When was a time you were under pressure/faced a tight schedule and what did you do?   1 Answer

Business Analyst/Project Management Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Canadian Natural Resources.

Interview

Typical HR boilerplate interviews, asking the same questions that are a dozen years old. No basic courtesies offered - I was kept waiting 30 minutes, no offer of a drink or opportunity to hang up my coat. Interviews usually with >1 person, then usually a second given with higher management if you pass the first interview. Poor attempt was made to make you feel comfortable, which properly predicted that it isn't a 'kind and gentle' place to work.

Interview Questions

• All were pretty standard. Nothing creative or weird - pretty old school.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were not particularly open to negotiation.

Engineering Student Interview

Interview

Applied on their website. Contacted thought school career center. The interview took place at my school with one HR and one former student intern. Didn't tell me about if I got an offer or not. Got a phone call about phone interview one month later.

Interview Questions

• What's a challenge you had to face in your past experience?   Answer Question

Interview

There was 3 persons interviewing me.First it was sort of easy going and natural atmosphere, but later on when it came to problem-solving questions, to me suddenly easy going atmosphere vanished at a glance. Yah, as a new immigrant never working in Canad it was hard for me to cope with these sort of questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your weakest professional characteristics?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Canadian Natural Resources in August 2014.

Interview

I went throught he first phase, the telephone interviw. Thye asked me several questiona bout my past experience. Also asked if I was willing to relocate to Fort McMurray or Calgary.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was what is my expected salary.   1 Answer

Accounting Student Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Canadian Natural Resources.

Interview

Phone interview for out-of-town student; had only one interview directly with department manager and supervisor - mainly focused on fit and skill set match. And talked about expectation and length of contract

Interview Questions

• Probed on my previous experience and tie it into my current job   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Canadian Natural Resources (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

On-Campus Recruiting. Attended a career fair at my school and obtained a next day interview. There were two people interviewing me: a recruiter and a process engineer. The interview was behavioral type. The company did not have a status system to alert you what part of the process you are in.

Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Canadian Natural Resources (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

One interview that lasted approximately one hour. Mostly personality based questions to see if you would ft in with the team. Very limited HR involvement was appreciated as it made the process more efficient. Resumes are looked at by area managers and not HR which allowed for better chance of getting an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated start time which was very flexible.

Internship Interview

Interview

"We're going to ask you a series of questions. Just relax and be yourself. After you'll have the opportunity to ask us any questions you may have. Remember, this interview not only allows us to get to know you, but for you to get know us and how our company operates." Why did you apply to Canadian Natural? Do you know anyone who currently works for CNRL or has completed an internship in the past? Describe a time where you had a conflict with a co-worker/colleague and explain how you resolved it. Describe a time when you were a leader. Describe a time when you used scientific/engineering principles to solve a problem you currently have. Describe a group project you have worked on in the past. What role did you have in the group and what were your responsibilities? What were your accomplishments and how did you contribute to the group? Describe a time when you failed a task. What did you do wrong? What did you learn from your mistake? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What's the Price of oil? Do you know where we operate (list locations)? Do you have any questions for us?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed a task. What did you do wrong? What did you learn from your mistake?   Answer Question

Document Control Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Canadian Natural Resources.

Interview

Initial phone interview, was told that over 1000 applications for this position had been received. Second phone interview, asked behavioral questions, career direction, discussed previous experience on resume. 3rd interview was in person with department manager and HR. Manager discussed how there is high turnover in department, and that job is stressful, repetitive and boring at times.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with repetitive or boring tasks.   1 Answer