Canadian Pacific Railway Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

3.2

Service Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

1) Initial phone interview 2) Then a half-day "job preview" that consisted of skills assessment (math and typing tests), job shadowing and behavioral interview. The behavioral interview consisted of four separate questions and were fairly easy to answer. The interview was conducted by two supervisors who worked in the department for which I was applying. Although each of the questions was open ended, each of the interviewers asked questions and wanted further details when I answered. If you have had any type of customer service experience, the behavioral interview will be a breeze as long as you take your time and answer the questions that they are asking.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to act on something important, but were unprepared to do so.   Answer Question

The job requires to be on call 24/7 and mandatory overtime. If I was younger and didn't have young children, I would be all over this job. The benefits and pay are excellent, but they expect you to devote your life to the company and job.

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Detroit, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Long long long long tedious and a monotony filled experience if I ever had one truly difficult to get on cp rail, one of the highest paying railroads but most difficult to get hired with

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked in adverse weather conditions and were highly stressed   Answer Question

Cnductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview was conducted on the phone and the questions asked were more of behavioral and personality questions. They told me of all the major challenges associated with the job especially the schedule and the fact that relocation is a must. You will begin your career in a remote location and then gradually you will be promoted to the city.

Interview Questions

• Just Personal Questions. They were more interested in knowing if you can cope with the schedule (Life style)   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

Contacted by email for an interview. I was interviewed by two people who were both friendly. Three questions about why I wanted the position, why I wanted to work for CP and what skills I had applicable to the position. Five behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you have to pay very close attention to detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate as it is a unionized position.

BUSINESS SYSTEMS SPECIALIST Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

Online application process which included completing candidate profile - straight forward and took less than 15 mins. Received auto reply email confirmation after application submission. Request for Phone/Skype Interview received via email 2 days later. All communication was done on email, no phone contact. Skype Interview scheduled within a week with hiring manager and another senior IT manager, plus HR/Recruiter who coordinated the call. Fairly casual approach to meeting and interview questions. Both managers introduced themselves and shared asking questions. Difficult at times to understand as the line was not always clear. Notified of interview outcome just over a week later via email. Total rewards and benefits never discussed, however salary expectations were asked both at initial application and Skype Interview. Company would not disclose salary range nor provide any further detail on what rewards & benefits were included, which made it difficult to answer the question.

Interview Questions

• Interview consisted of a mix of behavioural, situational, hypothetical and open ended questions. Informal and casual approach. Seemed 'off the cuff' and not following interview guide or set of standard questions. No structure or flow to the interview questions either.   1 Answer

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway.

Interview

Initial interview was in telephone format and it was with 3 individuals. One two were department managers, and one was a representative from Human Resources. The second interview was in person, and with the two departmental managers mentioned earlier. There were only two rounds of interviews for this position. They had ashed a series of behavioral and situational questions concluding with why i had wanted to work at CP

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question face had to do with "What types of variables would you consider in a Financial model when running a special train service". Given that I had no exposure to the railway industry I found this question extremely challenging   1 Answer

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Interview

3 interview in total. the first one is telephone interview which lasted about 30 minutes. the second one is onsite with HR. the last one is with the hiring manager. the whole process lasted more than 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• easy interview which is good   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation phase

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway in December 2013.

Interview

The interview was a "behavioural interview" with only four questions. The situations did not directly relate to key experience so it was difficult to respond appropriately.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you would improve our websites?   1 Answer

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2013.

Interview

Very poor meeting with very few technical questions. There were about 4 people in the Interview to ask me and they were all very nice. Two of them became my manager/dir later. Personality questions were very straight forward.

Interview Questions

• Q- What is the difference between QA and QC.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very easy and accepted what I asked.

Market Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway in July 2011.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call from the the HR coordinator for a Group Interview. The interview took place in Mississauga. It was an hour long. Included behavioral questions and a technical questions. Two individuals alternated with the questions. The last bit of the conversation was a regular conversation. Follow up took place a couple of weeks after the interview.