Canadian Tire Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2014

2.4

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Canadian Tire in February 2012.

Great visibility to the process, great ongoing communication through the three-stage process (phone interview with Staffing, manager face-to-face, executive face-to-face).

Interview Questions
    • How can you add value to the organization/what are your perceptions of the business needs and what in your background/experience will help us resolve those needs?   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Canadian Tire in March 2013.

Had interview with HR over the phone. Asked very specific questions regarding previous work experience. Then received had an interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager asked lot of technical and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you were not able to meet a deadline and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation.

Analyst Interview

Application, Phone Interview, In-Person Interview, Background check, Offer

Category Implementation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

interviewed at Canadian Tire in July 2013.

After the initial online application there is a phone screen with an HR representative. The phone screen will ask about your understanding of the role and its place in the company, your experience and how it relates to the company, etc.

After the phone screen, if you are successful, you will interview with the hiring manager. This interview will differ based on the hiring manager as there is no pre-set question list and the manager may ask whatever questions they like. Be prepared for questions about your experience and how it will relate to the role, your comfort and ability with Excel and Access, and about your problem solving skills. Also be prepared to explain some of the strengths/weaknesses of the category you're interviewing for. Again depending on the hiring manager and the number of roles open, you may be invited back to interview with a Vice President and/or another manager, or you might get an offer after the initial interview.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked for a competitive analysis of the company in the category I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Sports/Seasonal/Hardware/Housewares Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Canadian Tire.

I did most hiring and the interview process usually would consist of meeting and getting to know 4-5 people in which 1 of those would be chosen for the position. Some stores do no interviews so you basically go in and start, others are even more detailed and will have follow up interviews as well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a specific situation in your last job (or life experience) that you had to make a difficult decision. How did you solve it? Why did you choose that method to solve it?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Canadian Tire in September 2013.

I applied for the position in August and was contacted via e-mail in September for a phone interview.

1st Interview: Phone with HR
    This lasted about 15 minutes and was very basic. She asked me to go through my past experience, strengths/weaknesses, why I wanted to work at CT, and what my greatest accomplishment was to date. She also asked what my salary expectations were and then we set up an in-person interview which took place a week later.

2nd Interview: At CT Office with 1 HR and 2 DLMs(Divisional Logistics Manager)
    This lasted about 45 min and was very heavy on behavioural questions. They asked me to explain a time where: I had to make a decision with little-to-no information, a time where I lead a team, a time where I had a conflict, what I knew about the position (they will be very impressed if you can nail this question), and there was some overlap in questions that I had answered in the 1st interview. They got back to me exactly 2 weeks after my interview to schedule a 3rd interview which was a case study.

3rd Interview: Case Study at CT Office with 2 DLMs
    I was e-mailed the case study the day before my interview and was required to complete the 2 cases prior to my interview. This interview also lasted about 45 minutes. They asked me to go over my resume, asked me some behavioural questions regarding how I plan projects and some other ones that I don't remember. During the last 15 minutes, they asked me to go through the solutions I had prepared for the case study in a presentation format. They jotted down my answers but didn't give any feedback.

One week after the case study, I received an e-mail indicating that I was placed in the Supply Chain Analyst candidate pool. This means that when a SCA position opens that matches my skill set, I will be given a formal offer of employment.

Overall, the experience was a good one. All people, aside from the HR person were different in each of my interviews (hence some repetition in questions). It was fairly relaxed, but make sure you know what you're talking about. And don't be worried about getting the answer "right" in the case study. I'm sure it's just a matter of figuring out how you think.

Good luck!

Analyst, Product & Environmental Stewardship Operations, Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Canadian Tire in September 2013.

1) First Round: HR Screens
    2) Structured interview with the Manager + HR
    3) Simple straight forward questions

Interview Questions
    • Standard Interview questions; i.e.
      Tell me abt yourself
      Rate your excel/ppt expertise from beginner to expert
      Strengths and weakness
      No technical questions
        Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Canadian Tire in July 2012.

Culture is warm. Vetted through my resume, then a meeting with HR first, followed by an interview by the person I would be reporting to, 3rd interview was with his manager for approval, and then a 4th for overall review approval again with HR and my report to. It came down to myself and one other.

Interview Questions
    • To provide situational examples of not meeting the mark on a project with specific reasons.   Answer Question

Coordinator, Dealer Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Canadian Tire in September 2013.

I did a phone interview and in-person interview. The staff were incredibly friendly, the questions were all very normal (tell us about yourself, skills, weaknesses, experience, etc.). The only thing that threw me was the the job listing and initial interview led me to believe I was interviewing for a job that integrated HR skills and training, and then when I arrived for the in-person interview I was told it was more of an executive assistant role.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, there were no exceptionally difficult questions...   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Canadian Tire in March 2011.

I applied for the job in person after hearing from the friend of a worker that the management preferred a hand-in to online. I was initially contacted in the beginning of March (three weeks after my hand-in), but it took until the beginning of April before they were prepared to schedule an interview. It then took a further four weeks with two follow-up calls before they would give me a decision regarding the position. I found the whole process really lengthy without any reasonable excuse.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you have a history of on-the-job accidents? We get a lot of those here."   View Answer

Worked for Canadian Tire? Contribute to the Community!