CapTel Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.2

Captioning Assistant Interview

Cai started the application then forgot about it, they actually called me to finish applying. Got an interview immediately and was hired at my interview for training the following week.

At the interview you do voice recognition tests as well as a spelling test

Interview Questions
    • Had to listen to a recording and repeat it word for word   Answer Question
    I made a huge mistake on availability. I was desperate for a job and put I could work between 8-11, ended up working till 11. And it's virtually impossible to completely switch from night to day. I did day training, lasted a month.

As a warning people drop like flies from the training class. I watched someone get fired mid-day, it was awkward

Captioning Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at CapTel.

Interview process takes 45 minutes and be prepared. You will need to take a typing test (required is 30 wpm) a spelling test, which can be tricky - I happened to pass, but know several that did not pass. The last part is a revoicing test. You will have a set of headphones on, you will hear a sentence or two and you need to revoice / repeat what you heard as the talker talks. Note: if you don't pass any of the 3, you will not be hired and will have to re-take the test again until you pass. I was offered the position after passing the tests, that same day.

Interview Questions
    BE SURE TO KNOW YOUR AVAILABILITY RIGHT AWAY. It is VERY HARD to change your schedule once hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CapTel in September 2014.

I applied online in August 2014 and received a follow up email and phone call to come in for testing. I was taken into an office and given a desk to sit at. First was the typing test which I passed. Then the spelling test which I also passed. Then the re-voicing test which I failed. The tester told me I could come back and test again within 30 days if I wished.

I went home and practiced. I paid $20.00 for an online typing tutorial to increase my typing speed and I found a stenography site to practice re-voicing. I went back for the re-test in September 2014. This time I met with a different tester. She took me into a different room and sat me down not at a desk but a cabinet with a computer on top and a slide out keyboard. She gave me the re-voicing test first which I passed. Then she gave me the typing test. The typing test involves the use of a foot pedal. The first time in August went without incident. This time the foot pedal was jammed under the cabinet. I had to ask the tester to pull it out as I have trouble bending down due to orthopedic issues. I sat back down and proceeded to take the test.

Now, this isn't a desk it’s a cabinet with a computer on top. I had to squish myself up against the cabinet to get at the keyboard. I’m disabled so there’s no way I could maintain that posture to work. I couldn't extend my foot under the cabinet so I had to hold my foot up in the air to use the foot pedal. The pedal was junk. I had to step on it two, three times each to start and stop the recording. The tester finally stopped me and said I had typed only 34 wpm. She said I could come back in 90 days and try again. On my way out I passed a security guard in the door way talking with one of the staff. They were discussing an incident from the previous day when security was called to deal with one of the Cap-Tel staff.

I was thinking of going back in 90 days for a re-test but a strange thing happened. I looked on Glassdoor.com and discovered three other applicants who claimed they only had to type 25 or 30 wpm. Are these people lying or are the Cap-Tel testers letting people pass who really don’t qualify. It looked like both testers I met with were doing the grading by hand so I suppose it’s possible. Now I wonder if I really failed the typing test the second time.

Captioning Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CapTel.

Interviewer was very friendly. There was a 4 part skills test: reading, spelling, revoicing, and then typing. The revoicing is probably the most challenging part, as it's not something everyone is used to doing, but they give you some coaching as you go so it's not terribly difficult. If you pass every section, you do a formal interview where they go through your employment history and ask a couple generic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Asked things along the lines of "what would a previous employer say one of your weaknesses are?" and "as a captel user, how would you feel about knowing someone is listening to your calls?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online – interviewed at CapTel.

The interview process is simple. You will be asked to perform simple typing skills that display your speed and accuracy. You will be asked to listen to audio on a headset and then to speak verbatim what is being said while the audio is playing. There will be a simple elementary spelling test where you will need to pick out which words are spelled incorrectly and proceed to spell them in their correct form. This is then followed up by an on the spot interview with another team member and then an on the spot job offer.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions are asked you do not need to have done anything remotely like this in the past to be offered a job. There is an extensive paid training that is 30 days long so you will be prepared to do this no worries.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CapTel in July 2014.

Punctuality is paramount; 10-15 minutes before interview speaks volumes.

First: There is a Assessment Test taken as apart of the Interview Process...which includes:

1. Verbal Reading Out loud of a Reading which does have quite complex wording; clear pronunciation of verbiage is what is of course being assessed: Performed Well!

2. A typing test which the minimum was 30 wpm which I tested at: Passed!

3. Through the use of cutting edge speech recognition technology (also known as speech-to-text). Instead of typing everything that I hear from this recording, I was ask to repeat everything word I heard verbatim which is transmitted into text on the display of the captioning device.
    There were 4 recordings that I was ask to Repeat and I had to score a minimum on at least 2 of the recordings to pass this part of the assessment. I passed 1 out of 4 and was advised that I could retake the assessment in 6 weeks/ or 6 months I think.

4. Vocabulary Test

I was expected to make a minimum score on each assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Was not asked any difficult or unexpected questions; only challenge which should not have been challenge because I was attempting to be perfect I actually got nervous on the second recording and could not regain my concentration to excel as each recording seem to speed up.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at CapTel.

The interview is fairly standard although you are expected to bring in a letter you have written about the CapTel phone addressed to a potential customer. Interviewers take questions directly from your resume, so be ready to answer how your past positions directly relate to Customer Service or working with either the deaf/hard of hearing or with seniors.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the typical 5 weaknesses and trying to relate all your past experiences to the position you are interviewing for. Other difference is that the director is deaf, so there will be an interpreter in the interview also. It can be a little jarring if you are not used to that,   Answer Question
    Only negotiations were about scheduling, work times.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CapTel.

I was hired from within--started as a CA and responded to a job posting in the breakroom. There was a brief phone interview, and then an interview at the office. They asked general questions about troubleshooting and CS skills and experience--nothing unexpected. Next, I had the chance to awkwardly be walked around the building and introduced to every person working that day.

Interview Questions
    • They'll ask about your familiarity with the deaf and hard of hearing community. CapTel's parent company originally produced TTY machines for largely younger deaf people; now with the CapTel phone, the customer base is mostly the elderly. There is still some element of the deaf/HoH culture within the company and its management.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation--they basically offered the job on the spot. The base pay is the same for every employee.

Caption Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CapTel in March 2014.

A short typing test, spelling, and speaking test is done on a computer. The tests are to determine if you can type at least 25 words per minute and read at a high school level. The tests are timed and entered into the computer and immediately graded/rated.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything that was too difficult. The tests are for basic grammar, spelling, speaking clearly.   Answer Question

Captioning Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CapTel in January 2014.

The interview begins with several skill tests, most of which are very easy. I got tripped up on the re-voicing test, however, and was asked to practice that for a week (they recommended repeating audiobooks aloud among a few other things) and call for a retest. I was told 9 out of 10 applicants fail the re-voicing test the first time, which I suspect is not true. Another job I was pursuing fell through for me, so I chose not to retest.