Capco

Very Easy Interview

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Capco in December 2013.

Interview Details – I did a phone screen with a recruiter in Florida who scheduled me for a mass consulting interview night. I was then contacted, a day or two later, by a recruiter in the NY office who rescheduled me for one on one interviews instead. The one on ones were with 2 principal consultants who were handling a specific account that had projects that were ramping up. The focus seemed to be on this specific client since they had a portfolio of projects with them that would need bodies thrown at it.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. The interviews were behavioral and were related to my previous consulting experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me a verbal offer over the phone 2 days after the interview. The offer was lower than expected so I presented a counter. They met me half way (which I expected they would do) and I accepted. I still would have liked more money, but then again who doesn't.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Capco.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR via email. I went to the "ATP interview night". I talked to 4 different consultants. Most of the questions were very general like why do you want to work here, why management consulting, walk me through your resume, etc...

Interview Question – How would you find the weight of an elephant without a scale?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

Interviewed at Capco

Interview Details – Interview was really straightforward and almost completely behavioral.

Interview Question – Everything was pretty standard   Answer Question

New York, NY

I interviewed at Capco in May 2012.

Interview Details – First round began with 12 of us in a room for introductions. We then split off into 3 separate interviews where we were asked about resumes, experience, and questions like, "tell me about something interested that not many other people know about." I was invited back for a second round with the team I would be working with, but didn't make the cut. Second interview consisted of being grilled on tiny details in resume and asking for extra detail each time.

Interview Question – "Why" in relations to most of my answers in the second interview caught my offguard   Answer Question

Summer Associate Program Interview

Summer Associate Program

I interviewed at Capco in March 2013.

Interview Details – initially on campus recruiting, then callbacks for interviews. the interview was very standard fit questions, team capability, etc

Interview Question – ever been faced with a difficult teammate   Answer Question

Internal Applications Support Intern Interview

Internal Applications Support Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capco.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview and then an in person interview, it was all ver quick and friendly

Interview Question – They were just basic interview questions   Answer Question

Associate Talent Program Interview

Associate Talent Program
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capco in February 2013.

Interview Details – First process is HR phone screen with pretty standard questions about resume, day to day, challenges faced, team dynamics questions etc. the phone interview last around 30 mins and the last question would be about expected salary. They give a pretty low rage with a take it or leave it scenario at the very end.

The Second round is face to face interviews with a few senior consultants and one partner. The whole process lasts a few hours. Questions include walk of the resume, knowledge abut capital markets, team dynamics, presentation skills etc.

The third round is an all day even that takes place during the weekend. All the candidates are put into groups and are assigned group activities like preparing a deck of slides of a pretend client and doing project management functions. You will then be faced with an 'unexpected' twist during the exercise which you will have to creatively solve with you team mates. Be prepared to come up with innovative ideas and solutions.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Brush up on Capital Markets and be prepared to think creatively on your feet   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Human Capital Something Or Other, Aka Staffing ?? Interview

Human Capital Something Or Other, Aka Staffing ??
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capco in May 2012.

Interview Details – 4 back to back interviews with HR/HC and 2 of them were no shows. This is really all you need to know. If you want to know more, read on. It was one of the most slapshot recruiting function 've ever seen. Reviews usually don't lie, read the others. If you want mine, from an HR/Talent Management/Human Capital practitioner of 20 years, read on...

My first impression when I came into the NYC office--A big black and white light box wall of Partner’s faces (mostly white males, imagine that, probably from Bearing Point or Accenture) that you can’t miss. I personally found it to be arrogant, pretentious, frankly preposterous posturing (and telling). Now, if you would have showed me a wall of the worker and doobee’s THAT would be a different story. A company is no stronger that the value of its COLLECTION of people who are actually doing the work. Now that would have been a wall to be proud of

The RM was my 1st contact and made an awful impression, set the tone for a desire to leave early. She proceeded to speak about image, look and feel--despite my mention of “stark”--then some revamping of website and décor or something like that. OK, lovely, who cares, (this wasn’t small talk mind you, I was being pitched and sold on company image, all the while she was telling me that’s not how they do things there--i.e., used care salesmenship--she brought it up, not I).

But this went on. And on. And despite me having mentioned I knew there was a rebranding and marketing strategy recently implemented in 2012 (a factoid she did NOT know) and that I noticed a theme of white and clean lines between the office furniture and the website. I had no idea what else to say. We had a mere 35 minutes to get done what we needed to get done, now down to 25 or less, and were quickly running out of time while she continued to run through her own resume.

I’d had exposure to 3 people with recruiting backgrounds (1 was a last minute fill-in for the Hiring Manager out sick--why do you plunk a recruiter into an HM interview???) and only one one person had any more idea of what could do, did, or the kind of value I could add to the operations than they did when I walked in the door because a.) I know my resumes were not reviewed, b.) no one really asked about my experience, my jobs and specifically what roles I played, c.) no one could have effectively assessed my performance because there was no structure and foundation of collecting info except some scribbled notes in the white space margins. Plus of course, they only conducted 2 of the 4 back to back interviews--#2 was like I said out sick, #4 got canceled due to "other emergency priorities". Great way to respect a potential job candidates time!!!!!

I heard the phrase and I quote: “We don’t have trouble attracting talent, we have trouble keeping it.” And guess what? NO kidding!! And that there would be a significant emphasis, placed on the ability to effectively assess and measure retention and exit. No wonder the retention process is broken—the upfront process in the talent cycle is broken, waning, ineffective and moot. And when the hiring process isn't utilizing best practices, there can and will, BE no succession and retention.

Despite the marketing and pitch antics, there is no seeming or apparent infrastructure on which to base the value. So that makes it a seeming shell, a hack, a farce, supposed growth with no strategic HR direction, adding employees and engagement based revenue increases, and profit growth don’t mean anything if they are not scalable and sustainable. I didn't get the impression that there was any strategic HR or consulting project staffing function whatsoever. And, it actually looks like the entire floor could pack up and move out in the middle of the night (Boiler Room?). There's no privacy and the work "stations" are super spartan--its easy to tell they have employed the hoteling system.

If you can’t get it right in house, how in the world are you consulting? The TA process need strategic and tactical direction: systematic but flexible, standardized, structured, objective, valid, reliable, competency and metrics based integration that adheres to the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures.

Build it, they will come. And stay. Fix that, everything else will follow.

Interview Question – What did you think when you walked in the office door?
How do you feel about the lobby air (aesthetics)
Where did you get your company research info (and after that some weird tangent rant about glassdoor reviews; mind you I got my BI from a trusted resource in the FS industry)
  View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Capco in January 2013.

Interview Details – Overall the process was a good one. It followed the typical recruiter, phone screen, in person interview process. I interacted with smart, thoughtful, people throughout the process. I think the interview process was well-managed by the recruiter. Capco is certainly a company I would consider working if the right opportunity comes along.

Interview Question – Honestly the interview questions were mostly routine, nothing particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Capco in March 2013.

Interview Details – 3 rounds, including one with HR.

First round was typical HR interview... walk me through your resume.
Second round consisted of 4 interviews with senior level consultants. Again not many techncical questions. Mostly all fit.
Third Round was in group case study format. Brief writing exercise. Group presentation.

Interview Question – What is consulting? Why Capco?   Answer Question