Capella University

Capella University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

Product Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capella University.

I was sought out by a recruiter that worked in HR. She found me on LinkedIn and reached out to ask if I was interested in the job. I reviewed the job description and thought it was a good fit for me and my career progression. I had an initial phone screen with the recruiter and she seemed very interested in me. I had a second round of interviews the following week with the operations manager, two other product managers and the hiring manager. All seemed to like me. I was told I would hear the following week about a follow up interview. The recruiter emailed me the next day and asked how the interview went. She was always so responsive. I waited until the end of the following week and after not hearing anything I emailed the recruiter. I have yet to hear anything back from her or anyone I interviewed with. I'm disappointed I took time out of my schedule (1/2 day vacation) and didn't receive any response after the inteviews. Even if I hadn't made it to the final interview a courtesy email letting me know would have been very much appreciated and professional.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capella University.

I had two phone interviews, and one in person interview. Overall Behavioral interview type questions. The first interview was with HR, second interview was with two supervisors, and the third was with the Manager and another Supervisor.

Interview Questions
    Was as to be expected, nothing out of the ordinary. Considered the offer, reviewed my qualifications, what was expected, and what the average advising industry was making.

Supervisor of Academic Advising Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capella University.

Phone interview for screening lasted about an hour and covered everything I would expect in a first interview. The invitation for a "first" interview at their headquarters came quickly and an appointment was set up for a week later. The setting was very professional. There are small interview rooms that allow privacy without disruption to anyone else's work environment. No parading through a group of people but also no tour of the organization! The HR rep that conducted the initial screening visited until the would-be-boss arrived. Nice interview. Genuine and thoughtful approach. Didn't get the position (they were complimentary but hired internally) but was impressed with the company.

Instructional Designer Interview

Interviewed with supervisors and IDs.

Interview Questions
    Asked for more $ - met in the middle.

Assistant Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Capella University.

Phone interview with HR, 1:1 interview with HR, 1:1 with supervisor, panel interview with sup/manager

Interview Questions
    • Under what management style do you work best?   View Answer

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Capella University.

Phone interview and two in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult thing you had to tell and advisee?   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capella University in January 2014.

Interview process was great. Initial phone interview with the HR rep was easy with no unexpected questions -- it was more like a discussion of my skills and how it relates to the position. I appreciate that.

Received a call back from the HR rep asking for an in-person interview. During the in-person interview, I met with 3 people -- two peers (one of which seemed to have a very bad attitude. Complained right away when she walked in the room about being "too busy to be interviewing people." NOT COOL.

Despite her bad attitude, I accepted the invitation to the final round of interviews and received an offer a day later. However, I declined the offer as I had another offer that was more appealing from another company.

I also was hoping to get an idea of the working enviornment -- as all interviews are conducted on Capella's 9th floor reception area, you do not get to see the office.

Interview Questions
    • Some situational questions. Once I got to the final round, it was just a chat about my skills and telling me more about the position.   Answer Question

Received offer from another company for more money, better benefits, more PTO, and a more senior role. I also did not like the attitude of the lady in my first in-person interview. As she would've been a peer, I could tell I would not enjoy workign with her. Everyone else though was great, and I'm sure I would've loved working with them, if I had went with this offer.

Enrollment Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capella University in November 2013.

It took a while for the HR department to get back to me, but I had a reference who was currently working in the position who got her manager to move to my resume to the top. The set up for the phone screening was quick - I believe I got the email to schedule and had the screening the next day.
    The phone screening was much longer than I expected - maybe 40-45 minutes long. The guy who interviewed me had a list of questions and there was a little banter but mostly it seemed like he was going down a checklist. He invited me at the end of the interview to come to the campus for an in person interview. He said the interview would be on Tuesday but didn't contact me to confirm a time to come in until Friday night (I didn't live in MN and had to travel there, so it was a bit inconvenient)
    The in person interview was a good one. I met with two managers who were both friendly and personable. It lasted about 30 minutes. I was told I would be contacted by the end of the week.
    I didn't hear anything back for over two weeks despite following up a few times. I can also say my partner, who was interviewing for the same position, had the same experience. Eventually I got an email invitation for a phone screening for the same job I had just interviewed for. When I wrote back and said that I had already interviewed and no one was responding to me, the woman had no idea I had been interviewed and encouraged me to start the process over. No thanks!
    Eventually I heard back from the initial recruiter I worked with through LinkedIn - he was no longer working for Capella and sent me a personal message to tell me why I wasn't selected and also encouraged me to start the process over with his insider tips to help me get the job. I declined. My partner didn't get any communication until about a month after the interview when he got a form email about more qualified applicants.

I also had a friend who interviewed for an Academic Advisor appointment and had a phone screening and a phone interview with a manager and never heard anything, not even a form email.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted a lot of really specific details about HOW you managed your time, HOW you were able to navigate computer systems, and for the EC position they really wanted a lot of focus on sales experience and successes. I was surprised at the level of specific detail they wanted.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Phone interview. Interviewed with the 3 people; HR, manager, and supervisor.

No negotiating.

Reference Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capella University.

Interview process starts with a phone interview and then in person interviews- are very up front about benefits/atmosphere. Try to emphasize that they are a business, not a non profit- must be something that has come up in interviews. Questions were pretty par for the course as far as interviews go- nothing too crazy.

Interview Questions
    • Asked my salary requirements in the initial phone screening interview. I didn't care for that because I feel it doesn't let the job seeker have the ability to negotiate that when a job offer happens.   View Answer