Capital Group

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

3.2

Lead Senior Accountant/Assistant Fund Controller Interview

The interview was conducted by two people who were snobby and rude to say the least. I almost walked out of the interview. The job wasn't day-to-day accounting, but it was more a finance job. I am blessed I didn't get a job there.

Client Services Representative Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital Group.

After submitting my resume on their website, I was contacted via email to complete a "virtual interview". However, the day before I was scheduled to do it, a recruiter called me and set up a time to do a phone interview and told me not to worry about completing the virtual/digital interview. I was called the next day by her and completed the phone interview, which took about 30-40 minutes. She said she was going to refer me to the recruiters at the job location site since I seemed like a good fit. I was then contacted the next day and scheduled my face to face interviews. I was sent an email with a more thorough and formal application for the specific position, as well as some other paperwork consisting of background info and a few other questions for them to gauge your answers/responses to. The F2F interviews consisted of 2 interviews, one with a HR rep, then one with a Department Manager. After completing these interviews, we listened to a couple of mock phone calls to kind of show what our calls would be like, then ended with a tour of the campus and facilities. I was contacted a few days later and was asked to provide 4 professional references with at least 2 being former managers. This part of the vetting process took a couple of weeks and they did contact everyone and verified all information given, so be honest and accurate with EVERYTHING you answer or fill out. Finally, after about 3 1/2 weeks, I was contacted and offered the position, which I accepted. Very thorough hiring process, but this is the kind of company that is very desirable for anyone to work for. I believe they did a little over 100 face to face interviews for a 20 person class.

Interview Questions
    • They reviewed my resume with me and asked several behavioral and situational questions, as well as desired salary requirements.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process. I wasn't going to haggle over a few thousand dollars and risk losing a great opportunity like this. These people that are giving negative reviews of the interview or hiring process seem like they're bitter because they didn't get an offer...or chalk it up to "to each their own". It was a little tedious and a long, extensive vetting process, but everyone was very friendly and professional. I didn't expect anything less from a potential opportunity like this one. This is the kind of company you'd want to retire from. I have a few friends that have been there for a long time and they all LOVE the company.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital Group.

During the interview process there were a lot of hypothetical questions asked. For example, describe a situation where you had to make a difficult decision. If you were in a team setting, how would you handle this or that. There was a lot of background questions as well as walking through resume experience.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw unethical behavior going on? What steps would you take to stop it and how would you bring it to your Managers attention?   Answer Question

TAP Associate Interview

Had a first round campus interview with Capital Group - interviewer made me very uncomfortable and asked me very pointed questions about random classes I had taken and specific words in my cover letter. A lot of "tell me about a time when...", "how did that make you feel?", and "how did you handle that?" type questions. Oddly crunchy granola interview for such a successful company.

BSA W/Unique Technical Skills Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Capital Group in October 2014.

The job description was not clear as to what they were looking for: BSA on the one hand, and a VERY technical set of skills on the other. I have never met a BSA who possessed even a quarter of what the wishlist they were asking, thus I reached out to them directly to get clarification. It took a few days for the recruiter to get back to me, which is fairly quick turnaround. We had to reschedule the first screening (she called an hour late), as she "...put me on the wrong day in calendar". It really felt like she forgot (which would have been cool, we're all human), but whatever, maybe my gut was wrong on that...

I was very very upfront, that I'm a technical engineer, who simply has a lot a experience dealing directly with LOBs. She confirmed that she was very interested in my skillset, and that they have hired developers into this role before. Unfortunately, we have not really advanced beyond the first 3 questions (see below): It was evident from her tone, that the answer to the first question, pretty much killed her interest and mood from that point on. The second answer sounded OK to her, but the 3rd, was a conversation-ender, as she flat-out said that given my answer, that they would not be interested.

I thanked her for the response, but was curious, so I asked what was it that threw her off. She gave me a small speech on how the company was "walking the walk" as far as their values, and that my answer to the first question makes me look indecisive and possibly bitter about a past experience; additionally, the answer to the last question would not bode well with their motto of humility and collaboration, specifically the phrase "...that's not going to happen given those timelines". It sounded like they treat their internal LOBs like external clients, and that saying "no, but I'll see what I can do" was not acceptable.

I thank her again, and mentioned that 1) ambivalence, does not equal indecisiveness, and that negative experience also has advantages: without the bad, how would one recognize the good? 2) majority of clients have no clue what they want, and a technical person should always have the fortitude to ask questions, confirm viability, decline if not feasible, explain and offer an alternative. Otherwise, he's yes-man who can sell, but can't deliver.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Are you seeking full-time or contract ? (FYI, they were looking for full-time)   View Answer
    • 2. Name 3 variables that are most crucial in workplace for you.   View Answer
    • 3. Have you ever had a conflicting situation with an LOB, and how did you handle it.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Capital Group in September 2014.

Don't waste your time. Yes, they tell you they take a while to interview, but my interview was four rounds over four months, which is just ridiculous. The first two rounds were each a phone call with one person. Simple, straightforward questions. One or two math questions (If a $100 investment lost 50% last year, how much does it need to return this year to get back to $100? 100%, duh). The third round was a video interview with one person. No math, just straightforward resume, give examples of a time when you... The fourth round was the same, but was three interviews with three different people. After each round, it took a month to hear back and schedule the next one.

I didn't get selected for the job, which is fine, I get it. But at no point in any interview did I feel unqualified. I have a Masters degree and this was an entry-level job. They hardly asked any difficult questions. After the fourth round, I was asked to submit a bunch of documents (scan my diplomas, send transcripts, sign off on a background check, etc), so I thought I was going to get an offer, and didn't. Not only that, but they said they went with somebody else (again, that WOULD BE find), but then the job was reposted, so I think they just didn't like me. If that's the case, why did they waste my time for four months? That's what bothers me.

Overall, it was a bad experience. If you want to take your time, fine, but eventually it's ridiculous. And if you feel someone is unqualified, don't waste their time with four rounds of interviews. The interviewers were nice enough, but like I said, the questions were easy, so I don't know what disqualified me.

Administrative Assistant Interview

The initial interview was over the phone. Made it pass the first interview and scheduled a second with the head of HR. Not sure what they were looking for but it was a very dry interview to say the least.

Client Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital Group.

I put my online application in almost 3 weeks ago, 2 days ago I got an email response to take a digital interview. I studied for one day then finally interview digitally. I read all the reviews, here on glass door, I was lead astray. There was only one behavior question. The rest was: Can you be rehired in All of your previous jobs, Why do you want to work for CG, What other jobs were you looking for? At least 3 times the same question was tweaked to ask why I liked customer service, or why I was good for customer service, I felt the digital interview was very cold. I didn't realize until question 8 that I can add more personal info. into the answers. After question 8 it was yes/no type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell a story that I stepped up and took responsibility of a situation.   View Answer

Client Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital Group.

Virtual Interview, Phone Interview
    I took the time out to do something I never did be4 and i was skeptical. But because i need a new career i was willing 2 give it a try. Which was a video recording interview, i received a call last fri. About an email sent 2 me from this company. Asking me 2 give a video interview. So i did it and receive a call on monday asking me what salary i was looking 4 & was i able to be a rehire at any of my previous jobs. Those same questions were on the video. So on tues. I received a call which was the phone interview & the asked me the same questions from the video just more detail. So she told me she would submit my info 2 the site that i'd be working at and if they wanted 2 take it further they would call 4 face 2 face, if not i'd get an email. So i go the email. But i thought it was wack because of the screening process. Only God knows who saw my video. Mutual funds and investments company- all that phone numbers were not in my state

Mutual Fund defined- a type of professionally managed collective investment scheme that pools money from Many investors to purchase securities

Interview Questions
    • What Salary are u looking 2 make
      Are u able 2 rehire at any of your previous jobs

Answer Question

Senior Accountant Analyst Interview

Applied with a recruiter. Process took 3 weeks before an in-person interview. From other reviews, the in-person interview normally last 3-4 hours but I was only schedule for 1.5 hours including the 30 minutes with HR.

Interview Questions
    • Very general questions, nothing specific to the interview position.   Answer Question