Capital Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.1

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group in August 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews... First one around 20 min, the second one a little over an hour... Then moved to face to face interview in irvine, ca. The face to face interview was a little over 2:30 hours. Durring the interview there is two sets of interviews. The first one is with someone from HR.... That one is just a formality so they cover their legal bases. The next one is with internal sales manager and a random manager from whatever department has someone free. This is the important part of the interview, the part that misinterpreted. The key is to be rock solid on your "sales pitch," they want a corporate robot, so stick to the same old features and benefits talk that is in 99.99% of all outdated sales processes. Say something like " at American funds our portfolio managers have on average 21 years with the company, so that will give you the peace of mind knowing clients money is invested with people who know what they are doing." All in all.... Basic interview, with basic managers, who are looking for basic people who will not bring anything different to the table or challenge anything.

Interview Questions

• what keeps you from being the best?   Answer Question
    • what's an example of a time when you had to sell something that you didn't understand.   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital Group.

Interview

The HR employee was very nice and helpful throughout the process. I was never in a position where I did not know what the next step would be. Overall the experience of the interview was positive and have nothing to say badly about how they handled it.

Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Found open position directly on their career website. I applied online and submitted a resume and a cover letter. I then received a confirmation of my entry. Several weeks later I received a phone call from an HR department screener. She asked some basic questions, verified some information and set an appointment to talk with a senior level HR department manager. The manager called me on the appointed day and time and started a more in-depth interview. This individual had a serious and unpleasant demeanor. Her questions were basic at first and became a bit more confusing as time went on. I had to ask her several times to repeat the scenario and clarify the question. She appeared agitated and was clearly rushing to finish the interview. It lasted about 45 minutes. In the end she complimented me and offered her email address to contact her with any followup questions that may come up. When i attempted to to reach out to her I realized that the email address was 'fake' and emails sent to it went into the great abyss. Very disappointing experience from a senior-level HR professional. It all ended without a single word from them -- and no way for me to contact her. Oh well.

Interview Questions

• What would you do type questions. Past experiences -- How did you handle this type questions.   1 Answer

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Irvine, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. 1-hour phone interview was full of resume and behavioral questions. The next week I had a webcam interview, it was brief. An on-site interview was scheduled after the webcam interview. At the onsite interview they show you and a handful of other people around after a 1-on-1 or possibly 2-on-1 interview. More behavioral during the interview...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time... Have you ever... Why this company?   1 Answer

Capital Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (San Antonio, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

well i went to a job fair and i met a recruiter who thought I could be a great fit with capital group, so i went home and applied on line, got a an email to do a web interview and then a phone interview...waiting for the face to face interview next

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Norfolk, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quite lengthy. 3 interviews in total - phone, skype (using their own software Greenjob i think) and in-person. One of the interviewers missed their appointment time with me and the final interviewer in-person, didn't really seem interested in what I was saying, but was rather focusing on filling out her 6-7 page form during the interview. She did mention she would be filling that out, but felt it took away from her listening.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in capital group? Describe a time you provided excellent customer service? Describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer? What do you know about our company?   Answer Question

Fee Consulting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Found the position through Linked-In and applied directly with the company via their website. Was invited to an in-person meeting after a telephone interview with recruiter. Everything from first point of contact was very professional and organized. My formal interview was with two member of investor operations team. Very casual (in my opinion) discussion of my background, job description,etc. No real tough, trick questions. Very down to earth. I thought it went well. I followed up with an email and formal thank you letter I mailed. I was told I could follow-up with any questions, which I did via email. No response. I followed-up with the HR admin person after a couple weeks. No response. Has been over a month and no response. It would be nice to get some sore of communication stating they have closed the position, went with someone else, etc. Thought that was the only thing tacky of the experience, otherwise was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the position   1 Answer

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group in April 2015.

Interview

Had two phone interviews with two different HR people from two different locations. The first one was with a lady in Orlando, Florida, the second was from the job location itself, Irvine, California. The process was negative in the sense they ask all behavioral antiquated questions that often do not seem relevant to the role or anything else for that matter. Also, they always respond to answer or question "that's very true" "great question" "yes indeed, I fully understand," etc. It often feels like they are reading a script and not really understanding what you say. For an entry level role like this, to have 2 phone interviews without ever getting to meet the actual hiring manager is really over kill and quite insulting.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself 5 to 10 years from now in this role?   1 Answer

Portfolio Analysis Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by a recruiter for another position but after an initial phone interview with the hiring manager they thought that another role might be better suited for me. So I had a brief interview with another recruiter who said she would show my resume to the hiring manager for the other position. After a week I got a call back to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. This was pretty basic and focused on my background and why I was interested in the role. Several days after this I was contacted to set up 2 interviews via webcam with other managers in the department. Both lasted 1 hour each and focused on both my background and behavioral type of questions. About a week after those I got a call to come down for a series of in person interviews. It was an all expense paid trip as I was coming in from outside the LA area. There were 5 interviews in total which consisted of non-management members of the department and managers. Non-management interviews definitely focused more on my previous job duties and trying to figure out if they would apply to the role. Management interviews focused more on what kind of job I wanted to be doing in 5 years to see if there would be a good fit long term. About a week after these interviews I got a boiler plate email from the recruiter that they were unable to find a match between my interests/qualifications and their current openings. I was a bit surprised as I didn't feel like any major red flags went up during interviews. Due to company policy they won't give a specific reason for not offering a job which I understand as they have hundreds of applicants and can't possibly respond to all in an individual way. However, with people that actually go through multiple rounds of interviews and end up coming in for an in person interview it would be nice to get additional feedback. Overall, it was a good experience and the people seemed great. They definitely like to be very thorough during the interviews to make sure that you can do the job but more importantly that you will be a good fit and end up staying a long time with them.

Interview Questions

• What kind of job do you see yourself doing in 5 years? Give me an example of a time when you were honest and it came back to bite you.   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital Group in March 2015.

Interview

Overall process took about 4 weeks. First interview was basic questions making sure my background was a fit for the position. They flew me to Irvine for 2nd interview which had a lot of behavioral questions. It was 2 1hour interviews. The had me do 2 mock sales pitches and ran over my background some more. Third interview was a 25 minute mock sales call with 3 hiring managers. The only negative thing was it took over 7 weeks to get rembursed for my travel when they said it would be 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Discuss how your prior experience would make you a fit for this position.   Answer Question