Capital One Analyst Interview Questions

3.4

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One in January 2007.

Interview

The personality test was a joke. I had to take it online but it wasn't compatible with my web browser. The basic math test asked me about things that I studied in high school and certainly hadn't thought about in years. The office interview was boring, but maybe that was because they were as bored with me as I was with them. It seemed as though there wasn't a lot of life in the building. It was mostly a case interview.

Interview Questions

• I was given a chart with questions that I needed to interpret.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Technical test : 35 min 30 questions : DI questions basically, mostly graph based,easy but time limit have to be very fast Case interview : simple break even analysis : focus on details and calculation Final behavioral interview : some basic HR questions

Interview Questions

• nothing difficult, it was vey good interview, interviewer was very good.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Bangalore (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

1. Technical test (30 questions in 35 minutes) : Graphs were provided and all the questions were based on the graphs using basic concepts of economics like Profit, interest, shares, dividends, inflation etc. 2. 3 Case Interviews: Each of half an hour. The first one was relatively simple. Second was the most rigorous one. The video posted on official Capital One Youtube channel regarding how to prepare for Case Interviews will help a lot. Questions were pretty general. At first we needed to identify the proper factors affecting the case in question. Then some quantitative and a few qualitative analysis questions followed.

Interview Questions

• The Technical Test required lot of speed. I could attempt 27/30 and that was very much on the higher side. 20 was above average. So speed helps. For those with little lesser marks, Resume was used to shortlist. Non Technical Questions: I was asked why i wanted to join Capital One. Thats it!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Internship: No negotations

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

3 rounds of case studies and a hr round

I took Samsung's offer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kānpur, Uttar Pradesh (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Kānpur, Uttar Pradesh (India)) in November 2013.

Interview

From the university, after 45mins test, Case interview with a simple case. Easy Math and very basic common sense

Interview Questions

• Technical reason why petrol car needs less service than diesel model??   1 Answer

Application

Interview

It was campus recruitment. Written Round(1 hour) : Section 1 - 40 q's all on data interpretation mcq's mainly to check speed and accuracy. Section 2 - 10 q's on aptitude mainly. most were subjective and puzzles. Interview: ROUND 1 : Small case study. For most people it ran for only 10-15min. Mine went for 40 min and had 2 case studies. They were not very difficult. They will give most data, some u might need to ask. You need to back every answer with calculations. ROUND 2 : It was aptitude round involving puzzles. As I was CS student I was asked to code each puzzle. All puzzles were logical and needed some thinking. ROUND 3 : Behavioral questions(though for most this was round 4). What problems u faced in past and how did u tackle them ROUND 4 : Case Study. This time they only gave the problem(without data) and I had to analyze it inside out. Some data was given as I asked. After 10-15 mins I was handed over the offer letter

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Campus Hiring Process. First Round of Written Test has 30 questions to be done in 30 minutes. Questions were Data Interpretation questions and evaluate your understanding,speed and mathematical accuracy. It was followed by a general case interview asking to determine profitability of volvo buses(data was provided on asking) and to identify break even points. Then there were 2 case interviews based on credit card industry. one was purely mathematical and another required understanding. After this there was a HR Interview Round.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Capital One has a very focusses process to their interviewing process. It seems like it is run very strictly by the HR group who makes sure that interviewers are asking the right questions. The process starts off like any other company where a recruiter will call you to screen you for a role. If you seem to be quailfied for the role, they will have you do an online assessment. This basically checks for math/logic skills and behavioral assessments. If you score well enough on the online assessments, he/she will set up a phone interview with the hiring group. If that goes well they will try to schedule something onsite interview. They have three types of interviews that you will be exposed to if you participate in the on-site interview. They are a case study (example below), behavioral (eg: tell me a time when...), and job-fit (which were more personality feeler type converstions). You will have a mixture of these, but they will tell you exactly which type(s) you will have when they schedule you.

Interview Questions

• Case example: Analyzing an affinity credit card (ex. special card only available to members of a specific group) Facts: 1) average card balance is $1000 2) each card has a rate of 15% 3) membership fee is $20 per card 4) loss rate is 3% 5) $25 operating cost per card 6) $10 affiliation fee per card (cost to the group for access to members) 7) 6.5% cost of funds Q1: How much profit is generated per card? A1: Total Revenue = ($1000 * 15%) + $20 = $170 Total Expense = (3% * 1000) + $25 + $10 + ($1000 * 6.5%) = $130 Total Profit = $40 Q2: The 3% loss rate can either mean either 3% of the outstanding balance defaults or 3% of the borrowers default on their entire balance. If the average balance is increased to $2000, what happens to the loss? A2: The loss doubles either way you calculate it. Q3: Is a borrower with a low balance more or less likely to default then a borrower with a high balance? A3: Less likely. Borrowers tend to charge up a balance before they default. Q4: Would the affilated group ever want to puchase the accounts from the financial institution? A4: The most likely scenario is that they want to purchase the accounts in order to turn around and sell them to another financial institution. Q5: If the affilated group offered $20 per account to purchase from the financial institution, what would thier profit be? (assume that we are only talking about 1 year) A5: Current profit per account is $40 minus the cost of $20 per account to purchase and eliminate the affiliation fee of $10 per account. Profit after the purchase would be $30. Q6: What could the financial institution do to convince the affiliated group not to want to purchase? A6: Increase the affiliation fee Q7: What is the most the financial institution would be willing to increase the affiliation fee to? A7: Max profit is the current level of $40 and minimum is the profit if sold to the affiliation at $20. $40 - $20 = $20. They could only increase the fee by $20 for new affiliation fee of $30. That is all I can recall from memory. There wasn't a lot more. My advice is don't over-think things. http://www.capitalone.com/careers/hiring/sample_step1.php?linkid=WWW_Z_Z_Z_CARHIBC_C1_01_T_CARHISA1 http://www.joinbain.com/apply-to-bain/interview-preparation/default.asp   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Interview

Overall it was pretty easy going. The interviewer walks you through the process and the math is really straight forward. I would just be sure to take your time and not rush yourself.

Application

Interview

I applied through my university career center website to get the interview. It was a resume drop, and I had heard good things about Capital One, so I figured it would be worth a shot. I received an email from the recruiter a few days later, and he invited me to a social event at a local pub/restaurant to meet with some current employees. They all turned out to be recent grads, and they were easy to get along with. From speaking with them, it seemed like this would be a great place to work. They all spoke highly of the good pay, relaxed office environment, and flexible hours. I chose the date and time for the interview online, and it took place at the career center on campus. It turned out to be an easy, straightforward case study. The interviewer set up the case, asked me to crunch some numbers, and posed some simple conceptual questions. All you needed was some basic math skills and some common sense. Unfortunately for me, I was nervous and blew the case. To potential interviewees, I would check out the cases on Capital One's website. That was pretty close to the case study I got. You might want to brush up on basic algebra (if you need). I was given a pencil, paper, and a calculator, so don't worry about mental math.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I got involved a two-variable algebraic equation.   1 Answer