Capital One

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Interview Details – * Recruiter phone call
* HR interview
* One-on-one phone call
* Online, qualifying intelligence and personality tests
* HR interview
* Full day of interviews (2 behavioral, 1 lunch, 1 case study, 1 design studio exercise)

The behavioral interviews were typical conversations with a lot of "Tell me about a time when..." The case study was more numbers-based. During the case study, make sure that you do not get "distracted" talking about your resume; I unfortunately ran out of time during this exercise. I do not believe that this affected their decision, but it is worth noting.

During the design studio exercise, make sure you come with a specific product and solution in mind. I focused more on the process leading up to "invention" rather than on the execution post-invention. We also ran out of time during this exercise.

Interview Question – There were no particularly difficult questions. I came prepared to calculate a CAGR for the case study and found it was unnecessary.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had a more attractive opportunity elsewhere.

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received notification via email to take an online assessment test. The test consists of questions for analytics, ethical and rational practices. After completion of that step I received a phone call that I would interview on campus. The interview was 1:1 and consisted of a case to work through numerically and ask what I would do in the end. My interviewer said I answered the case correctly and that he would be glad to see me at Capital One. Three days later I received a rejection email.

Interview Question – Based on your analysis how would you proceed?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Arlington, VA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Interview Details – Intense - first we had an on campus information session and then were asked to fill out a 2 hour assessment - think 75% GMAT style questions and 25% personality assessment. That's the first round. The second round is a case study style interview only this one has a correct answer (you're supposed to come up with an actual number and explain what it is). I didn't make it past the second round, but after that you go on site for a third round interview.

Interview Question – How do you calculate (x) ratio - a lot of ratio questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Capital One Analyst Interview

Capital One Analyst
Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Interview Details – 30 minute quantitative case test, no behavioral, you're allowed to use calculator, they pride themselves on their low admittance rate and therefore they over-interview, if you make it past the first round you get to go to an on-site second round, they don't really care about strategy or your personality/fit, only want to see that you can crunch numbers fast

Interview Question – You are a marketing manager and need to decide which platform to use facebook or email.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst
Arlington, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communication and interaction with the company highly positive- they arranged several open bar/hors d'oeuvres mixers (one following campus career fair, the next for those accepted for first-round interviews). Pride themselves on unique, internal strategic focus. Culture is much more similar to consulting than banking. Interview consisted of "getting to know you" questions, which were largely a formality, followed by a case interview. The case interview is slightly more quantitative than the majority of consulting interviews, but still follows basic case style. Keep your thoughts organized, know what each number refers to (and decide if some of the information you've been given is irrelevant to the specific aspect of the question you're trying to answer then before incorporating it in your answer), don't hesitate to ask questions, think before you speak, all of the standard advice.

Interview Question – Market sizing and cost-benefit analysis of advertising channels: facebook vs. email.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Arlington, VA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in April 2008.

Interview Details – First they gave a 25 question test consisting mostly of mental math and graph processing. They then invited me for a on campus interview in which the interviewer tested basic calculation skills. Then he gave explained a certain business situation and asked questions, varying the conditions then testing your response. They seemed interested in whether you knew simple economics and how to apply them to practical situations.

Interview Question – You have 3000 bananas at point A, which is 1000 feet removed from point B. You must move as many bananas to point B, but you can only carry 1000 bananas at any time, and traveling 1 feet requires you to eat 1 banana. You can drop off bananas at any point between A and B, and pick them up later.   View Answers (16)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One interview questions and advice in Arlington, VA. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees and interview candidates.