Capital One

3.7

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

* Recruiter phone call
    * HR interview
    * One-on-one phone call
    * Online, qualifying intelligence and personality tests
    * HR interview
    * Full day of interviews (2 behavioral, 1 lunch, 1 case study, 1 design studio exercise)

The behavioral interviews were typical conversations with a lot of "Tell me about a time when..." The case study was more numbers-based. During the case study, make sure that you do not get "distracted" talking about your resume; I unfortunately ran out of time during this exercise. I do not believe that this affected their decision, but it is worth noting.

During the design studio exercise, make sure you come with a specific product and solution in mind. I focused more on the process leading up to "invention" rather than on the execution post-invention. We also ran out of time during this exercise.

Interview Questions
    • There were no particularly difficult questions. I came prepared to calculate a CAGR for the case study and found it was unnecessary.   Answer Question

I had a more attractive opportunity elsewhere.

Capital One Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

30 minute quantitative case test, no behavioral, you're allowed to use calculator, they pride themselves on their low admittance rate and therefore they over-interview, if you make it past the first round you get to go to an on-site second round, they don't really care about strategy or your personality/fit, only want to see that you can crunch numbers fast

Interview Questions
    • You are a marketing manager and need to decide which platform to use facebook or email.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Intense - first we had an on campus information session and then were asked to fill out a 2 hour assessment - think 75% GMAT style questions and 25% personality assessment. That's the first round. The second round is a case study style interview only this one has a correct answer (you're supposed to come up with an actual number and explain what it is). I didn't make it past the second round, but after that you go on site for a third round interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you calculate (x) ratio - a lot of ratio questions   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Applied online and received notification via email to take an online assessment test. The test consists of questions for analytics, ethical and rational practices. After completion of that step I received a phone call that I would interview on campus. The interview was 1:1 and consisted of a case to work through numerically and ask what I would do in the end. My interviewer said I answered the case correctly and that he would be glad to see me at Capital One. Three days later I received a rejection email.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Initial communication and interaction with the company highly positive- they arranged several open bar/hors d'oeuvres mixers (one following campus career fair, the next for those accepted for first-round interviews). Pride themselves on unique, internal strategic focus. Culture is much more similar to consulting than banking. Interview consisted of "getting to know you" questions, which were largely a formality, followed by a case interview. The case interview is slightly more quantitative than the majority of consulting interviews, but still follows basic case style. Keep your thoughts organized, know what each number refers to (and decide if some of the information you've been given is irrelevant to the specific aspect of the question you're trying to answer then before incorporating it in your answer), don't hesitate to ask questions, think before you speak, all of the standard advice.

Interview Questions
    • Market sizing and cost-benefit analysis of advertising channels: facebook vs. email.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One in April 2008.

First they gave a 25 question test consisting mostly of mental math and graph processing. They then invited me for a on campus interview in which the interviewer tested basic calculation skills. Then he gave explained a certain business situation and asked questions, varying the conditions then testing your response. They seemed interested in whether you knew simple economics and how to apply them to practical situations.

Interview Questions
    • You have 3000 bananas at point A, which is 1000 feet removed from point B. You must move as many bananas to point B, but you can only carry 1000 bananas at any time, and traveling 1 feet requires you to eat 1 banana. You can drop off bananas at any point between A and B, and pick them up later.   View Answers (18)