Capital One

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2011.

Interview Details – First round case interview on campus. Then invited to Richmond for second round, which consisted of two cases (~45 min each) and one behavioral. Same interview process as full time prospects. Put us up in a nice hotel, took care of flights, etc. which was definitely a plus. Seemed like good company culture. Three of my interviewers were very cooperative, but the fourth was quite arrogant.

Interview Question – Break even points   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in March 2011.

Interview Details – First I took a math test, reading test, and work habits test online. Second I had a case interview on campus. That went well. After that, they flew me to the D.C. HQ for more interviewing. They put me up the night before. On the interview day, I had two case interviews and a personality interview. They then asked me to do an extra case interview. I received no offer, even though it seemed to go well.

Interview Question – Why Capital One?   View Answer

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very fast decision making. Case interviews are number driven and have a right answer. First round @ my university: 1 Ci. Second round @ campus in Plano, TX: 2 Ci, 1 Behavioral plus one more Ci at the end after other candidates had left. (This made me think I had the internship :(
Ci questions were about: a shipping company and ways to increase revenue plus calculate break even point and how a decrease in price affects profits; a call center, weighted average of call duration, how to improve drop rate; and the third was about 2 credit cards options which one is more profitable for the company and ways to minimize risk.

Interview Question – The cases were easy at the beginning, but got complicated as the interviewer asked me more questions and give me more data.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – There was a campus first round interview, which was pretty simple, followed by an on-campus interview session. In the 2nd round, they gave us 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview. Behavioral was pretty straightforward, but the case studies were much more math-intensive. They called me about half a week afterwards to tell me that I did not get it.

Interview Question – More so than a difficult question, was the manner in which a question was asked. The question in the second round was tough, but one of the interviewers seemed disinterested in the interview, making me wonder if this was a stress test or something, even though they said they didn't do that.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – Capital One has a great interviewing process. Cases are very quantitative, and behavioral interviews are typical. Everyone you meet will be genuinely excited to have you there.

Interview Question – Cases are very quantitative, so keep in that mindset as you go through   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern

Interview Details – Applied through my university career website and was contacted shortly thereafter. First round interview was a case interview about the credit card industry. It shouldn't have been a difficult case, however, I made multiple mental math mistakes the led me to not receive an opportunity to move to the next round.

Interview Question – How do you think Capital One markets its credit cards?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – First interview was a case interview. Questions were not that hard, it's all logical and basic math.

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2013.

Interview Details – I met them at the Career Fair at my school (Target School). After talking with them for about two minutes they said they'dbe in touch. About 3-5 days Later I got an email saying I got an interview. 1st round was at the university, pretty standard, It was 1 case that focused on break-even analysis. I then got a call 3-5 days after that saying I got an invite to their "power day".
Power day was cool, you get to check out their richmond campus which is nice. It consists of 3 interview, 2 case interviews and 1 fit.

The first case was very straight forward, it had to do with factoring in credit risk to determine business development, they help you through it. The 2nd case was a little crazier as I had to analyze a graph presented to me and then basically present my analysis in graphical form as well. The data was abstract so your ability to graph is based on your understanding of what should theoretically be happening (think derivatives).

The Fit interview was the only negative part of my experience, My interviewer couldn't show up, so I had a phone fit interview. which in my eyes is just pointless because how are you trying to understand a person's personality and attitude if you aren't face to face.

Also, a lot of people get final rounds with Capital One so, don't get cocky once they invite you to richmond

Interview Question – Given the Death rates for 5 different customersegment groups. Which ones should we include in our portfolio to break-even? Graph our profits as we include additional groups   View Answers (2)

Chapel Hill, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's career office (UNC-Chapel Hill) and heard that I received an interview a couple weeks after submitting my application. The first round interview was a case and it was not intimidating; I solved the case but was not offered a second round interview. I heard back a day after my interview.

Interview Question – Business case was a bit abstract so it wasn't something easy to prepare for by reading "Case In Point"   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very friendly recruiters who really do care about you. Never received any automated calls or emails.

Interview Question – Most of the cases were all numbers based, so I was thrown off in the final round when I received a strategy based cased.   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!