Capital One

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – First interview was a case interview. Questions were not that hard, it's all logical and basic math.

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Applied through my university career website and was contacted shortly thereafter. First round interview was a case interview about the credit card industry. It shouldn't have been a difficult case, however, I made multiple mental math mistakes the led me to not receive an opportunity to move to the next round.

Interview Question – How do you think Capital One markets its credit cards?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – There was a screening interview on campus that was a basic case interview and pretty straightforward. I found out later that day that I moved on to the next round. I was invited to a "Power Day" at the Richmond office and had two case interviews and one behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to learn something new in order to accomplish something? (They wanted an answer other than learning a new software or coding language).   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – Capital One has a great interviewing process. Cases are very quantitative, and behavioral interviews are typical. Everyone you meet will be genuinely excited to have you there.

Interview Question – Cases are very quantitative, so keep in that mindset as you go through   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied though college career system and got accepted after two weeks. The campus interview was a 30 min case study. Very easy math problem. They told me that I got into the on-site interview a couple hrs later. The on-site includes three more case studies and a behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2013.

Interview Details – One interview on campus with a case. Round of three interviews on Capital One campus, followed by a luncheon. Certain interviewees were invited back for a fourth case interview. Good experience overall.

Interview Question – Valuate a shipping company based on fleet, loads, etc.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – They had an on campus interview first, which I think has a really low threshhold for success, because I blew it and still passed. Then I went to the office for round 2 and stayed at the hilton. they had a dinner for us the night before and a lunch and tour the day of... the people they had us with were somewhat weird, though.

Interview Question – One case about energy plants and looking at graphs. One case looking at atms. Lots of solve for x type problems   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very friendly recruiters who really do care about you. Never received any automated calls or emails.

Interview Question – Most of the cases were all numbers based, so I was thrown off in the final round when I received a strategy based cased.   Answer Question

Chapel Hill, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my university's career office (UNC-Chapel Hill) and heard that I received an interview a couple weeks after submitting my application. The first round interview was a case and it was not intimidating; I solved the case but was not offered a second round interview. I heard back a day after my interview.

Interview Question – Business case was a bit abstract so it wasn't something easy to prepare for by reading "Case In Point"   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2013.

Interview Details – I met them at the Career Fair at my school (Target School). After talking with them for about two minutes they said they'dbe in touch. About 3-5 days Later I got an email saying I got an interview. 1st round was at the university, pretty standard, It was 1 case that focused on break-even analysis. I then got a call 3-5 days after that saying I got an invite to their "power day".
Power day was cool, you get to check out their richmond campus which is nice. It consists of 3 interview, 2 case interviews and 1 fit.

The first case was very straight forward, it had to do with factoring in credit risk to determine business development, they help you through it. The 2nd case was a little crazier as I had to analyze a graph presented to me and then basically present my analysis in graphical form as well. The data was abstract so your ability to graph is based on your understanding of what should theoretically be happening (think derivatives).

The Fit interview was the only negative part of my experience, My interviewer couldn't show up, so I had a phone fit interview. which in my eyes is just pointless because how are you trying to understand a person's personality and attitude if you aren't face to face.

Also, a lot of people get final rounds with Capital One so, don't get cocky once they invite you to richmond

Interview Question – Given the Death rates for 5 different customersegment groups. Which ones should we include in our portfolio to break-even? Graph our profits as we include additional groups   View Answers (2)

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!