Capital One

Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.3

253 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Received an email to apply to their summer program after attending a business conference in NYC. Case interview over the phone seemed pretty straightforward, but they wanted a "stronger performance."

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Business Analyst Interview

The initial communication process for the interview was excellent. But the interview itself was not the same for each candidate. The case interviews varied for each candidate and some seemed more complicated than others.

Interview Questions
    • Work through a case involving credit cards. Make sure to study this if you get the interview.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

On-campus interview at my university, set up through university career services. The preparation video and walk-through explain the two types of interviews in detail, a case iInterview and a behavioral interview, so I felt relatively prepared going into the morning of the interview. The recruiter was really friendly and very professional. He posed a case interview question, and explained that there wasn't enough time to do both types of interviews. It was almost exactly like the practice case interview, but a little less complicated (mini golf course, promotion strategy, basic business math). He helped me through the problem, but I sort of stumbled through some of the math.

Interview Questions
    • After laying out the basic cost-revenue structure of the mini golf business I owned, the interviewer proposed a scenario concerning multiple options of promotions to increase profits, and asked me to do the math clearly on a piece of paper. Which promotion would you recommend? I arrived at the right answer in the end, but got a little confused on a couple elements of the problem...   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

The process was not rigorous but pretty bland. The interviewer introduced himself and then we started the case. I had trouble pointing out the quantitative answers because he was very ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider to be a business analyst   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Applied for the position through my campus career center. First interview (on campus) was a 30-minute case interview, no personal/behavioral questions were asked. After passing the first round, I was given paid travel to Capital One's Plano offices for a day of final round interviews and a tour around their campus. There were 3 interviews, each 45 minutes: 2 cases and 1 behavioral. One-on-one interviews with different interviewers each time.

Interview Questions
    • A business case in which basic calculus knowledge would have been helpful (determining the maximum point of a parabolic function).   Answer Question
    • Tell about a difficult time - how you dealt with it and what you learned.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied through school. 1st round 30 min case on campus. First round was pretty straightforward with profit=revenue - loss and breakeven calculations. 2nd round in either of their Virginia offices. 1 behavioral and 2 cases, 45 min each. My second case was much harder than the first. It was somewhat hard to relate to the interviewers because they were significantly older and didn't seem very interested or invested in you as a candidate. No offer but it was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a challenge and what you learned. They a lot of follow up questions for each situation.   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in November 2014.

I submitted my resume at a career fair, and had a case interview over the phone about two weeks later. After the case interview I was contacted hours later (they said expect word back in 3-4 days, but they seem to be pretty efficient in this regard) to set up my flight for their power day.

Power day was pretty challenging. There were 7 other candidates there at the same time. We did two case interviews and one behavioral interview. One case was about the same difficulty as the phone interview, but the other case was advanced. Some people were asked to stay for an additional interview that was not initially scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • Business case about satellite radio provider and how to increase profits.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in November 2014.

I got a first round interview over the phone for a case interview. I was immediately accepted and flown to Plano Texas for the second round. The second round had 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral using the star method. Everyone was very nice. I was set up at a nice hotel on Thursday night and then had my interview Friday morning and afternoon. I had my own room to myself and my interviewers came in to talk to me. We had a break between one of the interviews and then 2 back to back interviews. After the first 3 interviews, the interviewers are all taken out to lunch at the Capital One Campus and then some are asked to stay back for an additional interview.

Interview Questions
    • The Questions were a little difficult and involved calculating mortality rate, and graphing. I stumbled a little but the interviewer was very helpful and always directed me back to the right path. Very mathematical and answer driven.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One in November 2014.

1st round: case interview on campus
    2nd round: flew to Richmond and had 1 behavioral interview and 2 case interviews; behavioral interview was 3 questions and short; case interviews were moderate

Interview Questions
    • Case interview was on industries I wasn't familiar with: power industry and wheat industry   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in November 2014.

Applied through career services at target school and was given a first-round interview. First round was a 30 minute case interview on campus with an alum who is currently a VP. Within a few days I received an invitation to the Richmond campus for on-site interview (they covered all expenses). I had three 45 minute interviews in the morning, two more cases and one behavioral, generally with mid-level managers who went through the BA program. After a non-evaluative lunch and tour with current BA associates and a couple of other BA candidates, I was called back for a final round interview. The final round was a short case followed by some fit questions with a Managing VP who had been through the BA program. The recruiter for my university called two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I'm not at liberty to give specifics, but make sure that you keep the big picture in mind and avoid getting caught up in the calculations. It's important to get the right numbers but it is arguably more important to be able make a recommendation based on a broader understanding of the situation, especially in the on-site case interviews.   Answer Question