Capital One

Average Difficulty
219 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very structured interview process. Applied through campus recruiting and was later selected for a phone case interview. I passed the case (found out in under 24 hours) and was invited to interview in Richmond. The Richmond interview consisted of two cases and a behavioral interview. I was then asked to stay for an additional case interview. I received an offer in <24 hours.

The case interviews are unlike consulting interviews; they are more straightforward and usually have a specific quantitative answer. The behavioral interview was very structured; I was given a list of possible questions a day in advance, and three questions were selected from that list.

Overall, I felt very welcome; the recruiters and interviewers were all very friendly.

Interview Question – Cases   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Intern.

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Capital One interview process was very well organized and thorough. During my interview process several candidates were put up at the Embassy Suites and during the whole day interview, interviewers came to the room one at a time. A battery of skills and general analytical and aptitude tests were administered. A couple of business cases - one focused on quantitative skills and another on qualitative, strategic thinking skills were given.

Interview Question – Unexpected question was related to the economics of operating a call center.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Very Difficult Interview

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
    (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
    (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
    (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.
      View Answers (2)
  • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
    (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
    (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
    (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
    (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
    (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
    (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
    (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
    (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.
      View Answers (2)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Interview process started with an on-campus interview, which was then followed with an on-site visit. The on-campus interviewed involved a simple case study. The on-site visit consisted of 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview

Interview Question – Not a business major, the case studies were a little difficult for me.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview Details – During the on-site interview, there are 2 cases about credit card. Familiarity with the profitability model of credit card is definitely helpful. The behavior questions focus more on the adverse or difficult situation you've met and how you deal with it.

Interview Question – There is a question about drawing the same profitability curve in the x-y axis. Cannot remember the specific setup, but a review of utility curve is very helpful.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through university job services, was asked to interview on campus. First interview was a case interview and it was easy and very straightforward. It was essentially just to see if you are competent. Then I interviewed at Capital One and had 2 more case interviews (much more difficult) and one easy behavioral interview.

Interview Question – One of my case interviews dealt with loans that Capital One gives out and finding the most profitable situations for the company based on a bunch of assumptions.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Had an on campus interview first at school and then had an interview onsite. Campus interview was one simple case interview. Then the Onsite interviews were two more complicated case interviews and then a very straightforward behavioral interview.

Interview Question – The business cases were the most difficult just dealt with break even points, but with thrown off as one was not related to credit solutions or the company at all.   View Answer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – I applied via my school and was contacted for a phone case interview. It lasted around 45 minutes - the interviewer talked a little bit about the culture at Capital One and then it was the case interview. It's an easy case interview, but be careful not to make careless mistakes.

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – I just past the fist round interview through campus career service with Capital One. There should be one more round interview on-site. The first round interview simply contains one 30 min case. The second round interview contains two case interviews and one behavior interview.

Interview Question – It was a strategy decision case. They gives out data in three different marketing method: phone, email and mail. Work on math and make an assumption.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – First round interview was a case question, basely solely on algebra as well as the ability to translate a word problem into a math problem.

Interview Question – Why is your answer right?   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!