Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

3.2

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview included a (maximum) 30 minute length case interview. The case was fairly straightforward (not designed to trick you). Going into these, don't anticipate a case interview like what you see with typical consultancies, Cap One is much more focused on real world, manageable and relevant solutions. The interviewer was very helpful, knowledgeable, and easy to work with as I went through the case. Also very open to questions during the extra time at the end of the interview.
I am currently on the FINAL ROUND phase of Capital One.

Interview Questions

• You own a mini golf course:
    1. What are examples of promotions you can use to increase business?
    2. Then I was given a set of numbers regarding revenue, traffic, and costs and I was asked to determine the current profit per day, and then consider how that would change if more customers were added.
    3. Asked about a potential promotional plan and how that plan will impact profitability.
    4. Asked about a variant on that plan and how it will impact profitability.
    5. Asked to make a managerial recommendation as to which plan is preferable.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. First round was a case over the phone. The question was about a beach front store. Pretty simple, math was basic algebra and you could use a calculator. They got back to me within two days to invite me to a super day at there Richmond office. Super day was 2 cases and a behavioral. Cases were a little more difficult. One was about a private equity investment where you were given some data and asked to draw observations, look for places the PE firm could improve the business, and eventually make an investment decision. The other case was about deciding how to fill process credit card applications and involved a little graphing. Interviewers help you through the cases and you can use a calculator. They are quantitative, but don't require any math past simple algebra. I was called back for a 4th "interview" where we chatted about life at Capital One.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to teach yourself something.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online in January, went to early April Super Day on site in Plano, TX. They paid for everything, the trip and people were very nice. There is usually a phone interview first, but they did not make me complete this part. On Super Day there are 3 interviews, 1 hour each. 1 behavioral and 2 case interviews. I did well with the first case, it was very numbers/math based. The second case had less math but was more confusing to me. I recommend studying A LOT for the case interviews, doing practice ones is your best option. I heard the decision within 48 hours after Super Day.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions: Describe a time you made a mistake and what happened. Describe a time you faced a challenge. Describe a time when you taught yourself something.
      Cases: one was VERY math based, the other was more of a company concept problem with a graph involved

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Done on campus recruiting. First interview is fairly easy. They asked a question if you owned a taxi service. Quantitative part is fairly easy if you know basic algebra and can do some problem solving. Also asked some business questions, but really basic like if this was this was the best investment.

Interview Questions

• If you have a taxi service with x drivers who you pay y amount per drive, how much do you make in a day.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Submitted resume through campus career site and interviewed a week later. Went through a case interview that was pretty straight forward. Was selected to go to power day in Richmond, VA a week later where there are 2 cases and 1 behavioral interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Interviewed through campus recruiting. The interview was a basic case study about Revenue and profit maximization. My case study was about a golf course and identifying certain criteria to consider when introducing a new promotion. What happens to profits? What is the increase in profits? At the end of the problem, I was asked if I would take on the promotion, why or why not.

Interview Questions

• What types of things do you consider key factors when looking at a financial statement?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Apply online though the captal one online application. But the job opportunity is actually sent out by our department chair. So I do not know whether that is an advantage to get the interview or not. I submit the online application in Feb and by the end of feb. I received an email asking me to give them time available for the phone interview

Interview Questions

• Some basic statistics concept like what is the p value?
      And a case interview ask you to minimize the profit. It is quite challenging to get what they want to you to answer.

1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

One case interview over the phone, a few weeks later they flew me out to Richmond. Good with accommodations and reimbursements. In Richmond there were 2 case interviews and a behavioral interview.
    Cases were easy - breakeven analysts questions, basic strategic decisions for company. Behavioral was sort of strange, gave me three "tell me about a time when" questions at the beginning then we went through each one.
    We went on a tour of the campus and were provided lunch. After lunch all of the other interviewees were sent home and I was asked to stay for an additional case interview with a director.
    Got an offer the next business day

Interview Questions

• What decisions could X company make to become more profitable? If we raised prices by Y, how many units would we have to sell to breakeven?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I had the first interview with them at my university. It was a case interview and I wasn't really prepared for it. I didn't think I would make it to the next round, but I received an email about 3-4 days after. For the final round of interview, they flew me out to Texas. They did a good job of taking care of me for the whole trip. On the interview day, I had 1 behavioral interview and 2 case interviews. If I was more prepared for the case interviews, I would've done a lot better. I definitely recommend getting a lot of practice done before going in. Behavioral interview was very different from other companies where they only asked me 3 main questions, but they wanted my answer in much detail.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation you worked in a team & challenges you had.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Applied through my school's website, received an interview at my school. Recruiters were very friendly. I found out 3 days later that I wasn't invited to their power day. Their case interviews are practical and real world based, not too abstract like others.