Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.2

234 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied through school. 1st round 30 min case on campus. First round was pretty straightforward with profit=revenue - loss and breakeven calculations. 2nd round in either of their Virginia offices. 1 behavioral and 2 cases, 45 min each. My second case was much harder than the first. It was somewhat hard to relate to the interviewers because they were significantly older and didn't seem very interested or invested in you as a candidate. No offer but it was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you overcame a challenge and what you learned. They a lot of follow up questions for each situation.   View Answers (5)

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

I applied through the campus recruiting at my website. The interviewer hands you a case and you have thirty minutes where you run through the case, which typically tests you on your analytical and communication skills. I stumbled a little bit so I asked a couple of clarifying questions and they were very nice in helping guide me through the process.

Interview Questions
    • The calculations that you had to do for the case were far more difficult than the practice examples that they give you. It definitely was a lot more analytical than I had predicted.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Was selected through on-campus recruiting. Went through first round interview which was a case study. Then was flown to Dallas to go through final rounds which consisted of two cases and a behavioral interview. Overall was a very easy process as Capital One really wants to take care of its interns and treat you well.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview was about a Uber-like taxi service. Was required to find out factors that affect profit and do some simple calculations to determine if that was true. Once I found a result I was then required to come up with a recommendation.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Interviews are all cased based--usually around profitability and breaking-even. Understand profitability frameworks before going in and practice with case-prep books. Slightly different from consulting case interviews but similar enough.

Interview Questions
    • Case was based on Uber and how to increase profitability during non-peak hours   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Applied through career center. First round interview was on campus. Fairly straight forward, brief intro of the interviewer and then yourself. Dive into the case study pretty quickly. More laid back than consulting firm case studies. Second round was a super day at their headquarters. 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview in the morning, and then asked back for another case study in the afternoon (not all candidates were asked to stay). The cases were fairly similar to the first round, although slightly longer and more challenging. Behavioral interview was pretty standard. Nothing too tricky.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you lead a group where one of the members did not contribute.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

I applied online and met with recruiters during a career fair. I got my first interview after the career fair on campus. They must have liked me after the first interview because I was flown to Dallas, Texas for a followup interview at their corporate office. Both interviews were case interviews. They watched me solve some business-style algebra questions. It was pretty simply since I'm a math major.

Interview Questions
    • The case involved entering a new market. They mainly wanted to know if I had a grasp of the problems a new business would have to consider.   Answer Question
    Fresh out of college. No negotiations.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

I applied on their website but did not get an interview until I applied through my school's job posting. The process to schedule the interview was pretty easy and the interview was on campus. The interview was a case study (my first case study) and the problem was pretty easy. I got stumped because the interviewer changed his mind on how he wanted me to calculate what he was asking, throwing me off. After I solved the math part and gave my answer he answered any questions I had about Capital One and the position. The next steps are a behavioral and two case study interviews at their office.

Interview Questions
    • Case study where you calculate the break-even point if a company has a promotion.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Applied through school career website. took about 2 weeks. Interview was supposed to be behavioral and case study but only ended up being the case study. Was invited for the 2nd round in plano. Pleasent experience. The had someone there who was working in the position I was applying for so it was nice to be able to ask her questions and stuff

Interview Questions
    • Case study was given mostly math and critical thing stuff. Shouldnt be to bad for anyone with a business acumen   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I met the recruiter and a couple of current business analysts at my school career fair. The recruiter and associates were very friendly and open to answering any questions I asked. I applied on my school website and the Capital One website and heard back about my first interview within the week. The first interview was a 30 minute case interview and Capital One offered 2 different opportunities to practice cases with current analysts before the interview. A few days later I was offered a final round interview on-site, which consisted of 1 behavioral and 2 case interviews. Overall, Capital One's process was quick and very well organized.

Interview Questions
    • The case interviews were mainly numbers based and revolved around banking and credit card type problems.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in September 2014.

The process began with some networking events and, frankly, a poorly executed info session. After a resume drop through campus recruiting, they made selections for first round interviews. The interview began with introductions and then proceeded to a case. The key part of the interview was the break-even analysis. Highly recommend that any interviewees practice this, you can find examples of how the company wants you to handle these scenarios online.

Interview Questions
    • The case involved a mini-golf course seeking to increase profits. Several promotional offers were discussed.   Answer Question