Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

222 interviews

3.2

222 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Capital One.

Great interview process. Began with an initial case interview by phone. The case was quite simple, interviewer was really just looking to see if I could understand the parameters of a problem and use the relevant information to arrive at a solution. Then invited to Richmond, VA where their main campus is located. After a tour of the campus, went through two more quantitative case interviews followed by a behavioral interview. Process was very straightforward and honestly quite fun overall.

Interview Questions
  • Case questions were quantitative and all about problem-solving, nothing technical.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in June 2014.

Had two brief phone conversation with HR and a senior manager before flying over to TX. The limo took me from the airport to NYLO hotel. Then the next day morning 5 of us were arranged to different rooms and waiting for the interviewers. I was very excited and well prepared but still struggled. I killed my first behavoral round. Until the cases, my two interviewers(VPs) had very heavy Indian accent therefore I couldn't even understand some of the questions. It's very frustrating that you have to really focus on what they said then talk through the problems on your approach. I wasn't sure if I understood correctly. One of them showed a boring look and wasn't interested in my answers at all...Overall, I would say the entire process is just average(better if you can better understand the casers....) Out 5 of us, only 1 person made to the final round. Maybe he was good at the cases or maybe just speaking&knowing the accent lol PLEASE diversify people in the senior management.....Play a fair game.

Interview Questions
    • One of the cases was about a shipping company.
      They asked many detailed questions(conceptual) after you solved the breakeven.
      What does this graph mean?
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2014.

Very structured interview process. Applied through campus recruiting and was later selected for a phone case interview. I passed the case (found out in under 24 hours) and was invited to interview in Richmond. The Richmond interview consisted of two cases and a behavioral interview. I was then asked to stay for an additional case interview. I received an offer in <24 hours.

The case interviews are unlike consulting interviews; they are more straightforward and usually have a specific quantitative answer. The behavioral interview was very structured; I was given a list of possible questions a day in advance, and three questions were selected from that list.

Overall, I felt very welcome; the recruiters and interviewers were all very friendly.

None. Intern.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Capital One interview process was very well organized and thorough. During my interview process several candidates were put up at the Embassy Suites and during the whole day interview, interviewers came to the room one at a time. A battery of skills and general analytical and aptitude tests were administered. A couple of business cases - one focused on quantitative skills and another on qualitative, strategic thinking skills were given.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was related to the economics of operating a call center.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
      (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
      (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
      (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.
        View Answers (2)
    • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
      (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
      (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
      (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
      (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
      (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
      (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
      (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
      (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.
        View Answers (2)

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview process started with an on-campus interview, which was then followed with an on-site visit. The on-campus interviewed involved a simple case study. The on-site visit consisted of 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview

Interview Questions
    • Not a business major, the case studies were a little difficult for me.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

During the on-site interview, there are 2 cases about credit card. Familiarity with the profitability model of credit card is definitely helpful. The behavior questions focus more on the adverse or difficult situation you've met and how you deal with it.

Interview Questions
    • There is a question about drawing the same profitability curve in the x-y axis. Cannot remember the specific setup, but a review of utility curve is very helpful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Applied through university job services, was asked to interview on campus. First interview was a case interview and it was easy and very straightforward. It was essentially just to see if you are competent. Then I interviewed at Capital One and had 2 more case interviews (much more difficult) and one easy behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • One of my case interviews dealt with loans that Capital One gives out and finding the most profitable situations for the company based on a bunch of assumptions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Had an on campus interview first at school and then had an interview onsite. Campus interview was one simple case interview. Then the Onsite interviews were two more complicated case interviews and then a very straightforward behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • The business cases were the most difficult just dealt with break even points, but with thrown off as one was not related to credit solutions or the company at all.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Capital One.

I applied via my school and was contacted for a phone case interview. It lasted around 45 minutes - the interviewer talked a little bit about the culture at Capital One and then it was the case interview. It's an easy case interview, but be careful not to make careless mistakes.

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!