Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2014

3.2

231 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied through school. 1st round 30 min case on campus. First round was pretty straightforward with profit=revenue - loss and breakeven calculations. 2nd round in either of their Virginia offices. 1 behavioral and 2 cases, 45 min each. My second case was much harder than the first. It was somewhat hard to relate to the interviewers because they were significantly older and didn't seem very interested or invested in you as a candidate. No offer but it was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you overcame a challenge and what you learned. They a lot of follow up questions for each situation.   View Answers (5)

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Was selected through on-campus recruiting. Went through first round interview which was a case study. Then was flown to Dallas to go through final rounds which consisted of two cases and a behavioral interview. Overall was a very easy process as Capital One really wants to take care of its interns and treat you well.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview was about a Uber-like taxi service. Was required to find out factors that affect profit and do some simple calculations to determine if that was true. Once I found a result I was then required to come up with a recommendation.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Interviews are all cased based--usually around profitability and breaking-even. Understand profitability frameworks before going in and practice with case-prep books. Slightly different from consulting case interviews but similar enough.

Interview Questions
    • Case was based on Uber and how to increase profitability during non-peak hours   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

I applied online and met with recruiters during a career fair. I got my first interview after the career fair on campus. They must have liked me after the first interview because I was flown to Dallas, Texas for a followup interview at their corporate office. Both interviews were case interviews. They watched me solve some business-style algebra questions. It was pretty simply since I'm a math major.

Interview Questions
    • The case involved entering a new market. They mainly wanted to know if I had a grasp of the problems a new business would have to consider.   Answer Question
    Fresh out of college. No negotiations.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

I applied on their website but did not get an interview until I applied through my school's job posting. The process to schedule the interview was pretty easy and the interview was on campus. The interview was a case study (my first case study) and the problem was pretty easy. I got stumped because the interviewer changed his mind on how he wanted me to calculate what he was asking, throwing me off. After I solved the math part and gave my answer he answered any questions I had about Capital One and the position. The next steps are a behavioral and two case study interviews at their office.

Interview Questions
    • Case study where you calculate the break-even point if a company has a promotion.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Applied through school career website. took about 2 weeks. Interview was supposed to be behavioral and case study but only ended up being the case study. Was invited for the 2nd round in plano. Pleasent experience. The had someone there who was working in the position I was applying for so it was nice to be able to ask her questions and stuff

Interview Questions
    • Case study was given mostly math and critical thing stuff. Shouldnt be to bad for anyone with a business acumen   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I met the recruiter and a couple of current business analysts at my school career fair. The recruiter and associates were very friendly and open to answering any questions I asked. I applied on my school website and the Capital One website and heard back about my first interview within the week. The first interview was a 30 minute case interview and Capital One offered 2 different opportunities to practice cases with current analysts before the interview. A few days later I was offered a final round interview on-site, which consisted of 1 behavioral and 2 case interviews. Overall, Capital One's process was quick and very well organized.

Interview Questions
    • The case interviews were mainly numbers based and revolved around banking and credit card type problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Great interview process. Began with an initial case interview by phone. The case was quite simple, interviewer was really just looking to see if I could understand the parameters of a problem and use the relevant information to arrive at a solution. Then invited to Richmond, VA where their main campus is located. After a tour of the campus, went through two more quantitative case interviews followed by a behavioral interview. Process was very straightforward and honestly quite fun overall.

Interview Questions
    • Case questions were quantitative and all about problem-solving, nothing technical.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in June 2014.

Had two brief phone conversation with HR and a senior manager before flying over to TX. The limo took me from the airport to NYLO hotel. Then the next day morning 5 of us were arranged to different rooms and waiting for the interviewers. I was very excited and well prepared but still struggled. I killed my first behavoral round. Until the cases, my two interviewers(VPs) had very heavy Indian accent therefore I couldn't even understand some of the questions. It's very frustrating that you have to really focus on what they said then talk through the problems on your approach. I wasn't sure if I understood correctly. One of them showed a boring look and wasn't interested in my answers at all...Overall, I would say the entire process is just average(better if you can better understand the casers....) Out 5 of us, only 1 person made to the final round. Maybe he was good at the cases or maybe just speaking&knowing the accent lol PLEASE diversify people in the senior management.....Play a fair game.

Interview Questions
    • One of the cases was about a shipping company.
      They asked many detailed questions(conceptual) after you solved the breakeven.
      What does this graph mean?
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Capital One interview process was very well organized and thorough. During my interview process several candidates were put up at the Embassy Suites and during the whole day interview, interviewers came to the room one at a time. A battery of skills and general analytical and aptitude tests were administered. A couple of business cases - one focused on quantitative skills and another on qualitative, strategic thinking skills were given.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was related to the economics of operating a call center.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.