Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

222 interviews

3.2

222 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2011.

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's career center and through Capital One's career page. Along with my application I completed two online assessments before the 1:1 interview. I interviewed with a Richmond, VA employee on campus, and it lasted approximately 45 minutes. It was a case interview - that's it. The interviewer asked my name and then we started the case interview. After it was completed he asked if I had any questions and that was it. The interviewer was definitely not friendly or interested in learning about the interviewee. I got the impression that this was a chore he had to do. I received an e-mail 2-3 days later saying I wouldn't be invited to interview on location.

I went to a case workshop with Capital One on campus, and the actual interview case was significantly harder. The focus was more on the numbers rather than on broad marketing concepts.

Interview Questions
  • The case was about running a ferry company - definitely harder than the case example on the Capital One interview.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee  in  Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter that found my my resume from my school (business school). First you have to take an online assessment that consists of personality, reading, and math assessment. The math assessments are like mini cases where they give you some information and some graphs and ask you questions. After I was told that I passed the assessment the interview was set up about a month out where I went to headquarters. I was there with several other applicants and we did a basic behavioral where generally speaking you just need to know your story and come off as confident. Then there was a break and then two more case interviews that were heavy on math. Capital One really values quant skills so if you can do this you'll be fine. Afterwards we had lunch and had a tour of the building.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you lead a team and had to convince people to do what you wanted.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume through my university's career services website. Completed online math and personality assessments. Then I had a phone interview with a current business analyst. The focus of this interview was a pretty simple case that involved some math. In my opinion, this phone interview was to make sure that you did not get someone else to take the online math test for you. If you are even somewhat good at math, you shouldn't have a problem with this interview. Contacted by a recruiter that day to schedule my trip to Richmond for the final round of interviews.

The final round interviews are conducted at the Richmond campus. Capital One pays for everything (hotel, travel, food, etc.). You have dinner with several current business analysts the night before. This dinner was enjoyable and very informal. The employees couldn't have been nicer, but they definitely downplayed the difficulty of the two case interviews. The two case interviews for the final round interviews are not easy. You have to get the cases right to get the job. If you want the job, spend a lot of timing studying the math concepts they send to you. They give you very good instructions for the final round behavioral interview. At the end of the interview process, everyone in my group was flustered by the difficulty of the two cases. In my opinion, they are really looking for people that stand out during the case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They will send you a list of business math topics beforehand. If you want the job, you should spend a lot of time studying these topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
      (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
      (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
      (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.
        View Answers (2)
    • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
      (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
      (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
      (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
      (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
      (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
      (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
      (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
      (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.
        View Answers (2)

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview process started with an on-campus interview, which was then followed with an on-site visit. The on-campus interviewed involved a simple case study. The on-site visit consisted of 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview

Interview Questions
    • Not a business major, the case studies were a little difficult for me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Capital One interview process was very well organized and thorough. During my interview process several candidates were put up at the Embassy Suites and during the whole day interview, interviewers came to the room one at a time. A battery of skills and general analytical and aptitude tests were administered. A couple of business cases - one focused on quantitative skills and another on qualitative, strategic thinking skills were given.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was related to the economics of operating a call center.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One in June 2014.

The interview process started with verbal and numerical reasoning tests. After successfully passing them, I had a phone interview with a recruiter. My recruiter didn't ask me any technical/case questions on the phone. After passing the phone interview, I was invited to the first round interviews at their office where I had 1 behavioural and 1 case interview. My behavioural wasn't difficult at all or too much different from a usual interview of that type. It's just that the interviewer (another recruiter) asked me 2-3 follow-up questions every time I answered her questions to get a little bit more details which is fine if you are telling a true story. The recruiter was incredibly nice. The second part was a case interview with a manager. Again, he was very helpful, didn't put any pressure at all and was very collaborative encouraging a lot of questions. The case has little to do with consulting case interviews - Capital One doesn't seem to care much about HOW you present but more about WHAT you are saying and how you can solve the problem. I describe the case I had in a separate section. Overall, I really enjoyed the interviews; they are not scary at all. I was invited to the second round interviews but turned it down as I received an offer from another bank.

Interview Questions
    • Case – Capital One in the US contemplates the idea of installing more ATMs (next questions come one at a time):

a. Discuss profit drivers for an ATM

b. Assess viability of putting an ATM in a branch that currently doesn't have one
      You are then given some data
      i. Revenue = $3/customers
      ii. 20% are non-customers (have their cards emitted by some other bank, not Capital One)
      iii. Cost of connecting to network = $0.1/transaction
      iv. Renting an ATM = $5000
      v. Question -> how many customers you need to use your ATM in order for it to break even; what is the total profit
      You are now supposed to put it together in one equation and solve (I might have missed 1-2 variables)

c. What should be the proportion of customers to non-customers for am ATM to make the same profit as before, if installed in the public place? You are given a few other costs, such as cost of renting a space; some variables from the previous question still apply.

d. Draw a curve that shows the relationships between % of transactions made by non-customers (y-axis) and a total number of transactions made in one ATM (x-axis).
        Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One.

Three rounds . The initial round consisted of 35 data interpretation questions to be solved over a period of 30 minutes. The next two rounds are case - based , mainly focused on credit-cards and similar Cap One products

Interview Questions
    • Marketing Strategy of the Credit cards for multiple cases   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Two rounds of interviews, many case interviews, diverse staff and very large offices with a community atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult case regarding insurance analysis, no technical questions.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Everything was very professional and the recruiter at my school was really helpful and communicative. Although they claim to be very laid-back, Capital One is a very corporate environment. The other people interviewing were very high-strung and they weren't necessarily passionate about Capital One but rather just consulting and company names. I made it past the initial interview at my school and was flown to Richmond. I was very impressed with the tour and all of the accommodations, but ultimately I think my lack of background in finance and economics was an obstacle

Interview Questions
    • As a liberal arts major, I was thrown off guard by a case problem about loans. I didn't know a lot of the terminology and my interviewer seemed frustrated when I asked questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!