Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014

3.2

222 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume through my university's career services website. Completed online math and personality assessments. Then I had a phone interview with a current business analyst. The focus of this interview was a pretty simple case that involved some math. In my opinion, this phone interview was to make sure that you did not get someone else to take the online math test for you. If you are even somewhat good at math, you shouldn't have a problem with this interview. Contacted by a recruiter that day to schedule my trip to Richmond for the final round of interviews.

The final round interviews are conducted at the Richmond campus. Capital One pays for everything (hotel, travel, food, etc.). You have dinner with several current business analysts the night before. This dinner was enjoyable and very informal. The employees couldn't have been nicer, but they definitely downplayed the difficulty of the two case interviews. The two case interviews for the final round interviews are not easy. You have to get the cases right to get the job. If you want the job, spend a lot of timing studying the math concepts they send to you. They give you very good instructions for the final round behavioral interview. At the end of the interview process, everyone in my group was flustered by the difficulty of the two cases. In my opinion, they are really looking for people that stand out during the case interviews.

Interview Questions
  • They will send you a list of business math topics beforehand. If you want the job, you should spend a lot of time studying these topics.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
      (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
      (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
      (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.
        View Answers (2)
    • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
      (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
      (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
      (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
      (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
      (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
      (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
      (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
      (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.
        View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vienna, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter that found my my resume from my school (business school). First you have to take an online assessment that consists of personality, reading, and math assessment. The math assessments are like mini cases where they give you some information and some graphs and ask you questions. After I was told that I passed the assessment the interview was set up about a month out where I went to headquarters. I was there with several other applicants and we did a basic behavioral where generally speaking you just need to know your story and come off as confident. Then there was a break and then two more case interviews that were heavy on math. Capital One really values quant skills so if you can do this you'll be fine. Afterwards we had lunch and had a tour of the building.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you lead a team and had to convince people to do what you wanted.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2011.

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's career center and through Capital One's career page. Along with my application I completed two online assessments before the 1:1 interview. I interviewed with a Richmond, VA employee on campus, and it lasted approximately 45 minutes. It was a case interview - that's it. The interviewer asked my name and then we started the case interview. After it was completed he asked if I had any questions and that was it. The interviewer was definitely not friendly or interested in learning about the interviewee. I got the impression that this was a chore he had to do. I received an e-mail 2-3 days later saying I wouldn't be invited to interview on location.

I went to a case workshop with Capital One on campus, and the actual interview case was significantly harder. The focus was more on the numbers rather than on broad marketing concepts.

Interview Questions
    • The case was about running a ferry company - definitely harder than the case example on the Capital One interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Interview consisted of challenging case study involving challenging managerial accounting.

Interview Questions
    • How can be implement our cost savings strategies into our objective function.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in February 2011.

Case Interview: Underwriting for a credit card company. In deciding whether or not to issue credit cards, CapOne verifies employment history. Cost is $1 per application. X% are verfied, 1-X% fail the verification. What percentage of good and bad applicants does there need to be in order for verification process to break even

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in March 2011.

2 case studies. 1 behavioral interview. Then we got lunch and a tour of the corporate campus. After lunch, 4 other candidates and I were pulled to do a 4th interview (another case). Two of the cases were about credit cards, and one was the Ferry Boat example, which was probably the hardest case. The cases were tricky but doable. They don't really care about you doing lots of mental math, so you can bring a calculator. I'd recommend bringing your own to the interview, otherwise you might have to use the rinky dink solar-powered calculator that you're not familiar with.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral: Tell me about a time you had to convince someone over to your point of view. How did that go? What were the difficulties?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in February 2011.

First round case interview, followed by online assessments, and then a final round of behavioral/case interviews at the Richmond office. Intense but fair, and company really cares about the potential hires.

Interview Questions
    • What was a project you worked on that drastically contributed to your overall learning or personal character?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2011.

I meet Capital One through my university recruiting. After submitting my resume, they came to my university and conducting a case interview. The second round was a timed standardized test online, math and verbal. For the third and final round, they flew me up to their McLean HQ (all expenses paid). Fairly long interview day, 2 cases and 1 behavioral. I think in the cases they are looking if you can do the quantitative analysis. I have a positive impression of the company: young, innovative, friendly => good corporate culture if you are looking to get into finance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

The interview day consisted of two case studies and one behav. interview. I was invited to the headqaurt. without an on campus interview. One of the case study interview was hard, with the interviewer using his own notepad.

Interview Questions
    • descibe a situation where you had to challege the organization   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!