Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a quants test on campus similar to the GRE/GMAT format which was relatively hard compared to the other tests i have taken. The students that cleared this round were invited for a case interview and a behavioral test. The case interview in itself was very interesting: The case went something like this.

You are about to start a Dominoes Pizza joint and i was supposed to crunch numbers to do a bunch of break even analyses.

In the behavioral test, i had to answer something like 250 qns. Once i cleared these 2, i was invited for another round of behavioral (1) and case interviews (2) in the following week. I got the job offer the very next day.

Interview Questions

• Dominoes Pizza case: # of Pizzas that need to be sold in order to break even.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No i wasnt able to negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's career center and through Capital One's career page. Along with my application I completed two online assessments before the 1:1 interview. I interviewed with a Richmond, VA employee on campus, and it lasted approximately 45 minutes. It was a case interview - that's it. The interviewer asked my name and then we started the case interview. After it was completed he asked if I had any questions and that was it. The interviewer was definitely not friendly or interested in learning about the interviewee. I got the impression that this was a chore he had to do. I received an e-mail 2-3 days later saying I wouldn't be invited to interview on location.

I went to a case workshop with Capital One on campus, and the actual interview case was significantly harder. The focus was more on the numbers rather than on broad marketing concepts.

Interview Questions

• The case was about running a ferry company - definitely harder than the case example on the Capital One interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter that found my my resume from my school (business school). First you have to take an online assessment that consists of personality, reading, and math assessment. The math assessments are like mini cases where they give you some information and some graphs and ask you questions. After I was told that I passed the assessment the interview was set up about a month out where I went to headquarters. I was there with several other applicants and we did a basic behavioral where generally speaking you just need to know your story and come off as confident. Then there was a break and then two more case interviews that were heavy on math. Capital One really values quant skills so if you can do this you'll be fine. Afterwards we had lunch and had a tour of the building.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you lead a team and had to convince people to do what you wanted.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume through my university's career services website. Completed online math and personality assessments. Then I had a phone interview with a current business analyst. The focus of this interview was a pretty simple case that involved some math. In my opinion, this phone interview was to make sure that you did not get someone else to take the online math test for you. If you are even somewhat good at math, you shouldn't have a problem with this interview. Contacted by a recruiter that day to schedule my trip to Richmond for the final round of interviews.

The final round interviews are conducted at the Richmond campus. Capital One pays for everything (hotel, travel, food, etc.). You have dinner with several current business analysts the night before. This dinner was enjoyable and very informal. The employees couldn't have been nicer, but they definitely downplayed the difficulty of the two case interviews. The two case interviews for the final round interviews are not easy. You have to get the cases right to get the job. If you want the job, spend a lot of timing studying the math concepts they send to you. They give you very good instructions for the final round behavioral interview. At the end of the interview process, everyone in my group was flustered by the difficulty of the two cases. In my opinion, they are really looking for people that stand out during the case interviews.

Interview Questions

• They will send you a list of business math topics beforehand. If you want the job, you should spend a lot of time studying these topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
      (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
      (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
      (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.

2 Answers
    • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
      (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
      (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
      (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
      (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
      (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
      (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
      (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
      (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.

2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting posting, received notification that I had been selected for a phone business case. After the phone business case, which was not difficult, yet was awkward due to it being on the phone, I was invited to the final round interviews in Richmond. Final round consisted of flying in, staying the night at the Hilton, then two case interviews and a behavioral interview the next day.

Interview Questions

• Cases were definitely intended to be more quantitative than other business cases I've encountered in interviews, yet not impossible. Cases focused on the response rates of various advertising segments, arms, and another concerning credit card demographic segments.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process started with verbal and numerical reasoning tests. After successfully passing them, I had a phone interview with a recruiter. My recruiter didn't ask me any technical/case questions on the phone. After passing the phone interview, I was invited to the first round interviews at their office where I had 1 behavioural and 1 case interview. My behavioural wasn't difficult at all or too much different from a usual interview of that type. It's just that the interviewer (another recruiter) asked me 2-3 follow-up questions every time I answered her questions to get a little bit more details which is fine if you are telling a true story. The recruiter was incredibly nice. The second part was a case interview with a manager. Again, he was very helpful, didn't put any pressure at all and was very collaborative encouraging a lot of questions. The case has little to do with consulting case interviews - Capital One doesn't seem to care much about HOW you present but more about WHAT you are saying and how you can solve the problem. I describe the case I had in a separate section. Overall, I really enjoyed the interviews; they are not scary at all. I was invited to the second round interviews but turned it down as I received an offer from another bank.

Interview Questions

• Case – Capital One in the US contemplates the idea of installing more ATMs (next questions come one at a time):

a. Discuss profit drivers for an ATM

b. Assess viability of putting an ATM in a branch that currently doesn't have one
      You are then given some data
      i. Revenue = $3/customers
      ii. 20% are non-customers (have their cards emitted by some other bank, not Capital One)
      iii. Cost of connecting to network = $0.1/transaction
      iv. Renting an ATM = $5000
      v. Question -> how many customers you need to use your ATM in order for it to break even; what is the total profit
      You are now supposed to put it together in one equation and solve (I might have missed 1-2 variables)

c. What should be the proportion of customers to non-customers for am ATM to make the same profit as before, if installed in the public place? You are given a few other costs, such as cost of renting a space; some variables from the previous question still apply.

d. Draw a curve that shows the relationships between % of transactions made by non-customers (y-axis) and a total number of transactions made in one ATM (x-axis).

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I met the recruiter and a couple of current business analysts at my school career fair. The recruiter and associates were very friendly and open to answering any questions I asked. I applied on my school website and the Capital One website and heard back about my first interview within the week. The first interview was a 30 minute case interview and Capital One offered 2 different opportunities to practice cases with current analysts before the interview. A few days later I was offered a final round interview on-site, which consisted of 1 behavioral and 2 case interviews. Overall, Capital One's process was quick and very well organized.

Interview Questions

• The case interviews were mainly numbers based and revolved around banking and credit card type problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter soon after applying, asked to complete the online math/verbal/behavioral tests then asked to speak over the phone with the hiring manager, then invited in for a full day of interviews with three company representatives.

The job seemed to match my advertising experience, but was more focused on product marketing which is not my strong point.

Interview Questions

• Questions directed at increasing card usage/sales through increased loyalty marketing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, many case interviews, diverse staff and very large offices with a community atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Difficult case regarding insurance analysis, no technical questions.   Answer Question