Capital One

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Capital One in September 2010.

Interview Details – Started with an initial phone interview for job fit. Followed by a 2 part test online which candidates have to pass. Next candidates are invited back for a whole day of interviews. I had to meet/talk to 6 different people all dispersed into 4 separate interviews.

Interview Question – Find the critical path given a gantt chart.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Richmond, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

Interview Details – Intense. Be prepared for a behavioral interview and a case study over a period of approximately 5 hours, with at least 4 - 8 different people, depending on the position for which you are seeking. As I was already working for the company, there were some aspects that did not apply to me, i.e. background check, credit check, personality testing.

Interview Question – There was not one particular question - it's the overall feel of the interview process. One must remember that Capital One and their employees have what some people would think of as "arrogance" in their approach to meeting new people. There is an air of suspicion and superiority that you must be able to rise above and not let it intimidate you. Capital One is no better or worse than any other company in the banking/credit card world in terms of their people skills, and I've worked for several of those companies.

One thing that no one can overcome at Capital One is their age or race. Although Capital One does have older workers, the vast majority of Capital One employees are very young, i.e average age is probably somewhere around 35 years old and/or just minted college graduates. If you happen to be Indian, or a foreigner in general, that's even better!! If you are just graduating college and get a job at Capital One, you will be treated like royalty and be given the best opportunities at succeeding in the company. When I first started I was a bit envious of the training opportunities and "red carpet" treatment that newly minted college grads received compared to their average, middle aged co-workers. I've never felt so old in all my life!!
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for this particular position; it was a "take it or leave it" situation. I suspect that is not always the case at higher levels.

Very Difficult Interview

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview Details – The quantitative test was the most difficult online test compared to the other 2. Fortunately passed and was summoned for a 4 hour interview (2 behavioral, 1 job fit and 1 case) The job fit and case interviews were the worst! Job fit interview questions were endless and grueling, and the case interview required a manual calculation and drawing of a GANTT chart! I mean who has ever calculated the number of days in a large project manually?! I was prepared for business case type questions, but never for a project management question.

Interview Question – Manually calculate the number of days from a project schedule.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in June 2011.

Interview Details – Initially Capital One came to my campus for onsite interviews, and I didn't think too much of it. My friend got the job and loved it, so I applied. I got the recruiter's information from him, so I was able to get my resume directly to a campus recruiter. They liked my resume so they asked me to fill out an online profile. I filled out the profile and officially applied for the job. Afterwards, I had to take a personality test online. I passed that, then they gave me a verbal and quantitative exam. It was pretty intense, I thought I failed, but apparently not.

Afterwards, I was scheduled for a "power day" aka a very long interview day for a month later (earliest available time that worked for my schedule). That is why the process took so long, mainly. I got to the interview day and had the following interviews: Case Interview, Job Fit Interview, Behavioral Interview. I did well on all three and then got a lunch and tour of the campus. Afterwards, I was told I would know in 2-3 business days, but it could take up to 5 business days at the most. I was nervous, but I thought I did well. When I got home I sent thank you e-mails to all of my interviewers and waited.

The next morning I received two replies to my e-mails - both positive, and then about two hours afterwards I got the call with the offer. I accepted the offer letter online and am now waiting to start in about a month. Overall, strenuous, but very rewarding process. They definitely make sure they get you if they like you, if you know what I mean. The company seems awesome, especially to start a career.

Good luck if you're applying for this position, and utilize any resource you can find to prepare for the case. The number one thing in the case is preparation and asking questions and communication during the interview.

For the Behavioral, make sure you read the sample questions they give you ahead of time and have 2-3 examples of each answer ready to go.

For the Job Fit, make sure you're at ease and have a good time, it'll reflect well on you and its the easiest interview.

Also, don't have Mexican food the night before, especially if you're unlucky enough to get a case first thing in the morning....

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to juggle more than one important task at once with varying deadlines and how you were able to handle this situation.   View Answer
  • Describe a time where you had to convince someone to see your point of view and how you went about it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, the offer is pretty incredible and I felt it was more than fair.

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in June 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online at capitalone.com.
Attach resume and answer a few brief questions.
HR takes about one week to let you know if they've declined your application or forwarded it on to the hiring manager.
Take two tests. One is a standard test including behavioral questions. The other is the dreaded math test.
Assuming you pass the two tests you'll be directed to interview with one or more people individually. In my case directors across a few different lines of business.
About two weeks later I received an offer.

Interview Question – Mostly finance related questions. I can't recall exactly what they were.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in November 2010.

Interview Details – Recieved an interview with university and it consist of quantitative test, personality test, and reading test. Then 1:1 interview about 30 to 45 mins, got second round interview and it consist of case study, behaviral interview, and job- fit interview.

Interview Questions

Business Systems Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is intense with Capital One, by design. They strive to get the hire right the FIRST time, and to hire only the best of the best. You must first complete analytcial exams (mine were Math and Verbal). Pending successful passing of the exam(s), you are brought in for 4 interviews (2 Behavioral, 1 Job Fit, 1 Case). If they like you after that, they begin the hiring stage. It is all quite intimidating, and competitive. But, if you know your stuff, and interview well, you can definitely get a job with this GREAT company.

Interview Question – How would you solve the problem of reducing over 7,000 mailing offers down to a more meaningful number (this was my Case interview).   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Capital One

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One Business Systems Analyst interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees and interview candidates.