Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.3

77 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied and interviewed through campus hire program in Spring 2014. Process took about 3 week. They had plenty of on campus info sessions and interview preparation. I had one interview on campus and an invite for a final round of interviews on site in Richmond. Interviewers were friendly but focused on the task at hand: judging your analytic ability. This is the main focus of the case interviews, to see if you can draw conclusions and think of different approaches by yourself. They will help you get back on track if you get lost, but doing this too often probably isn't good. They provide a calculator, but the numbers are easy so you can get extra points for not using it.

Interview Questions
  • My cases were more analytic in nature than cases I studied. Many times you will be asked to make a graph or a function. The cases will have clear conclusions, so you will know if you finished the case in the allotted time or not. I prepared a lot and I was fine, but I can see cases being hard if you aren't prepared.   Answer Question
New grads don't have much room to negotiate. But don't really need to, good pay and benefits.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

The process of scheduling the interview was the most disorganized I've experienced and the interviewer was quite condescending during the case interview. The interviewer seemed reluctant to answer any questions about the case, the company, and the job. Overall, the process felt cold, impersonal, and one-sided.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were related to the case. There were no behavioral questions or questions about my skills/experience.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

Applied through their main website. Took about 1 month for the whole process to complete. First they scheduled me for phone interview and it went well. they just ask basic mathematical questions.

Data Analyst Interview

After being contacted on the phone, I was flown into Dallas to interview. 3 rounds; 2 case, 1 behavioral. The case interviews required out of the box thinking, the behavioral followed the usual STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • The case studies can be quite challenging, its good to practice with McKinsey style questions   Answer Question
    No negotiations

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

First was an on campus case interview then they invited me to an on site interview. The on site interview consisted of two case interviews and one behavioral interview. Case interviews were pretty easy. The behavioral interview is only three questions but they'll get you to really go into detail for each answer so the interview lasts almost an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

I applied through campus recruiting, had a case study on campus and then had an on-site interview with three case studies and a personal interview

Interview Questions
    • Case studies are pretty standard, but sometimes you can get tripped up on questions.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I applied through my university's job search software. I had an initial on-campus 1:1 case interview. After passing this initial round, I was flown to the Capital One office at Richmond, VA, where I had a "Power Day": three interviews over the course of three hours. I had two case interviews and one behavioral interview. Each interview is forty-five minutes long, with an additional forty-five minute break in between two of the interviews. After my round of interviews, I was given a tour of the office and lunch, and was flown back to my university the same day. Their review process is very fast; I was contacted with an offer the next business day.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I applied my skills to persuade a group of people to agree with my point of view.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2014.

I applied online for the Data Analyst position through my University's career services website. About a week later I was invited to a single case interview at my college campus, as well as an on-campus reception on the night before the interview, at which Capital One representatives basically talked about what Capital One does and why we should be excited to work for them. During my initial interview, the interviewer was extremely friendly, which definitely helped me calm down a bit (though I still made a number of calculation errors on my way to the correct answers). Despite my mistakes, miraculously I was selected to attend the final-round interviews in Richmond, at Capital One's main campus, two weeks later. They paid to have us stay at the Hilton, and held a reception on the night before our interviews in which we talked with current Data Analysts at Capital One, who have only worked there for a year or two (note: these people aren't associated with the hiring team, so there's no pressure to impress them or anything). On the morning of the interviews, at the Capital One headquarters, each Data Analyst candidate was assigned to wait in a small room, and was given a schedule. The schedule split our morning into four 'blocks' -- in random order, we had a behavioral interview, two case interviews, and a 45-minute break. We sat in our rooms and waited for interviewers to come at the appointed times. Each interview was one-on-one, though some of the interviews included a second Capital One employee who was simply observing the interview (in training). Around noon we finished our interviews, ate lunch as a group at the Capital One cafeteria, went on a short tour of the campus, and then left. Three days later, a recruiter called to make me an offer.

I didn't really negotiate -- the offer was very generous, and further, I hear that Capital One doesn't negotiate much with entry-level hires.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Passed the initial on-campus case interview and then went to their Richmond location where we were given two more case studies, a behavioral interview and a job fit.

Interview Questions
    • Given a scenario where Capital One pairs with company XYZ and offers a company credit card through them, what is the break even point when the interchange rate is X%.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2014.

Campus interview, then on site. one behavioral, two case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to learn a new skill to complete a task   Answer Question