Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I applied through university channel. The process took a few weeks. An alumni who currently work for Capital One interviewed me on campus. And then had an on-site interview with three case studies in Richmond VA.

Interview Questions

• Technical problems: CI, missing data, p-value...
    Remember to explain these terms not too professionally.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

A phone screening by a recruiter first.
    Then an online coding test including coin flipping, anagram...can be coded in any language except R.
    Third round is the technical interview with a member of the team. Questions are about how you deal with large dataset, map-reduce, an practice problem about point estimation and a case study.

Interview Questions

• something about large dataset, map-reduce, an practice problem about point estimation, some basic statistic concept and a case study.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college or university, first round case interview with a ft data analyst. Get flown out to company office in Plano, where you have 2 case interviews and a behavioral interview. If you do well you are asked to stay for a fourth case interview. If you're not asked, most likely you will not be getting the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you...(behavioral)   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Quick interview process, first round,intense. 3 to1. All questions from resume so be sure to be familiar with your resumes.Raising questions along when you talking about what you did before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

first round is through campus recruit. submitted applications and had interview on campus. the interviewer is also an alum, so the communication process is ok. The final round is on-site interview in Richmond VA

Interview Questions

• how to do data cleaning/ do you have any questions for us   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

1. Online question takes 2-4 hours 2. After pass online test HR will contact you in a week to set up onsite interview. Onsite takes 5 hours to do.

Interview Questions

• Solve several business cases and need to use a calculator to do probability problems   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Applied and interviewed through campus hire program in Spring 2014. Process took about 3 week. They had plenty of on campus info sessions and interview preparation. I had one interview on campus and an invite for a final round of interviews on site in Richmond. Interviewers were friendly but focused on the task at hand: judging your analytic ability. This is the main focus of the case interviews, to see if you can draw conclusions and think of different approaches by yourself. They will help you get back on track if you get lost, but doing this too often probably isn't good. They provide a calculator, but the numbers are easy so you can get extra points for not using it.

Interview Questions

• My cases were more analytic in nature than cases I studied. Many times you will be asked to make a graph or a function. The cases will have clear conclusions, so you will know if you finished the case in the allotted time or not. I prepared a lot and I was fine, but I can see cases being hard if you aren't prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation

New grads don't have much room to negotiate. But don't really need to, good pay and benefits.

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Submitted my application online through University Hiring site and was contacted for an on campus interview.

Went over the videos they sent and the interview was rough. I had never done a mock case interview except practicing with the videos and felt very ill equipped. I am a statistics major so the math was easy but figuring out what he was trying to get at was not.

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't remember what brought about the question but he just asked me what is the largest expense for a bank. It seemed to have no effect on any part of the case at all and it really didn't but we spent 5 minutes just talking about that. It really confused me.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The process of scheduling the interview was the most disorganized I've experienced and the interviewer was quite condescending during the case interview. The interviewer seemed reluctant to answer any questions about the case, the company, and the job. Overall, the process felt cold, impersonal, and one-sided.

Interview Questions

• All questions were related to the case. There were no behavioral questions or questions about my skills/experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I start from campus interview. We are first required to set up personal profile from their website as well as our campus career website. After the prescreen is passed, we were contacted by email with confirmation of interview time and additional interview materials, which are basically the questions we can find from their website.
    During the interview, two ladies are there. One asked questions, the other seemed to be a recorder or an observer. She first framed the business background, which is a satellite radio company in 2002, who wanted to start the business as a subscription base to the users. I was asked what's the point to make it profitable, do some simple calculations on whether it is profitable, and if the lifetime subscription could be profitable over it.

Interview Questions

• Is the lifetime promotion could be profitable over the conventional subscription?   Answer Question