Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.3

77 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

I applied for an interview through our career website. Was followed up with an HR rep who asked me to apply online. After applying online, was required to take a personality test and standardized test (verbal comprehension and math).

Once this was completed, I was invited to interview on campus. The interview was a quantitative case study and was very stressful. The interviewer was very friendly and relaxed, however. Despite my experience, never once were any questions asked about my resume. The case study involved purely mathematical questions, equations, and theories...definitely not like the usual behavioral interview.

I am still awaiting the results, one way or the other. I think the company is great, however the interview process after this is even more intensive...

Interview Questions
  • Case study...analyze this graph (given details), what can you tell me about it?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

First round interview was a business case study. Interviewer led case was easy to take but difficult to properly execute. Ask as many questions as possible because they are very friendly. No matter what you do you must be able to put every solvable problem into some form of an algebraic equation.

Interview Questions
    • 100MM Revenue Company is a computer hardware distributor. They solely work as a middleman between wholesaler and customer. They have gross transaction costs of 80 MM and 2 offices with expenses totaling 20MM (10MM each) and 20MM in sales costs.

Are they Profitable?
      If not, what are some options they may have to become profitable?

For every additional $1 of revenue, the company has $0.90 costs. How much must they raise revenue to break-even?

Is this a reasonable solution? Why or why not?

20MM in sales related costs. 70% goes to vendor costs and 30% to salesperson travel expenses, etc.

Current vendor costs 50% more than industry standard. How much would the company save going to new vendor?

Current industry sales per saleperson is 33% higher than current salespeople. How much could they save if they wanted to cut down number of salespeople with industry standard versions to maintain 100MM revenue?

With the reduction in sales costs are they profitable? Why or why not? What if they close one of the offices to lower office expenses? How much must they now produce in revenue to break-even? (use break even equation as we did earlier)

Finally manager comes to you and says “we want to make our profits to be 3% of our revenue”. How can you make this happen?

Most questions should have an algebraic way to calculate. I can’t really remember every detail of the case because it was lengthy but this will give you a great idea as to how it will be structured.
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One in September 2011.

I had an on campus interview which consisted of what they call case studies. There really is minimal ways to prepare for this as it is more of a test of your ability to manipulate numbers for mostly break even points they also may ask you to make graphs and other things like that. The biggest thing is to not panic. They know they are difficult and you are supposed to mess up at certain points. The interviewer will help you at those points. If you don't understand something just ask! I was invited then to Richmond for an onsite interview. Here they give you a tour of the facility as well as a personality assessment as well as two more case studies all with different people. The personality portion was explained to me in the sense 'we just want to make sure you are not a murderer do not worry too much about that portion'. The case studies are what really matters. These case studies in my opinion were of a little greater difficulty than the first one I had but test over the same concepts. All in all just relax. You are competing against a base score to get the job and not the other applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had to take the lead in a group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in July 2008.

Math test followed by onsite interview. Math test comprised of 30-35 questions and you have 25 minutes to answer. The key is to answer them quickly. Not many people are able to finish all the questions. Onsite interview comprised of 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview. Behavioral interview isn't difficult. Case interview is broken down to several sub questions and gets harder toward the end.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a time when you had conflicts in a team project, and how did you resolve that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

The capital one interview process is long and hard. They really drag it out to see how presistent you are. Be Presistent! The process consists of a few online screenings, off site behavorial interview, offsite case study interview, and a on-site visit. Case study interviews are extremely important to cap1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

Case Interview
    Describes case, gives variables, costs, interest rates, borrowing rates, etc.
    You have to solve the problems in front of the interview and it was very nerve-wraking because you don't want to take too long because you are sitting in dead silence with someone staring at you but you also need to make sure you get it right.

Interview Questions
    • Interest rate and timing of payments or defaults questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

I contacted the recruiter, who had me take intelligence and personality tests. I passed those and was invited to the final round interview in Richmond. The whole process was great: they had a reception for us the night before in the hotel, where we were able to meet and get to know each other as well as other young analysts working for the company. The next day, the interviews began at 8 AM. We first had to take another intelligence test to confirm our earlier scores. Then, I had a one-on-one case interview which was challenging but not too intimidating, then a two-on-one behavioral interview, followed by one more one-on-one case interview. We then were taken to lunch, given a brief tour, and dismissed.

I heard back from the recruiter in less than a week. All in all, a fine interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview: basic business problem (if product X costs Capital One $4.00 per unit, with a $800 sunk cost, and we charge X amount of dollars along with a $10 annual fee, how many do we need to sell to break even, etc). Followed by a longer discussion of more complex problems that the situation might entail.   View Answers (5)

Data Analyst Interview

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2010.

The overall process was involved from the online Personality and Numerical Reasoning test to the Case an behavioral type interviews onsite. However, once the online test were passed the recruiter was very encouraging throughout the process by trying to align you with all suitable job openings and getting the interview setup and making you feel comfortable with the process. The process showed that they gave thought to the candidate selection. I attended an onsite recruiting day where other candidates were interviewed for various other positions.

Interview Questions
    • Case type interview questions on wether a proposed business venture would be profitable or not. You were given numbers such as the cost to market, expected profit per customer, etc and from tthe information you had to determine wether it would be a good business opportunity or not.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in January 2011.

1st there was a phone interview and then there were 2 online tests, basically critical thinking and behavioural. then there were 3 1:1 interviews with 2 case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • describe a situation when you had to go against your group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Campus recruiter came on our career fair and we entered our information into their system. after that they tell you do complete 2 tests, one analytical and one math, quantitative reasoning. After that they tell you to go to their campus for an on-site interview which consisted of a behavioral interview, a case interview, and a job fit interview.

Contrary to what most said, i thought that the behavior interview was most difficult as they asked you for scenarios in your life when you had to influence someone's decision, when you had to explain something technical to another person with no prior knowledge, and what you believe is one of the greatest accomplishment in your life. Don't think you can BS the behavioral because they ask a lot of questions about details of those scenarios. they also ask why they should hire you and all some other behavioral questions. definitely prepare for this and have a couple of life stories to tell.

Case wasn't too bad, it consisted of 2 numerical problems, 1 hypothetical business problem, and 1 business brain storming problem. just prepare for these.

Job fit was very laid back. they just ask you questions about how you prefer to work and a little about your knowledge in your field of studies. it is based on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you had to explain something technical to a person who has no prior knowledge of what you're trying to show them.   Answer Question