Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

3.3

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Phone screen, two case and several behavioral questions on "super day". ALL candidates are recent college grads or those out of work who will take just about any job. The place is an interview mill and churns through college grads like a meat grinder. Didn't get the job after I was told I did well on ALL cases and behaviorals and was also told my 6+ years of experience was "exactly what they were looking for". Whole process is a scam...throw as much stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

A phone screening by a recruiter first. Then an online coding test including coin flipping, anagram...can be coded in any language except R. Third round is the technical interview with a member of the team. Questions are about how you deal with large dataset, map-reduce, an practice problem about point estimation and a case study.

Interview Questions

• something about large dataset, map-reduce, an practice problem about point estimation, some basic statistic concept and a case study.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through my campus recruiting website and their website too. On campus case study a few weeks later. 2-3 weeks after that I was flown to Richmond, VA for another interview. Consisted of two case studies and one behavioral section with a different interviewer for each section. Cases were very difficult. I heard back 2 days after the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college or university, first round case interview with a ft data analyst. Get flown out to company office in Plano, where you have 2 case interviews and a behavioral interview. If you do well you are asked to stay for a fourth case interview. If you're not asked, most likely you will not be getting the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you...(behavioral)   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I applied through university channel. The process took a few weeks. An alumni who currently work for Capital One interviewed me on campus. And then had an on-site interview with three case studies in Richmond VA.

Interview Questions

• Technical problems: CI, missing data, p-value... Remember to explain these terms not too professionally.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Campus interview consisted of 2 sections; a half hour case and half hour behavioral. Final round interviews consisted of 2 cases and 1 behavioral section, each one hour long. Cases are fairly technically focused but required math is basic. Each case also required very similar skills and processes to work through (they didn't vary vastly from one another), although these may vary from time to time. Just listen carefully and ask questions when necessary.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which a team faced a challenge   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

first round is through campus recruit. submitted applications and had interview on campus. the interviewer is also an alum, so the communication process is ok. The final round is on-site interview in Richmond VA

Interview Questions

• how to do data cleaning/ do you have any questions for us   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Quick interview process, first round,intense. 3 to1. All questions from resume so be sure to be familiar with your resumes.Raising questions along when you talking about what you did before.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview

I talked with a recruiter at a career fair, and was contacted a short time later by a woman in the HR department, saying that they wanted to do an on-campus interview. I went to an additional information session, and then did an on-campus interview a few weeks later. My interviewer for the on-campus interview was nice, but intimidating. We did the standard case study interview; fairly easy, but I got nervous and tripped up on a few things. The interviewer seemed a bit annoyed at the fact that I kept writing out my units and wrote out every single step meticulously, but I did it to ensure that I wouldn't make any stupid mistakes. My interview was the last one of the day; my interview didn't start on time, and we had to end early because he had a plane to catch (he seemed pretty distracted for the last half of my interview). I was surprised that I got a call from a woman in HR, saying that they wanted to fly me to Richmond for an on-site interview in mid-November. The night I got to the hotel, 4 BA/DAs took all of us out to dinner. It was nice, but some of the employees seemed more interested in getting drunk on the company's dime than on informing us about the company. The interviews the next day went very well. The first one, I did fairly well on. Got everything fairly quickly, no stupid mistakes. Second interview (another case interview) I did very well on; got everything right off the bat. The third interview was basically a job placement interview (i.e. "Which of these jobs sounds more interesting?") They had us get our belongings and dropped us off at the airport. I had just sat down at the gate when I received a call, saying that I had been given an offer. The woman in HR spent 10-15 minutes going over the offer, the salary ($65k starting), the signing bonus, benefits package, etc. She asked if I had any other offers; I told her that I didn't, but I would be interviewing at more places and would be applying to graduate school in the spring. Still, I was only given 2 weeks to decide whether or not I wanted the position. After calling back the following week and saying "I'm not going to accept anything until the spring", I was given an extension until late February. Of course, this was still too early to hear back from grad schools, but they weren't willing to extend it any farther. In January, I was taken out to dinner by 4 BA/DAs in my area, and they seemed to imply that their work wasn't very intellectually stimulating, and that most people at that location don't tend to stay long before moving on to another job. Given the early deadline and the insinuations that the work was generally pretty menial, I decided to decline in mid-February. Also, a bit random, but Capital One had by far the best (most prompt, most professional, and the kindest) HR department of any company I interviewed with. Well done, guys.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really, it was 3 case interviews and a personality interview.   Answer Question

It sounded like the benefits package + pay + location + work/life balance were all amazing, but in the end, it sounded like, according to the current employees, the work wasn't that interesting. Ended up going to graduate school instead...of course I wish I were getting paid $65k with that benefits package ($25k with no benefits isn't fun), but ultimately I'm very happy with my decision.

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

1. Online question takes 2-4 hours 2. After pass online test HR will contact you in a week to set up onsite interview. Onsite takes 5 hours to do.

Interview Questions

• Solve several business cases and need to use a calculator to do probability problems   Answer Question