Capital One

Updated Aug 21, 2014

3.7

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in June 2014.

The hiring process was exactly as described by Capital One and other reviews in Glassdoor. They first reached out after finding my information on Linkedin. A recruiter called me and touched on all the basics - here's a general idea of the position, a little back/forth on my background, what I did, etc. to assess a potential fit. That followed with a current salary question and then ended by saying they would follow up - check my email.

I then spoke for about 30 minutes with the hiring manager on the phone - no video call. This was what you would consider a typical phone interview. Hiring manager was positive on our call - so HR put me through a battery of tests which took about 4hrs on a Saturday morning for me to complete. There was an English and math "test" as well as a profile-type test. After completing those tests, I received a call stating I would be invited for an in-person interview.

I interviewed with 3 people for about 30-45 minutes each at Capital One. From the moment I stepped into the building, they are clearly set up to interview people. There was a separate interview section of the building complete with HR offices, break rooms, "greeter", etc. They did it right. Well done!

Interview Questions
  • I did not find any questions too difficult or unexpected. They were all relatively spot-on and assessing my background, fit for the role, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in Oct 2013.

Interview Details – Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Fortunately, I prepared myself very well, especially on personality test. Make sure you prepare yourself well on your personality test, I see too many highly qualified candidates fail the process simply by failing the "supposedly" simple personality test. One excellent source I trained myself with is www.acejobtest.com, where I could train myself with real questions. I passed all the tests, then the face-to-face was kind of easy. I got the offer. Very cool!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2013.

The interview process started with a 30 minute phone interview with a Capital One recruiter and then a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. I was then asked to take an online assessment, which included behavioral/basic accounting/finance multiple choice questions. I received word that I passed the test and was invited to interview in Richmond, VA. My interview day consisted of two hour long behavioral interviews and four fit test interviews. I received an offer about a week later. The entire process took about six weeks from start to finish. Finally, my Capital One recruiter did an amazing job keeping me informed throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you used logic to solve a problem   View Answer

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I spoke with the recruiter and teh hiring manager then had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Their loss.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions that I could not answer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

very rigorous with multiple interviews and difficult analytically based case studies (X2)

Interview Questions
    • None - questions were behavioral in nature   View Answer
    Very easy and straight forward

Director Interview

Smart people, thorough process, friendly and organized HR people.

Interview Questions
    They showed flexibility and moved process quickly

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in June 2013.

Saw a posting on-line and applied via their site. Got called for a phone screen with the hiring manager, then took 2-hour on-line assessments (verbal, math and personality sections.) Then had an almost full day of interviews with 6 people (3 general job-fit, 2 behavioral and 1 casual lunch discussion) and then called back for a 2 hour second-interview with hiring manager and VP at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • Was surprised there were no case studies. Most difficult parts were when I would ask a question the role, it was sometimes turned back to me to give what I thought the answer would be.   View Answer
    Recruiter was very honest. Offer was very fair and what I expected based on my research (and was happy with so I didn't try to squeeze anything more.) They were also willing to negotiate vacation days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2012.

Very rigorous interview process. Had to pass three online tests before they can talk to you. Had three phone interviews and then was invited to Richmond for 3 hour interview. Was told I was one of three candidates they were considering, all being interviewed that day. They did a great job on the visit, was well taken care of. Received call two days later that they decided not to hire any of the three candidates and were going to re-write the job posting. So much for their excellent on-boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions as they do a good job of letting you know what they will ask.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in September 2012.

I was contacted by an HR representive. I interviewed with 2 HR people and took the online tests. I then had an interview with the hiring manager. Then i flew to Ricmond and was picked up in a limo and taken to my hotel. The next day I interviewed all day with behavioral and job fit and case studies. It was all about communication and relating to my experience. The case studt was hard but it was a matter of discussing with your facilitator. Overall a GREAT experience and a Great company to work for

Interview Questions
    • How I handled situations that were uncomfortable   View Answer
    They offered a great salary and relocation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Initial phone screening, online assessment, then on-site interviews. The company provides various online resources to assist both with the online assessment and the interview process. Interviews were behavioral (situation, action, result) and case interviews. Lots of "give me an example" type of questions.

Case interview was not rocket science, but does require some analysis (i.e., a test of the relevant business concepts rather than advanced math). The pre-interview advice that I received from a Cap One employee was to (i) keep it organized, (ii) talk out loud so the interviewer understands your thought process, (iii) ask questions (some information may not be initially provided), and (iv) more experienced candidates may have trouble "discarding reality".

Interview Questions
    • Cap One has a clearly defined process, which they tell you up front. If you do your homework, nothing should be a surprise.   View Answers (2)