Capital One

Updated Feb 2, 2015
Updated Feb 2, 2015

3.7

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

overall long process, multiple interviews. Everyone spoke with very enthusiastic about company. Highly encouraged applicant asking questions which was great. They look for you to interview them which was great. Everyone used behavioral, very standard questions.

Interview Questions
  • use behavioral questions and standard questions for all applicants   Answer Question
not much flexibility basically a take it or leave it but did add on sign on bonus

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in July 2014.

I had an initial HR interview followed by math, verbal and personality tests. Once I passed those I moved to an onsite interview with the hiring manager and peers including a business case study. The next round was with the senior leadership team. I interviewed with a total of 11 people onsite during my 2 visits which was rather grueling. As many people have mentioned, the verbal and math tests were very difficult and I spent hours completing practice tests. I would not have passed without practicing.

The recruiter was very good and did an excellent job of explaining the process and the different people /roles as I moved through the process.

Interview Questions
    • The case study required that I read the case study and ask questions to understand issues. Then I had to quickly prepare a short presentation and make the presentation to the hiring manager on how I would solve the issue.   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate but the offer was fair and they only added a week of vacation.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in June 2014.

The hiring process was exactly as described by Capital One and other reviews in Glassdoor. They first reached out after finding my information on Linkedin. A recruiter called me and touched on all the basics - here's a general idea of the position, a little back/forth on my background, what I did, etc. to assess a potential fit. That followed with a current salary question and then ended by saying they would follow up - check my email.

I then spoke for about 30 minutes with the hiring manager on the phone - no video call. This was what you would consider a typical phone interview. Hiring manager was positive on our call - so HR put me through a battery of tests which took about 4hrs on a Saturday morning for me to complete. There was an English and math "test" as well as a profile-type test. After completing those tests, I received a call stating I would be invited for an in-person interview.

I interviewed with 3 people for about 30-45 minutes each at Capital One. From the moment I stepped into the building, they are clearly set up to interview people. There was a separate interview section of the building complete with HR offices, break rooms, "greeter", etc. They did it right. Well done!

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any questions too difficult or unexpected. They were all relatively spot-on and assessing my background, fit for the role, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in Oct 2013.

Interview Details – Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Fortunately, I prepared myself very well, especially on personality test. Make sure you prepare yourself well on your personality test, I see too many highly qualified candidates fail the process simply by failing the "supposedly" simple personality test. One excellent source I trained myself with is www.acejobtest.com, where I could train myself with real questions. I passed all the tests, then the face-to-face was kind of easy. I got the offer. Very cool!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2013.

The interview process started with a 30 minute phone interview with a Capital One recruiter and then a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. I was then asked to take an online assessment, which included behavioral/basic accounting/finance multiple choice questions. I received word that I passed the test and was invited to interview in Richmond, VA. My interview day consisted of two hour long behavioral interviews and four fit test interviews. I received an offer about a week later. The entire process took about six weeks from start to finish. Finally, my Capital One recruiter did an amazing job keeping me informed throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you used logic to solve a problem   View Answer

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I spoke with the recruiter and teh hiring manager then had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Their loss.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions that I could not answer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

very rigorous with multiple interviews and difficult analytically based case studies (X2)

Interview Questions
    • None - questions were behavioral in nature   View Answer
    Very easy and straight forward

Director Interview

Smart people, thorough process, friendly and organized HR people.

Interview Questions
    They showed flexibility and moved process quickly

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in June 2013.

Saw a posting on-line and applied via their site. Got called for a phone screen with the hiring manager, then took 2-hour on-line assessments (verbal, math and personality sections.) Then had an almost full day of interviews with 6 people (3 general job-fit, 2 behavioral and 1 casual lunch discussion) and then called back for a 2 hour second-interview with hiring manager and VP at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • Was surprised there were no case studies. Most difficult parts were when I would ask a question the role, it was sometimes turned back to me to give what I thought the answer would be.   View Answer
    Recruiter was very honest. Offer was very fair and what I expected based on my research (and was happy with so I didn't try to squeeze anything more.) They were also willing to negotiate vacation days.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2012.

Very rigorous interview process. Had to pass three online tests before they can talk to you. Had three phone interviews and then was invited to Richmond for 3 hour interview. Was told I was one of three candidates they were considering, all being interviewed that day. They did a great job on the visit, was well taken care of. Received call two days later that they decided not to hire any of the three candidates and were going to re-write the job posting. So much for their excellent on-boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions as they do a good job of letting you know what they will ask.   View Answer