Capital One Director Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014

3.7

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in August 2011.

A friend referred me for the Director IT - Richmond VA. I spoke to the recruiter, passed the numeric and verbal reasoning exams, spoke with the hiring manager, and had my power day this week. I had a 1 hour behavioral interview consisting of 3 "tell me about a time when" questions. I cant remember what they were, but you will need to think about times when you had to influence people, went against what you boss wanted, resolved conflict, had to decide which between two projects on the same timeline and budget and how to handle them. I did very well on this section, I know because my friend on the inside spoke with the guy that interviewed me. The next interview was for 30 minutes and it was with the former hiring manager, this went well, he also said that he would like to have me on his team. Next I had a break where I checked in on my current job. Next came the 1 hour case study. My case study consisted of this situation. Cap One sends out welcome packages when new customers sign up, currently they have 7-8k packages depending on a number of factors, credit rating, demographics, interest rate, ect. First question, "what is the problem with sending out this many packages". If you cant come up with reason for why this is a bad model then hang it up now and dont bother to apply. I reeled off so many the guy stopped me and said I had nailed it. Next he started talking about how they wanted to reduce the number of packages offered to between 5-10 instead of 7-10K. Question "what are the primary factors to determine in when you take on this task?" Again I reeled off a bunch of items until he stopped me and said I had plenty of reasons. All good so far. The next step is where the beginning of the end started. He gave me a sheet of paper with a list of tasks A through K I believe. Each of the tasks had the number of days it took to complete the task, and any predecessor task that must be completed. These tasks must be completed to send out the package information. He asked me to tell him how long it would take to send out a package. So I went through the tasks and came up with 30 days. I believe this was the correct answer from his feedback. Next he asked me to identify the steps in the critical path for delivery of the packages. I made one crucial mistake here. I said out loud "I need to create a picture here with a timeline for each task", but then decided to go through manually and try to determine the critical path items. Looking back I should have asked him to explain what he meant by critical path, every item has to be completed so you could make an argument they are all in the critical path. I "think" he was looking for items that elongated the process based on the next question. I know I got the critical path item wrong as I found out later on in the case. The next question he asked me is to identify the task that would shorten the time to deliver the packages if you could cut one of the items in half. Well one of the items takes 14 days and that is the obviously wrong choice "I said that out loud as well". Well once again I struggled on this, started cutting each one in half, and although I was talking out loud, I am not sure that it was good to do. I second guessed myself and probably looked like a monkey trying to make love to a football. In the end the guy doing the interview said, "can you find the critical path items if you draw a picture" and I did. I was then able to find the critical path items, and figure out the last task was the one that was the best to reduce the time to market. The shortest possible time was 26 days and you select the last task to cut in half. I burnt an entire hour this and am disgusted with my performance. They most likely had additional questions, but because I folded under pressure I did not make it to know. After I got some inside information there is no question I was more than qualified and several of the people said "he would have been great" and I am so disappointed he did not pass the case study. I have not yet received my rejection notification, but I am sure it is coming tomorrow. I find it silly that a case study that has nothing to do with the job I interviewed for will keep me from receiving on offer. I only posted this because I want to help someone else that interviews with Cap one, is very qualified, and does not have to deal with the overwhelming feeling of failure that I feel at the moment. The good news is that I still have a job that I am doing great at and a very nice suit to wear in the future. Good luck.

Interview Questions
  • Case study - read about every one you can. If you fail the case study the rest of the interview makes no difference at all   View Answers (4)

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in Oct 2013.

Interview Details – Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Fortunately, I prepared myself very well, especially on personality test. Make sure you prepare yourself well on your personality test, I see too many highly qualified candidates fail the process simply by failing the "supposedly" simple personality test. One excellent source I trained myself with is www.acejobtest.com, where I could train myself with real questions. I passed all the tests, then the face-to-face was kind of easy. I got the offer. Very cool!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

very rigorous with multiple interviews and difficult analytically based case studies (X2)

Interview Questions
    • None - questions were behavioral in nature   View Answer
    Very easy and straight forward

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Initial phone screening, online assessment, then on-site interviews. The company provides various online resources to assist both with the online assessment and the interview process. Interviews were behavioral (situation, action, result) and case interviews. Lots of "give me an example" type of questions.

Case interview was not rocket science, but does require some analysis (i.e., a test of the relevant business concepts rather than advanced math). The pre-interview advice that I received from a Cap One employee was to (i) keep it organized, (ii) talk out loud so the interviewer understands your thought process, (iii) ask questions (some information may not be initially provided), and (iv) more experienced candidates may have trouble "discarding reality".

Interview Questions
    • Cap One has a clearly defined process, which they tell you up front. If you do your homework, nothing should be a surprise.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in September 2012.

I was contacted by an HR representive. I interviewed with 2 HR people and took the online tests. I then had an interview with the hiring manager. Then i flew to Ricmond and was picked up in a limo and taken to my hotel. The next day I interviewed all day with behavioral and job fit and case studies. It was all about communication and relating to my experience. The case studt was hard but it was a matter of discussing with your facilitator. Overall a GREAT experience and a Great company to work for

Interview Questions
    • How I handled situations that were uncomfortable   View Answer
    They offered a great salary and relocation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2012.

Very rigorous interview process. Had to pass three online tests before they can talk to you. Had three phone interviews and then was invited to Richmond for 3 hour interview. Was told I was one of three candidates they were considering, all being interviewed that day. They did a great job on the visit, was well taken care of. Received call two days later that they decided not to hire any of the three candidates and were going to re-write the job posting. So much for their excellent on-boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions as they do a good job of letting you know what they will ask.   View Answer

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One in November 2012.

This was for a position in a newly created group. Several rounds of phone interviews and a gmat-like test online. On-site interviews were intense and consulting - like, but fair. All the people I met were very professional and knew their stuff. The overall process is very structured.

Though HR ruined the whole experience. Initially, the experience dealing with them was great. They were on top of their stuff, responding to every inquiry within the day and coordinating all the interviews/travel and answering all the questions in a timely manner.

The day after I finished the on-site interviews, the HR rep called me and said they were very happy with my candidacy and implied (in every possible way) an offer was in the works. They agreed to let me work from their office in my hometown (London, UK) for a while until I was ready to move my family to Richmond.

After a few weeks of back and forth with HR the communications went cold and HR wouldn't answer emails/calls. Finally, they got back to me several weeks after my last correspondence with them saying there were not interested to move forward. Very unprofessional, given the expectations and the verbal statements they had made.

Also, for a big company like CO, I was shocked how little knowledge they had about basic work visas and immigration matters. So I don't recommend applying if you need any immigration support, no matter how minimal it is.

Interview Questions
    • Business case, detailed questions/drilling about experience and function. Can't disclose details due to NDA.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Interview process consists of s phone screen from the recruiting department that will go over the basic questions of who are you, why are you looking, what is you experience. Next if you havent registered and applied online you will have to fill out a profile and submit to the req posted. Once you have submitted they will then send you skills tests and personality tests. The tests are different depending on what job or level you are applying for. Though no matter what position you need to dedicate the required time aside to be quite so you can focus. The test are made to be challenging. Ensure that prior to your test you have everything you need like extra paper, extra writing utensils, calculator, water... You get the point. All of my tests (4 tests) lasted an hour (they are all timed). Once it is completely the recruiter will the what for the third party vendor to report them the scores on if you passed or failed. If you passed it will be in three levels, low, moderate, and high. Depending on what level is required for the role will determine if you move forward. Once you pass the testing you will be presented to the hiring manager for a screen telephone interview. If that goes well they will either fly you out for a full day of interviews. Plan on 6 to 9 in one day consisting of individuals you will be partnering with.. The on site interviews will be a combination of job fit, behavioral, or case. The interview will come into the room with a packet telling them what questions need to be covered. Each interview lasts about 50 mins. They have a recruiting area where everyone comes there to interview so you don't move around a lot. Ensure you interview them as well. Make sure to ask and find out about the role the culture the talent so you will know if that is the environment for you. Once those interviews are completed you fly home. Then all the interviewers come together to meet to discuss their interviews with you and what next steps will be. Then they fly you back for another round usually to give you an offer. At this point it has been a long process and you should have a great idea about the company and the individuals you will be working with, expectations, overall culture and if this is the right fit. Good luck! Practice your case interview questions!!

Interview Questions
    • The time quant test. Need to use mathematical calculations along with logical rationalization. There is not enough time to complete.   View Answers (2)
    Vacation is non negotiable. You can negotiate salary but I wouldnt push it for a few thousand dollars. They have a great incentive plan and performance review. So work hard and get a great raise at performance review time. You can negotiate a signing bonus if the money is that critical to your families need. Just be honest upfront with your expectations and they will do their best to offer what they can to meet it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in January 2009.

Lengthy process. Numerous in-person interviews, along with standardized tests.

Interview Questions
    • Case study interview: suppose you managed Product X. . . .   Answer Question
    • Another case study interview: Suppose you managed Product Y . . .   Answer Question
    Not much opportunity to negotaite. Almost declined because felt offer was on low side.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

Contacted by phone by hiring manager for initial screening, then HR contacted for a full-on interview. Went to McLean for a day for a full day of interviews by peers and potential managers. Followed up rather quickly.
    For the most part, the interview consisted of a behaviourial assessment, skills assessment and some case-study work. Be sure to study up on math-based case studies - Capital One has a consulting mindset - they are looking for people who would be best at McKinsey, Bain, Booz or BCG.

Interview Questions
    • Define the breakeven point for a credit card rewards program   View Answer