Capital One Director Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

3.7

Director Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

After recruiter vetting I had a 30 minute job fit phone call with the hiring manager. I then had to take a few online tests before having f2f interviews. In one day I had 1 job fit, 2 behavioral and 1 case.

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you were asked to deliver results without getting additional resources.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was wiggle room in salary and sign on bonus, but no progress could be made around vacation time.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

Telephonic screen with recruiter followed by full day of interviews
    Telephonic screen was pretty straightforward - overview of background, summary of transferable skills, motivation for leaving, why CapOne...also answered questions on the opportunity
    Multiple in person interviews testing fit, problem solving (case interviews), and behavioral attributes

Interview Questions

• Typical Behavioral questions on past experience such as "tell me about a time when..."
      2 Case interviews - one on retail store profitability and another on new product introduction

Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

overall long process, multiple interviews. Everyone spoke with very enthusiastic about company. Highly encouraged applicant asking questions which was great. They look for you to interview them which was great. Everyone used behavioral, very standard questions.

Interview Questions

• use behavioral questions and standard questions for all applicants   Answer Question

Negotiation

not much flexibility basically a take it or leave it but did add on sign on bonus

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in July 2014.

Interview

I had an initial HR interview followed by math, verbal and personality tests. Once I passed those I moved to an onsite interview with the hiring manager and peers including a business case study. The next round was with the senior leadership team. I interviewed with a total of 11 people onsite during my 2 visits which was rather grueling. As many people have mentioned, the verbal and math tests were very difficult and I spent hours completing practice tests. I would not have passed without practicing.

The recruiter was very good and did an excellent job of explaining the process and the different people /roles as I moved through the process.

Interview Questions

• The case study required that I read the case study and ask questions to understand issues. Then I had to quickly prepare a short presentation and make the presentation to the hiring manager on how I would solve the issue.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but the offer was fair and they only added a week of vacation.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was exactly as described by Capital One and other reviews in Glassdoor. They first reached out after finding my information on Linkedin. A recruiter called me and touched on all the basics - here's a general idea of the position, a little back/forth on my background, what I did, etc. to assess a potential fit. That followed with a current salary question and then ended by saying they would follow up - check my email.

I then spoke for about 30 minutes with the hiring manager on the phone - no video call. This was what you would consider a typical phone interview. Hiring manager was positive on our call - so HR put me through a battery of tests which took about 4hrs on a Saturday morning for me to complete. There was an English and math "test" as well as a profile-type test. After completing those tests, I received a call stating I would be invited for an in-person interview.

I interviewed with 3 people for about 30-45 minutes each at Capital One. From the moment I stepped into the building, they are clearly set up to interview people. There was a separate interview section of the building complete with HR offices, break rooms, "greeter", etc. They did it right. Well done!

Interview Questions

• I did not find any questions too difficult or unexpected. They were all relatively spot-on and assessing my background, fit for the role, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in Oct 2013.

Interview Details – Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Fortunately, I prepared myself very well, especially on personality test. Make sure you prepare yourself well on your personality test, I see too many highly qualified candidates fail the process simply by failing the "supposedly" simple personality test. One excellent source I trained myself with is www.acejobtest.com, where I could train myself with real questions. I passed all the tests, then the face-to-face was kind of easy. I got the offer. Very cool!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process started with a 30 minute phone interview with a Capital One recruiter and then a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. I was then asked to take an online assessment, which included behavioral/basic accounting/finance multiple choice questions. I received word that I passed the test and was invited to interview in Richmond, VA. My interview day consisted of two hour long behavioral interviews and four fit test interviews. I received an offer about a week later. The entire process took about six weeks from start to finish. Finally, my Capital One recruiter did an amazing job keeping me informed throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you used logic to solve a problem   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Interview

Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I spoke with the recruiter and teh hiring manager then had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Their loss.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions that I could not answer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

very rigorous with multiple interviews and difficult analytically based case studies (X2)

Interview Questions

• None - questions were behavioral in nature   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very easy and straight forward

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Wilmington, DE) in June 2013.

Interview

Saw a posting on-line and applied via their site. Got called for a phone screen with the hiring manager, then took 2-hour on-line assessments (verbal, math and personality sections.) Then had an almost full day of interviews with 6 people (3 general job-fit, 2 behavioral and 1 casual lunch discussion) and then called back for a 2 hour second-interview with hiring manager and VP at the same time.

Interview Questions

• Was surprised there were no case studies. Most difficult parts were when I would ask a question the role, it was sometimes turned back to me to give what I thought the answer would be.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Recruiter was very honest. Offer was very fair and what I expected based on my research (and was happy with so I didn't try to squeeze anything more.) They were also willing to negotiate vacation days.