Capital One

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – The interview process was very detailed and extremely organized. I had one interview through campus recruiting and then was called for three more interviews at the Capital One campus in Richmond. The three interviews were very easy, the first being behavioral, second was a simple logic based question for the case interview, and third was an interview to see where I should be placed.

Interview Question – Which position would you most likely see yourself in   Answer Question

IT Development Program

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview Details – I went through their online process, application, questions etc, and was invited for an on campus interview

Interview Question – They asked fairly straightforward questions, certain algorithms in the technical aspect. For the behavioral PREPARE TO TALK. Do not ramble, but don't leave a whole lot of spare time (For example, they allowed me 40 minutes to talk about three behavioral questions, I only used 15)   View Answer

IT Development Program

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Got a phone call from a recruiter who asked me to apply online. I did and within a week they scheduled me for a behavioral interview on my college campus. Interview was very standard. They focus only on a few real behavioral questions and mostly background. The next day they told me I had moved on to the final round on their main campus.

The super day was pretty standard. 3 interviews. 45 minutes each. Behavioral was extremely straightforward. 3 'Tell me about a time' questions. Prior to the interviews I was under the impression the Job Fit was the easiest of them but I think they are changing their procedures. Job Fit was actually pretty technical. If you're applying to do software be ready for some data structure and general programming logic questions. For me, job fit was the most difficult. The Case interview was really straight forward. My case was not particularly difficult as far as math goes but if you rush through it you're bound to make a mistake. 45 minutes is a long time. My advice would be to go slow and make sure you're doing it correctly.

Heard back from them a few days later with an offer! They are really good about making the entire process quick.

Interview Question – How do you reverse a linked list?   View Answer

IT Development Program

Interview Details – Applied through Job fair on campus and got called in for a 1:1 interview, Pretty standard as far as behavioral interviews go. Got called back for second round of interview this time at their Richmond office, had 3 separate interviews, Behavioral, Job fit, and Case,

Interview Question – Coming into a new team how will you adjust yourself and get to work right away?   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through OCR. The first interview was all behavior questions. I thought I bombed because the interviewer looked really bored by my answer. But, at the end I asked a lot of good questions and noticed him writing them down.

Received a phone call the next day to come for big day in Richmond. They setup a pre-night interview where you talk with potential candidates and current associates.

The big day consisted of 3 interviews; fit, case, and behavioural interview. Just take the fit interview seriously because I didn't and that probably why I didn't get the offer.

The recruiter was very fast and let me know the outcome within one day

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to explain something technical to a non-technical person   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Interview Details – Capital One came to my school, received a 1:1 behavioral interview, invited to onsite interview in Richmond which consisted of 1 behavioral, 1 personality, and 1 case interview. The behavioral interviews were standard and easy. The personality interview was also easy, they essentially go over your resume and ask you about your interests. The case interview was a little tricky. The calculations are easy but even easy calculations are a little tricky under pressure so make sure you do a couple practice cases

Interview Questions

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the ITDP through my university's career site. I also applied on Capital One's site. The Capital One application consists of the standard personal info, job history, questionnaire, etc. The next step was a on-campus interview with a recruiter. All of the questions were behavioral, a little bit about yourself and your resume. After that they invited me to Richmond for an on-site interview. There were about 20 people participating in that. The night before the interview there was a reception in our hotel where we met current employees, asked questions, and they told us a little bit about working at Capital One. The next day we went to their campus. There was a tour of the facilities, we met some more people that work there, and then there were 3 1-on-1 interviews. One was behavioral, one was a job fit interview, and one was a case study. Don't be too concerned if you do not breeze through the case study, they're more interested in how you approach the problem and try to work it out. Just try to stay calm because the problem may not be that hard but the presence of the interviewer may add pressure.

Interview Question – 1 million card applications. $1 per application cost to do employment verification. 96% pass verification and get a card. 4% fail and do not get cards. Given average profits on cardholders in good standing, and average losses on accounts that default, find the % of denied cardholders that would have to default in order to justify the $1 per application verification cost .   View Answers (5)

Richmond, VA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Interview Details – After reviewing my application and resume, I was selected to take the online assessment tests, which I consisted of basic verbal and math reasoning. After passing these I had the first round interview on campus, which was 45 minutes and was behavioral (tell me about a time when...). Next I was selected for final interviews at their campus in Richmond. They reimbursed my travel to Richmond and had me come the night before to stay at the Hilton. That night a group of myself and other students had a reception dinner at the hotel with some recent hires into the program. It was very informal and was a great opportunity to ask questions. The next morning we went to the campus where we first had lunch with a few different employees and again had the opportunity to ask questions. Then we had 3 interviews- behavioral, case, and job fit. Job fit was very informal and more just to see where your interests lie to find the best position for you. Behavioral was essentially the same as the first round interview. Case interview was not too hard, involved solving a business problem using pretty basic math, which I messed up.Overall it was an awesome experience and the people/culture/benefits are great.

Interview Question – Find the average profit when certain factors change.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online through campus career services for IT development program. Was asked to take a personality test and a GMAT/SAT like reasoning test. There were 3 behavior based questions and I had to answer in STAR format and the interview lasted 45 mins.

Capital One is very big on their values: excellence and do the right thing. Under the values, they have attributes...
-Excellence: best people, strategically bold, intellectually rigorous, well-managed, and ownership.
- Do the right thing: open, teamwork, respect for each other, respect for our customer, and integrity.
-You'll hear this stuff over and over and over. They also hold their business practices to these values too which I didn't think was true, but it is. They even talk about "living the values". The people they hire are supposed to exhibit these values and attributes, so they really do look for people who they think will fit in with this culture. It's really important to them as is their history of innovation with credit cards.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked in a team?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when the project conditions changed and how did you manage it?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to make a quick decision and how did you go about it?   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Interview Details – I met with Capital One at my University's career fair. There I was referred to Capital One's online application. Within a few days I received an email requesting me to take an online assessment test. This test was a fairly basic personality test with some reading and math skills. I passed the test and got an interview held at my university. There I met with a Capital One employee whom works within a relative IT field at Capital One. The interview was a standard situation based interview. "Tell me a time where you did X....". I was contacted within 3 business days stating that I did not receive a second interview. I was disappointed but it happens. The second round interviews consist of more situation and from what I have learned a case or two where they assess how you solve problems.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you overcame a task you did not know how to do at first?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Capital One

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One IT Development Program interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees and interview candidates.