Capital One IT Development Program Interview Questions

2.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

The interview process was very detailed and extremely organized. I had one interview through campus recruiting and then was called for three more interviews at the Capital One campus in Richmond. The three interviews were very easy, the first being behavioral, second was a simple logic based question for the case interview, and third was an interview to see where I should be placed.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

IT Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

I went through their online process, application, questions etc, and was invited for an on campus interview

Interview Questions
    • They asked fairly straightforward questions, certain algorithms in the technical aspect. For the behavioral PREPARE TO TALK. Do not ramble, but don't leave a whole lot of spare time (For example, they allowed me 40 minutes to talk about three behavioral questions, I only used 15)   View Answer

IT Development Program Interview

Applied through Job fair on campus and got called in for a 1:1 interview, Pretty standard as far as behavioral interviews go. Got called back for second round of interview this time at their Richmond office, had 3 separate interviews, Behavioral, Job fit, and Case,

Interview Questions
    • Coming into a new team how will you adjust yourself and get to work right away?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

I applied through OCR. The first interview was all behavior questions. I thought I bombed because the interviewer looked really bored by my answer. But, at the end I asked a lot of good questions and noticed him writing them down.

Received a phone call the next day to come for big day in Richmond. They setup a pre-night interview where you talk with potential candidates and current associates.

The big day consisted of 3 interviews; fit, case, and behavioural interview. Just take the fit interview seriously because I didn't and that probably why I didn't get the offer.

The recruiter was very fast and let me know the outcome within one day

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to explain something technical to a non-technical person   Answer Question

IT Development Program Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

I got to the final round, which consists of a behavioral, case study, and job fit sections. I thought I did really well on the behavioral and job fit but average on the case study. The case study wasn't too difficult at all, I just kind of froze on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Think of ways to increase profit by decreasing credit limit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

After reviewing my application and resume, I was selected to take the online assessment tests, which I consisted of basic verbal and math reasoning. After passing these I had the first round interview on campus, which was 45 minutes and was behavioral (tell me about a time when...). Next I was selected for final interviews at their campus in Richmond. They reimbursed my travel to Richmond and had me come the night before to stay at the Hilton. That night a group of myself and other students had a reception dinner at the hotel with some recent hires into the program. It was very informal and was a great opportunity to ask questions. The next morning we went to the campus where we first had lunch with a few different employees and again had the opportunity to ask questions. Then we had 3 interviews- behavioral, case, and job fit. Job fit was very informal and more just to see where your interests lie to find the best position for you. Behavioral was essentially the same as the first round interview. Case interview was not too hard, involved solving a business problem using pretty basic math, which I messed up.Overall it was an awesome experience and the people/culture/benefits are great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Applied online through campus career services for IT development program. Was asked to take a personality test and a GMAT/SAT like reasoning test. There were 3 behavior based questions and I had to answer in STAR format and the interview lasted 45 mins.

Capital One is very big on their values: excellence and do the right thing. Under the values, they have attributes...
    -Excellence: best people, strategically bold, intellectually rigorous, well-managed, and ownership.
    - Do the right thing: open, teamwork, respect for each other, respect for our customer, and integrity.
    -You'll hear this stuff over and over and over. They also hold their business practices to these values too which I didn't think was true, but it is. They even talk about "living the values". The people they hire are supposed to exhibit these values and attributes, so they really do look for people who they think will fit in with this culture. It's really important to them as is their history of innovation with credit cards.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a team?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when the project conditions changed and how did you manage it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a quick decision and how did you go about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in November 2011.

First interview was a behavioral interview that I did fine on. I was fairly confident in my answers and myself. I prepared by using the "star method" and I'd suggest others do the same. I was pretty much prepared to answer every question they asked me without having to pause to think too much.

I made it to the final round interview a couple weeks later in Richmond. I drove there (they will reimburse your gas mileage ~$.55/mile and $75 in meals I believe) and they put me up in a ridiculous hotel. You get to go out with other interviewees and current employees the night before the interview and ask all the questions you can think of to help prepare yourself. They'll pretty much tell you that you're not really competing with anyone but it's really your job to lose.

The final round interview consisted of another more brief behavioral interview, case interview, and job fit interview. I dropped the ball on the case interview I'm pretty sure. It wasn't necessarily difficult, mostly algebra. They want you to talk and communicate through it which I did. I just had a brain fart trying to solve a multi-variable equation (substitution! substitution! substitution!).

Overall, the experience was good. The culture is young and you can tell that everyone really enjoys their job. The campus is wonderful and it looks like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Find the average call length (based off a daily chart of calls with daily call averages).   Answer Question
    • (Given a model and avg call length times) How many calls were transferred?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Capital One came to my school, received a 1:1 behavioral interview, invited to onsite interview in Richmond which consisted of 1 behavioral, 1 personality, and 1 case interview. The behavioral interviews were standard and easy. The personality interview was also easy, they essentially go over your resume and ask you about your interests. The case interview was a little tricky. The calculations are easy but even easy calculations are a little tricky under pressure so make sure you do a couple practice cases

IT Development Program Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Got a phone call from a recruiter who asked me to apply online. I did and within a week they scheduled me for a behavioral interview on my college campus. Interview was very standard. They focus only on a few real behavioral questions and mostly background. The next day they told me I had moved on to the final round on their main campus.

The super day was pretty standard. 3 interviews. 45 minutes each. Behavioral was extremely straightforward. 3 'Tell me about a time' questions. Prior to the interviews I was under the impression the Job Fit was the easiest of them but I think they are changing their procedures. Job Fit was actually pretty technical. If you're applying to do software be ready for some data structure and general programming logic questions. For me, job fit was the most difficult. The Case interview was really straight forward. My case was not particularly difficult as far as math goes but if you rush through it you're bound to make a mistake. 45 minutes is a long time. My advice would be to go slow and make sure you're doing it correctly.

Heard back from them a few days later with an offer! They are really good about making the entire process quick.

Interview Questions

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!