Capital One Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015
1,800 Interview Reviews

3.1

Director Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

After recruiter vetting I had a 30 minute job fit phone call with the hiring manager. I then had to take a few online tests before having f2f interviews. In one day I had 1 job fit, 2 behavioral and 1 case.

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you were asked to deliver results without getting additional resources.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was wiggle room in salary and sign on bonus, but no progress could be made around vacation time.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. She was absolutely the best part of the process. The interview consists of four parts: a hacker rank challenge, a phone screen with a current data scientist, a data set challenge, and an on-site interview. If you feel nervous about the hacker rank challenge, you can practice on other areas of the site. The test involves dynamic programming, natural language processing, some combinatorics and a simple regression problem. I found some of the wording confusing but comparing your answers to the test cases is helpful. You won't get to see all the test cases. The recruiter contacted me within an hour of submitting the test to let me know I passed to the next round. The phone screen was scheduled very quickly for a conference call. The interviewer never showed up to the conference call though. I let the recruiter know after waiting on hold for 15 minutes and she quickly resolved the problem. The nice thing about their phone interview is that there are no trick questions (think: how many ping pong balls fit in a 747?). Most of the questions are open-ended: if you were given this data set, what do you think the possible problems are? How confident would you be in your answers? There is one map-reduce question if you have experience with that. There will also be some behavioral questions (use the STAR technique to answer). The recruiter contacted me later in the day to let me know I had a very positive response from the interviewer. The on-site interviews are set on a fixed schedule (Fridays every two weeks). She gave me the option of taking the data test right away or waiting a week because I had some scheduling conflicts. I was told that there were still a few slots available to interview and that if I finished within a few days I might be able to get one. The data set challenge is one basic machine learning question on an anonymous data set and then a descriptive analysis plus an open-ended question about baby names. They say it's designed to take about 4 hours but that you can take as much time as you feel you need. You're supposed to wait 2 to 3 business days to hear back. The recruiter contacted me at the end of 2 business days. She had been delaying e-mailing me because she thought she would have had news earlier. She said she would get back to me at the latest the next morning. A day passed and I didn't hear anything. Then I got the bad news that I didn't get the interview. The biggest highlight of the whole process was the recruiter. She's really fantastic at her job.

Interview Questions

• If you're trying to predict the gender of your customers and you only have 100 data points, what are possible problems?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview process is fair and easy if you are prepared, a SOAR questions is always on the list of questions asked during the interview, they also do video conference interviews for remote applicants

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Phone Screen with HR (describe current position and how it relates to job at Capital One), interests, etc. If you pass then they set you up at one of their offices for "Super Day" where you will have 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview. After you finish those in the morning, you will have lunch with some associates and take a tour. Should they need more info, you may be asked to stay for another case study, otherwise you leave that day. Not sure why I didn't get the job since I know for a fact I did well on all aspects of the interview process...probably because either A) they need to interview a certain amount of people for Equal Opportunity reasons B) they prefer Ivy League people so they can compare to Goldman/JP Morgan

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral "Tell me a time" questions and go into more detail as you discuss your experience Case interviews are pretty easy, just math related revenue, cost, profit, break even questions (not strategy focused)   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Phone screen, two case and several behavioral questions on "super day". ALL candidates are recent college grads or those out of work who will take just about any job. The place is an interview mill and churns through college grads like a meat grinder. Didn't get the job after I was told I did well on ALL cases and behaviorals and was also told my 6+ years of experience was "exactly what they were looking for". Whole process is a scam...throw as much stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The first interview is a phone screening interview from the recruiter. The recruiter will just ask some general questions about your experience and give 5 simple math questions. After a couple of days I heard back from the recruiter and scheduled an on-site interview. The on-site interview have two case interview and two behavioral interview in the morning. I was given one more case interview in the afternoon.

Interview Questions

• Discuss the profit driver for an ATM located at Capital One branch and public place.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA).

Interview

Three phone interviews followed by one full day onsite interview. Very engaging and well prepared panel. Had a design challenge followed by two business case interviews, one behavioral and three job fit interviews. The panel seemed quite informal and did not intimidate and made it seem like a discussion. Overall a great process Did not get any feedback or email around not getting the job. Which is quite frustrating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to influence someone or a influence a group.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

phone interview, in person interview that asked about your job history and then they process was behavior style questions. After the interview got a call from the recruiter a couple days later and accepted the position.

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

standard screening call with some behavioral questions. Next took a math and reading comprehension test and behavior test online. Pretty easy. Followed by in-person interview at the company. Interviewed with four different people, one was remote and did the interview over the phone. Mostly behavioral questions. Called me two days later to say the other person that interviewed that day was a better fit. process lasted two weeks

Work-at-home Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Tampa, FL).

Interview

I was emailed a few days after I applied inviting me to the interview. Interview was virtual and answers were recorded. Interview process was impersonal but efficient. I did not receive an offer nor an explanation as to why. I was emailed a few days after I applied inviting me to the interview. Interview was virtual and answers were recorded. Interview process was impersonal but efficient. I did not receive an offer nor an explanation as to why.