Capital One Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
1,290 Interview Reviews

3.2

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied through school. 1st round 30 min case on campus. First round was pretty straightforward with profit=revenue - loss and breakeven calculations. 2nd round in either of their Virginia offices. 1 behavioral and 2 cases, 45 min each. My second case was much harder than the first. It was somewhat hard to relate to the interviewers because they were significantly older and didn't seem very interested or invested in you as a candidate. No offer but it was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a challenge and what you learned. They a lot of follow up questions for each situation.   View Answers (5)

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied and interviewed through campus hire program in Spring 2014. Process took about 3 week. They had plenty of on campus info sessions and interview preparation. I had one interview on campus and an invite for a final round of interviews on site in Richmond. Interviewers were friendly but focused on the task at hand: judging your analytic ability. This is the main focus of the case interviews, to see if you can draw conclusions and think of different approaches by yourself. They will help you get back on track if you get lost, but doing this too often probably isn't good. They provide a calculator, but the numbers are easy so you can get extra points for not using it.

Interview Questions
    • My cases were more analytic in nature than cases I studied. Many times you will be asked to make a graph or a function. The cases will have clear conclusions, so you will know if you finished the case in the allotted time or not. I prepared a lot and I was fine, but I can see cases being hard if you aren't prepared.   Answer Question
    New grads don't have much room to negotiate. But don't really need to, good pay and benefits.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

I applied through the campus recruiting at my website. The interviewer hands you a case and you have thirty minutes where you run through the case, which typically tests you on your analytical and communication skills. I stumbled a little bit so I asked a couple of clarifying questions and they were very nice in helping guide me through the process.

Interview Questions
    • The calculations that you had to do for the case were far more difficult than the practice examples that they give you. It definitely was a lot more analytical than I had predicted.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Was selected through on-campus recruiting. Went through first round interview which was a case study. Then was flown to Dallas to go through final rounds which consisted of two cases and a behavioral interview. Overall was a very easy process as Capital One really wants to take care of its interns and treat you well.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview was about a Uber-like taxi service. Was required to find out factors that affect profit and do some simple calculations to determine if that was true. Once I found a result I was then required to come up with a recommendation.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Interviews are all cased based--usually around profitability and breaking-even. Understand profitability frameworks before going in and practice with case-prep books. Slightly different from consulting case interviews but similar enough.

Interview Questions
    • Case was based on Uber and how to increase profitability during non-peak hours   Answer Question

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

On Campus Rrecruiting, met with business analysts at career fair and attended the hr information session. at the info session, we did a practice case (which is only required if you make it to second round)
    applied - dropped resume on career site- no cover letter required
    on campus interview, second round would be on site

everyone was super nice and excited about capital one

Relationship Banker I Interview

Brief phone interview with recruiter included basic questions then followed by interview with 2 branch managers that included a lot of behavioral questions about sales ,customer service and working within a team.

Finance Rotation Associate Interview

Meet recruiter on campus and applied after. Got a first round interview that consisted of a case study. Very simple break even analysis and understand cause and effect. I have been invited to now travel to Richmond for a 2nd round of interviews and will edit this post after I complete that round

Interview Questions
    • Just know what makes up profit, how fix and variable costs interact with each other, and how to find the break even point   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

The process of scheduling the interview was the most disorganized I've experienced and the interviewer was quite condescending during the case interview. The interviewer seemed reluctant to answer any questions about the case, the company, and the job. Overall, the process felt cold, impersonal, and one-sided.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were related to the case. There were no behavioral questions or questions about my skills/experience.   Answer Question

Human Resources Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

A basic behavioral interview including questions regarding my internships and activities on my resume. Asked me why Capital One? and then ended with a time for me to ask questions regarding the company.