Capital One

3.2

Technology Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

I was invited out to Richmond for the big super day. My interview process started at 11:30 and the first thing we did was go out to lunch with current employees that were close to our age. After that the interviews started.
    1)Case Interview
    As a computer science major I thought this was going to be the toughest part of the interview, but my case turned out to be surprisingly easy. There are no higher level math skills involved, it's basic algebra concepts. The best advice I have for you is to communicate. The interviewer will point you in the right direction if they know your thought process. Along with creating one variable equations, they had me read a graph.
    2)Behavioral Interview
    I had 3 question and they were all very common behavioral question. I finished my answers pretty early and was left with 15 min to just talk to the interviewer.
    3)Job Fit Interview
    This was the most difficult part of the interview for me. I honestly didn't expect it to be so technical. This interview is split into 2 parts: Technical questions and job fit questions.
    I was asked 3 technical questions. The first one was to test if you knew basic computer science concepts. The other was a coding question on linked lists and the final question, which I had the most difficulty with asked me to design and sudo code a system.
    For the actual job fit questions, they just ask you what you're interested in and why do you want to join their program.

Even though I wasn't accepted I thought this was one of the best interview experiences I've had so far. Capital One really tries to make their Interviewees feel welcome. The only thing that I thought was strange was that after my interview I was talking to someone who was applying for a full time position and we both had the exact same technical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • 1)What's the difference between method overloading and method overriding?
      2)Write a program to find the K-th to the end node in a linked list.
      3)You are in charge of creating a car dealership website, what data structures would you use to design a search engine and how would you implement them?

Answer Question

Commercial Banking Development Program Interview

Applied and was called to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was quite brief, behavioral based. Invited to an on-site interview consisting of 4 interviews. First two were behavioral questions. Third interview was more of a "job fit" interview, looking to see if you have had past experience in financial analysis, etc. Fourth interview was a type of case study question. I was given a set of financial statements and some relevant ratios over three years, and then asked questions about the company, such as identifying trends and explaining changes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to implement a creative solution to a potential problem   View Answer

Manager Data Science Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I will not be giving out any specific questions.Like all other companies the hiring process starts with a call from the HR.
    I was scheduled then for a phone interview a week out. Since I was applying for a data science/machine learning role I was asked questions on probability. Keep a calculator by your side since they expect you to give the final answer not just the formula. The question was not very hard but solving math problems over the phone is never easy. My suggestion would be to practice a few probability questions and revise basic probability theory (Khan Academy helped me a lot).
    The second phone interview happened in another 2 weeks. This was a basic computer science interview. Some questions about linux (basic stuff like grep, ls etc). If you have worked with linux for a while this should be easy. He then moved on to a basic mapreduce question. It was a very simple question and a basic knowledge about mapreduce will do it.
    The third round is a coding challenge. They gave me with a small data set and I had to answer a few questions on that data set. Having a background in mysql will be helpful since a lot of the questions can be answered by doing simple sql queries. They generally give you a weekend to solve the coding challenge.
    Once that was done I was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite interview had a behavioral section, case study and general machine learning.

Behavioral Section (2 interviews) is questions like Tell me a time when .... Capital One gave some example questions. You can find a lot of them on the internet and on Capital One's website. Having a few answers/incidents in mind is helpful. Try not to make up stuff.

Case Study (2 interviews). These are also available on Capital One's website. It's doing some amount of simple math (mostly algebra). They did ask me to draw a bunch of graphs for break even analysis. If you are decent at math, this is not very hard, so just keep your cool. The first case study was very easy, the second one was a little bit more challenging but not difficult. Essentially if you were having this conversation in a bar and not in an interview setting it would not be a problem at all. So just remain calm and work through the problem and ask a lot of questions. Make sure you have all the data before you proceed with the solution. Verify each step of your solution with the interviewer. Make sure you check your arithmetic.

Machine Learning (1-2 interviews). Basic stuff about NN, Regression and Decision Trees. I have been doing machine learning for a while so this interview was the easiest. If you relatively new to machine learning I would suggest going through Andrew Ng's course on coursera. There are also many machine learning classes on youtube. The one that I prefer the most is by Prof. Abu Mustafa from caltech.

The interviewers are very nice and friendly. They are there to help you and the overall experience was great. They also take you out for lunch. Thats a good time to relax and ask some informal questions. They also give 10-15 breaks between some interviews. It will be a long day (mine was from 8am-4:30pm) so be mentally prepared. I watched soccer videos in the 15 minute break that helped me relax a lot. At the end of the day I think if you keep calm you will get through the interview. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know" to questions that you don't have a clue about. The interviewers do not expect you to know everything. It's a much better idea to admit that you don't know rather than saying something stupid. I said "I don't know" to a few questions and that worked in my favor as the interviewer thought I was a humble person.

Good Luck

Interview Questions
    • For me it was behavioral. I did not prepare for that as well I should have.   Answer Question

I had better offers from other companies.

Manager, Operations Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

Process took about two months, some of which was due to delays caused by my current responsibilities. I was an employee referral coming from a different industry. My recruiter was great - responsive, candid, and helpful.

Steps included:
    -Phone conversation with recruiter (basic stuff about what you do and why you're interested in the company)
    -Phone case interview (quantitative problem solving pertaining to business operations), after which I heard they wanted to invite me down to Richmond for interviews. Time to hear back was about 1.5 business days, via email.
    -An interview day with two in-person behavioral interviews ("tell me about a time when..." questions, which matched pretty well with the examples they give out to help you prepare) and three in-person case interviews (two before lunch and one after lunch, though not everyone interviewing was called back for that one). All interviewers were pleasant and professional - I actually had some pretty interesting conversations about the company culture with them once the cases or background questions were done. Lunch included a tour and was very relaxed. After this, it took about 3 business days to get a call letting me know they wanted to move forward.
    -Phone call with a hiring manager to learn more about the position, and the next day I had a verbal offer.

Behavioral interviews were nothing unusual - prepare good responses to standard questions and you'll do fine, especially if you've had management experience.

Case interviews shouldn't be that bad if you have a quantitative background. Algebra, weighted averages, graphing, percentages, break-even analyses. GMAT-type word problems, basically. The preparation advice they provided was right on target. No industry knowledge is required, but brushing up on the basics re: revenues and costs for credit cards would be a very good idea. Some basic awareness of how the economy is going is helpful (naturally).

Interview Questions
    • Example case interview conversation: "Here's a product - how profitable is this? How do you feel about that? Graph x vs. y - now what does that tell you? What could we do to mitigate that risk?"   View Answer
    Package was fair and was in line with what I had discussed with the recruiter during the very first phone call.

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

I recently finished spending a couple weeks doing the interview dance for a mobile application developer position at Capital One’s flagship “Cafe” office in downtown San Francisco and figured it would be good to recap my experiences for the next guy who comes down the interview pipeline.

In addition to just being another “big bank” (or big bank wanna-be), one of C1’s initiatives is to try to come up with products & services that drive customer “engagement” (that is to say, active usage and churning within the customer’s various Capital One accounts). There are two mobile apps actively in development, apparently related to “shopping” and “travel” (the first one has been in development for at least two years and the second is a much newer product; neither of these apps is on the app store and I wasn’t given the opportunity to see a demo of these apps). There’s also some third consumer-facing mobile app on a white board somewhere. So this is why Capital One is actively trying to land mobile developers.

In the San Francisco office there’s at least two or three product managers plus a PM boss, and at least two or three mobile developers per platform and an engineering boss.

I didn’t get a close look at the office environment, but the office area (which takes up the the third and fourth floors of the building) is not nearly as big as the much more impressive ground and 2nd floors that the general public is welcome to visit. The interview room was very small, with a modern looking steel barn door and walls that doubled as white boards. There’s a fully stocked fridge next to the interview room and bottled water and soft drinks in the fridge.

The interview process started with phone conversations with two PM’s, who were exceedingly friendly. I also got to speak with the engineering boss on the phone who certainly seemed nice enough. After three or four phone interviews I was invited in to do half hour interviews with three different people: one of the PM’s I had talked to on the phone, the PM boss (who kept a strange poker-player unreadable face the entire time I spoke with him and seemed impossible to get a sense of whether or not he was skeptical of me or if he was just being awkwardly friendly). The last guy was a developer and it’s there I ran into trouble.

So about the two mobile developers I spoke with, I wasn’t very impressed with these potential direct co-engineers. The first one I spoke with (on the phone) asked me a number of technical questions that I felt good about the answers, but as a homework assignment he gave me two different programming problems to solve — including one full blown compiling and functional mobile app — **within 30 minutes** in total for both together. I’m a little bit more experienced than the average candidate so I did deliver both solutions within that 30 minute deadline (with a couple algorithm adjustments that I sent in a follow up e-mail a few minutes after the deadline had passed). I’ve done plenty of small programming projects and homework assignments for job interviews before, but this was the first time I’ve been told to code up multiple answers with such a short deadline, and I think this would be a somewhat stressful challenge for the average developer. Here are the two problems he had me code up: 1) write up an algorithm that reverses a linked list (this is a standard algorithm question any engineer of any experience level should expect) and 2) write an app that displays one of multiple pictures and add swipe gestures to the picture, swapping pictures when one is swiped off screen.

During the in-person interview visit, I got to speak with the second mobile developer. He blasted me with a few deep programming language questions and to my dismay, didn’t seem particularly pleased with any answers I was giving back to him. He had me design out a 2-3 screen shopping app, describing the architecture and the classes I’d use to assemble the thing, and this is where I pulled out the marker to do some drawing on the white board. He still didn’t seem impressed with my descriptions of things (and it may have been that he wasn’t explaining his question well — or more likely — what he was really looking for in the answers he wanted to hear from me). In retrospect I walked out of there thinking he may have been purposely trying to agitate me to see how I’d work well under pressure, and so if I had to guess why I flunked the interview process, this guy (who was not an employee but instead a contractor) would be the veto on me going forward. Definitely not a friendly or welcoming culture fit.

But hopefully my experience flunking the Capital One interview will help you to prepare to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in my interview review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions
    • What are Objective-C class extensions?   View Answer

Human Resource Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview process was heavily focused on networking events at your respective schools. Talk to people in the program, ask questions about the interview process, and make sure to get your name out there. Prepare all sorts of "tell me about a time" questions. Very quick turnaround in terms of hearing back between the rounds and actually getting you onsite. There was a bit of an "exclusive" vibe and even badmouthing other HR rotational programs at an information session event, which was unfortunate.

Interview Questions
    • Have a clear idea of why you want the job and be ready to defend a background that doesn't necessarily jive with the banks/HR.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Received an email to apply to their summer program after attending a business conference in NYC. Case interview over the phone seemed pretty straightforward, but they wanted a "stronger performance."

BA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

2 cases and 1 behavior. There was a bank related case and regular case that was similar to the online resources provided by Capital One. Do a lot of practice. The behavior questions were not unexpected. Just be prepare examples of your activities that you can discuss in the depth.

Business Analyst Interview

The initial communication process for the interview was excellent. But the interview itself was not the same for each candidate. The case interviews varied for each candidate and some seemed more complicated than others.

Interview Questions
    • Work through a case involving credit cards. Make sure to study this if you get the interview.   Answer Question

Relationship Banker Interview

3 interviews one with recruiter and two with district hiring manger and branch manager. all were done within the same week. fast process. had job offer and started job within about two weeks

Aim high