Capital One Interview Questions

3.2

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Applied on their website, phone screened by recruiter with 5 easy math questions.

Then was invited for an on-site interview with 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews.

Behavioral questions are(they are allowed to be taken out, and I had them written down on paper, so these questions are exact):
    tell me a time when
    1. you called on an expert for their expertise
    2. successfully avoided an obstacle to deliver a project on time
    3. learnt something new to accomplish a project
    4. had to turn a general goal to a realistic plan
    5. responsible for implementing a new project/process. better use an example that involved someone else
    6. had to take significant risk to sell an idea when others did not see the potential of the idea

Case questions are(the notes are not allowed to be taken out, but ok if by memory):
    1. Capital One is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

2. You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?

Then when they decided to give you an offer, you'll be arranged to be called by the director of the department you'll be assigned to.

Very much thank to the 998 Glassdoor interview reviews when I was preparing the interview. I've read 600+ of them, all about Analysts and even some of Tellers and Managers, Directors interviews. Get yourself familiar with the cases here, none of actual cases will be from what you read but they all give you a sense of what it would be like so that you won't panic, that you won't fail on junior high school maths and basic economic logic. Prepare behavior questions accordingly and actual questions will be very similar. And even if they are quite different, be flexible and use your examples accordingly, emphasize the characters asked in the actual question, NOT WHAT YOU PREPARED.

I read 600+ of the 1000 reviews here and I rated the interview to be easy. If you believe me and thought the interview will be easy, HAVE YOU DONE WHAT I'VE DONE?

Good luck! See you in Capital One!

Interview Questions
    • Prepare 6-7 situations for behavioral questions and be flexible if they questions is not asked in the way as you are prepared. Try to find the character they asked from your prepared examples. Cases are easy, if you make mistake and feel your answer is awkward, ask for help and modify your calc. I did make a mistake. It was a typo carried to next step's calc. And I found out and asked for help, and found out what's wrong with the formula I wrote.   View Answers (2)
    I did try to negotiate but frankly speaking, the salary is fair for the location I am placed. I had orally accepted the offer and is in process of signing and background check. If you want a life-time company, and/or a graduate company, here it goes.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

High expectations of Capital One, very disappointing experience. I have heard great things about Capital One and how they pride themselves on having an great interview process and great customer service - my experience took 2 months.

Here are my interview steps:
    - Initial online assessment: Received email from recruiter to take the assessment. Completed and sent to next step. (No response from recruiter after a week - I followed up to see if I was selected for the next step)
    - Phone screen: Received a call from an HR rep for basic phone screen. Completed and sent to next step. (No response from the recruiter after a week- I followed up to see if I was selected for the next step)
    - Phone interview #1: Received a call from one of the reporting managers to determine if I would be a job fit. Completed and sent to next step. (No response from the recruiter after two weeks - I followed up to get feedback and status)
    - Phone interview #2: Received a call from the hiring director. Completed and next step would be on-site interview. (Again, I had to initiate the communication with the recruiter to find out if I was selected for the on-site interview)

Finally, I contacted the recruiter to find out if there was any feedback from the hiring manager. I was told that I was selected for the on-site interview and would be contacted with details. A week later, I was contacted by a coordinator to set up the on-site interview. The recruiter call me after 8pm to apologize for how long the coordinator took to contact me.

The on-site interview was 4 hours and with 4 different people - it consists of: 1 - behavioral, 1- case, 1- job fit, and 1-behavioral. I had interviewed with two of the people I would meet with over the phone (four weeks prior), . A week went by after the on-site interview, I sent thank you notes to all 4 people and emailed the recruiter a 'Thank You' email.

I received a COMPUTER-generated response that I was not selected for the two positions - sorry but that is bad customer service. After a two month initiating communication with this recruiter, the recruiter calling me after 8pm, and the numerous steps- the least the recruiter could have done was respond to my "Thank You" email with some feedback and that I wasn't selected. I am not disappointed that I wasn't selected. I am mostly disappointed in the long process it takes to determine someone is not a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interview is different than most interviews because you are expected to answer with very specific examples but once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier to answer.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Capital One in September 2014.

I was interviewing for data scientist position at capital one labs (they started this project a couple years ago, based in NY, DC, SF). Initial chat with recruiter followed by a small online test (easy), a data mining coding challenge on a larger dataset (harder), 3 technical screen, 2 behavior, 2 job fit, 2 case interviews.

A couple of the interviewers told me they were still exploring the interview process for labs so... it seemed to me they currently threw a bunch of technical interview process on top of what they do with the business analysts. Recruiter is very nice and have good tech background.

The Richmond campus is very nice; new HQ at Tysons Corner looks impressive; lab try to imitate the startup environment, on the more relaxed side. (I went on-site to Richmond campus and DC lab, stayed one night at a hotel by the HQ).

Interview Questions
    • My favorite part is the coding challenge -- the right amount of richness in data & a peek at their credit card business... The process itself is grueling, way too long! They really should consider introducing some team-based match into the process.   Answer Question

Fraud Intake Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

I applied online through their website. I was referred by a friend. I got a call from HR the next day and set up an initial phone interview. It was very brief and included questions such as: Why Capital One and why this position? A behavior question (Describe a time at work where you encountered a strange/unexpected situation and how you reacted) was also asked. Information about salary and your schedule was also given by the HR manager. I setup the time for the behavioral interview with the Department Lead as well.

For the second (1 on 1 with Dept Lead) interview, I was asked a couple behavioral questions. Before that, the lead talked about the position, what it entails, and what they are looking for. As for the questions, they were simple behavioral questions such as most difficult customer, unexpected situation with a customer, a time you had to do multiple things at once. At the end, you can also ask the Dept. Lead a question.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. Standard behavioral interview questions (see above).   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in July 2014.

After applying online I did the online assessment test. I was called the next day for a phone interview. During the phone interview I was told that I would be referred for a face to face interview. I went in 3 days later and had two 30 minute interviews. They asked behavioral questions... Name a time when.... The questions were not too difficult. I was called back for a third Job fit interview the next day. I went in for the job fit interview and was asked two questions and went over training and schedule details. I was told I would be called by the end of the week. I received an email the next day stating they went with another candidate. On the third interview I could not think of an answer to the question "what would you least like about working here". I believe that is the reason I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What would you least like about working here. Name a time where you committed to something but was unable to follow through with it.   Answer Question

Frp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

On campus interview. Power day interview with simple cases, if you understand basic accounting principles and the time value of money. Behavioural interviews are standard nothing a typical career guide won't prepare you for. Great hospitality, friendly environment.

Digital Learning Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Recruiter called a week after online application. I was told I needed to take their online assessment before getting a behavior phone screen with the hiring manager. If that went well I would be invited for in-person interviews. None of that happened since I didn't even get past the assessment stage.

Customer Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Capital One in October 2013.

Applied online at website, received a call a few days later for initial interview. Just asking about what I knew about the company. Phone interview two days later - the steps to ace the interview were given. Just be as descriptive as you can and follow the steps. There was also a skills test about customer service during the application process

No negotiation w/ salary

Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

The hiring process was simple and the interview was inspiring. The expectation was set that I'd be there for at least 3 hrs. I decided to show up 30 min early and waiting those 30 minutes. I met with 4 separate individuals: 1 Job Fit Interview; 2 Behavioral Interviews and 1 Sales Pitch.

After the interview I was more motivated to join the team.

Interview Questions
    • If you could hate one thing about the job, what would it be?   Answer Question
    None needed

Product Management Interview

The first step is a standard phone screen with a recruiter. If you advance to the next stage, there is a day-long series of interviews including an in-person behavioral interview (e.g. tell me about a time when... etc.) and in-person case interview (calculating the break-even point for a new product introduction)

Interview Questions

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!