Capital One Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015
1,694 Interview Reviews

3.2

Director Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

After recruiter vetting I had a 30 minute job fit phone call with the hiring manager. I then had to take a few online tests before having f2f interviews. In one day I had 1 job fit, 2 behavioral and 1 case.

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you were asked to deliver results without getting additional resources.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was wiggle room in salary and sign on bonus, but no progress could be made around vacation time.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Went to a hiring event and filled out application. No interview at all. Was contacted two weeks later and told I got the job and was sent a on boarding package, but didn't start job until a month later.

Technical Product Owner Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Very casual. Phone screening, brief in-person manager discussion, and a half hour with each of a few team members. Generally, nothing remarkable. Seemed to be in a rush to get people in the door.

Business Director Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Lengthy quantities and impressive - data driven and fair assessment process case study is hard use practice links and take time getting familiar with resources HR provides before the interview

IT Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in June 2015.

Interview

Plan on spending an entire day in an interview. I actually almost walked out - not because of difficulty but because I could tell they focus entirely too much on unimportant questions. If my boss asked me in the real world to generate a business case and said I could use only a pencil, paper, and a solar calculator I would laugh at him or her but this is apparently something that Capital One puts a lot of stock in. The persons that conducted the interview were either a.) not interested in actually being there or b.) were the type of people that no one would want to work alongside. In fact the people I interviewed with who were going to be colleagues of mine were such a turnoff that I almost left the interview midway through the process. The behavioral questions were fine and for the most part showcased that the company wanted to truly adopt the sort of startup-like technology culture that I was seeking, but the devil is in the details. Capital One - you guys are a bank, not a Google, and really even Google knows that asking banal questions that are meant to trip you up (err I mean discover your analytical skills - yeah that's it!) is stupid and doesn't help qualify a person.

Net-net I was offered a rather lucrative offer but I turned it down because I don't believe that CapOne is remotely close to the environment that it seems to think it offers. Their location in Tysons, while seemingly convenient is a nightmare to commute to. Their leadership in IT seems to be at once full of itself and also severely lacking in actual technical skill - a lethal combo. Couple that with the fact that the people interviewing me didn't even know what job I was actually interviewing for. In terms of the recruiting process, I had to be the one constantly keeping tabs on the recruiter, which is strange. Knowing others that have gone through this process, they reiterated the same thing to me.

Capital One folks - if you're reading this, drop the case interviews, they're unnecessary and you're probably weeding out the exact people you claim to covet. Also if you really are going to hire "over a 1000 people this year", you should probably work on the whole recruitment process - taking weeks upon weeks to set up followup interviews is NOT what technology companies do - it's what slow moving BANKS do. Fix that.

Oh and you'll be subjected to timed quizzes online to access your analytical, mathematical, and logical skills - because of course you have time to set aside to do that. Ironically for a company that tells you how inventive and innovative they are aspiring to be, there was not ONE single time where I was asked to showcase any sort of innovative talents at all, though once I met my potential colleagues it was apparent why.

Interview Questions

• Some business case question that they arm you with pencil and paper.   Answer Question

Senior Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

They have the entire process down to a T, starting with the initial recruiter call to the online screening test (like a lighter version of the GRE/GMAT) to the actual scheduling.

On the day of the face-to-face, a bunch of us found ourselves in a coffee/break room at 8am, and then each of us were called to meet with the people that would be interviewing us. They were professional, very good and nice people.

I mangled my answers and didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• If high-risk credit card consumers were to default, what's your exposure? (The answer they are expecting is that they are going to max the cards out and then default)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was entirely too long and a total waste of time . After the initial assessment and 2 phone interviews ( months apart) I was brought in for a 4 hour face to face ??? 4 hours ??? I wish Capital One realized that we are in the finance industry and not saving lives nor are we working for the secret service. The amount of assessments and repetitive " So tell me about your resume" was just ridiculous.

My first interview was supposed to be lunch and job fit . I purposely didn't eat because I didn't want to not eat and be rude. Well the first interviewer came in and for 40 minutes we talked about my resume ( which I already discussed with her for 25 mins two days before on the phone). Within the first 15 minutes of my four hour interview I wanted to leave. I was told that the group I was interviewing for worked weekends all year round and late nights all year round. I clearly value a healthy work life balance and working there clearly wasn't that . After the 2.5 hr mark I picked up my bag and was just going to leave (since the third interviewer was 15 mins late ) as soon as I get up she walks in and she's asking me situational questions. I clearly checked out at this point and was just answering so I could get out . My attention span was done . By the last interviewer I was just annoyed ( although I didn't show it I felt it)

I was never so happy to leave. On my way back to my car all I could do was laugh. What I received from Capital One was it is very uptight . Everyone had this attitude of arrogance and a chip on their shoulder.

I expected no offer since I totally checked out and trust me I wouldn't have accepted if I did . Advice to capital one: Get it together!! The reason you are always hiring is because people are always leaving .

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to convince someone to go along with your idea   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I had a positive telephone interview with a recruiter and was then asked to complete a series of tests to move forward to an in person interview. The tests were math and verbal reasoning. These tests did not pertain to the role or my background, and were more difficult than the GRE. I didn't pass the tests and despite being told I was a 'great candidate', I was not allowed to move forward in the process. I would highly suggest that if they plan to hire solid creative talent, they need to eliminate tests that do not apply to the position. It's truly ridiculous and unnecessary.

Interview Questions

• Math and Verbal Reasoning tests that must be passed in order to move forward in the hiring process.   Answer Question

Part Time Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Windsor, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (East Windsor, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got a e-mail 2 days later for a One - way video interview which took about 30-45 minutes to complete. it's been 5 days since the video interview, still waiting to be contacted by the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult customer situation you faced and explain how you solved the problem   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

1 behavioral + 2 case interviews. One of the cases is heavy on quant and calculations are recalled for future questions within the case. The cases are not necessarily based on banking industry problems. They are used to assess the candidate's problem solving approach. Not much time given for questions to be posed by the candidate after the case is completed. So do ask your best questions.