Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Capital One
- Business Analyst (314)
- Data Analyst (93)
- Statistician (67)
- Operations Analyst (61)
- Senior Business Analyst (55)
- Senior Data Analyst (49)
- Analyst (44)
- Bank Teller (32)
- Teller (31)
- Financial Analyst (31)
- Customer Service Representative (31)
- Business Analyst Intern (30)
- Project Manager (27)
- Data Scientist (26)
- Director (25)
- Intern (24)
- Relationship Banker (22)
- Senior Manager (17)
- Associate (17)
- Senior Operations Analyst (16)
- Business Manager (15)
- Finance Rotation Associate (14)
- Fraud Intake Coordinator (13)
- Manager (12)
- Customer Service Coordinator (12)
- Software Engineer (12)
- IT Development Program (11)
- Teller I (11)
- Senior Business Manager (10)
- Statistician Intern (9)
Helpful (3)No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.
First a phone call with the recruiter followed by a phone case interview which was pretty simple. Power day at their campus included 4 interviews- 2 cases plus 2 behavioral. Behavioral interviews are the most straightforward interviews on earth. Three straight questions are asked with an expected STAR format answer. Cases are adaptive in that the difficulty of cases will increase as you answer questions correctly.
- Tell me about a time when you had to anticipate a problem and resolve it before it became an issue. Tell me about a time when you had a difficult team to deal with. Answer Question
- No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Melville, NY) in April 2015.
Met up with my recruiter who then followed me into the conference room. Then I was interviewed by 5 people ranging from Senior Director, Risk Managers, Operational Director and 2 Associates.
- Tell me a time when you worked hard at something and it didn't turn out the way you wanted to? Answer Question
- Tell me about yourself? Answer Question
- Tell me a time when you analyzed data? Answer Question
- Have you ever worked with confidential information? Answer Question
- What kind of capital structure can be determined from these financial statements? What is the pattern? 1 Answer
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.
The interview was straight forward. 2 cases 2 behavioral. Back to back interviews with a 15 min break. Any mathematical calculation error on cases will through you out of the game. Nice people. In my second case interview, the interviewer came 8 minutes late but left on time! Could not get enough time to reach the recommendation of the case.
Helpful (10)No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.
The whole process went on very well and all the staff and interviewers were super nice. They were very helpful. 2 case interviews and 2 behavior interviews for the final round at Richmond. Behavior questions were very similar to the prepare examples they provided before the interview. Get familiar with your previous experiences and remembered details would help. Behavior questions were not hard, just try to use the STAR format and you should be fine. Case interviews had lots of math and calculations. Once you figured out the equation, it is not that hard. My first case was about ATM and how to choose location to place an ATM, and list the revenue resources and cost resources. Then interviewer provided some data to calculate the calculate the annual profit. Then draw a graph about total volume using the ATM and the % of non capital one customers. Show how to increase profit on the graph. Then discussed some limitations such as could not have unlimited volume etc. My second case was about life insurance. You are a product manager and want to decide whether it is profitable. Customers will pay a premium to buy the insurance, and once they dead we need to pay a one-time fee to the beneficiaries. Also provided some other costs. Then calculated the max %of death if the company want to profit in a year. You have to assume when you customers will die during this year. Then provided 4 customers segments(A,B,C,D) with different probability of death but same % of population. Then we have 4 different strategies, 1 only contains A, risk is 1%, 2 contains A and B, risk is 2%, 3 contains A,B,C, risk is 3%, 4 contains A,B,C,D, risk is 4%. If you want to max profit, which strategy would you choose. Then draw a graph to show the relationship between the strategies and the total profit.
- Tell me a time when you had to pursue others to agree with you. Tell me a time when you had to quickly adapt to a changing object in a project. Answer Question
- No OfferNegative ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2015.
Capital one basically runs an interview mill in Richmond. I'm sure recruiters have to bring through X number of people a month. 2 behavioral and 2 case studies all back to back. Quite boring and repetitive. Don't waste your time.
- Graph a weighted average Answer Question
- No OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.
There are 3 rounds of interviews. 1. recruiter telephone, basically introduce the company and the position and arrange the time for the next interview; 2. sr. manager telephone case interview 45 min. Telephone case interview is about call centers in US and Philippines. Calculation is simple, but strategic thinking is important, not easy to pass. Feedback is pretty quick. In the next day, you'll know the result from your recruiter.; 3. onsite case interviews and behavior interview The interval between interviews is 1 to 1.5 weeks Recruiter and interviewers are very nice
- Behavior interview will ask very detail about your previous experience. You should prepare more examples in every aspects to show your personality and ability match the position and company Answer Question
Helpful (3)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).
Met at on-campus career fair and submitted resume. Resume was sufficient to earn a first-round interview on my university's campus. Passed that and was invited to an interview at their Richmond, Virginia location. They paid for my flight there and back and my meals. The interview day at Richmond consisted of 3 interviews - 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral. The behavioral was just like any other job interview. The case interviews consisted of math problems involving various topics from credit card rates to life insurance. The interviewer is there to help you through the problem with any questions, but it is important to keep your work organized and not get stuck in one area.
- Case question about call times. Constantly translating numbers into minutes or hours was a little confusing, but not too bad. Answer Question
- No OfferEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One in June 2014.
Called by a recruiter around one week after I applied the position online. Set up a phone interview with a sr. operations manager with more than 10 years experience. The phone interview is mainly a case study, without background check or behavioral questions. Took 45 mins.
- Case study about the cost benefit analysis of their call center, located in US and Philippine. Do basic calculation on the total cost given information about number of agencies, salary rate, and duration of phone calls. Also some basic personal opinions are asked such as why and how the strategy is chosen. Answer Question
Helpful (15)No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2014.
1 phone interview - case interview.
- Phone case interview: The company has an online document centre which keeps track of all of the info about its customers. We offered our customers a free option to enroll in e statements and stop receiving paper statements. The enrollment numbers are below our expectations. We want to launch a marketing campaign. What are some of the factors that you would consider to design such a campaign? List them and briefly explain. Now, I have some data for you. The marketing dept has determined that it would send across 150,000 emails to customers based on two different strategies. Each email costs 25 cents and the lifetime savings for each customer enrolled will be $20. For the first strategy, the customer receives a one time statement credit of $15 and under the second strategy, the customer receives a credit of $5. Which strategy would you prefer and why? When asked about response rates, the interviewer gave response rates of 15% and 10% for the two strategies. Answer Question
Helpful (2)No OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2014.
After the initial case study over phone, I was called to Richmond for a day long process. The arrangements were excellent, from flight reservation to hotel to transportation. The interview day had 4 interviews- two behavioural and two case studies. I think I underestimated the behavioral interviews and did'nt go well prepared. The 1st case study on reward points was quite tough and I screwed it up under pressure. The second one on call center was easy though and I think I nailed that. But obviously, you need to do well in both the case study as well as the behavioral. So, prepare hard for behavioral, practice your responses with your friends/ well-wishers and ask if your responses sound convincing. I did not make it but I thought I got a fair chance.
- The case study on rewards points. I am not allowed to disclose the questions. Answer Question
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review