Capital One

Updated Jan 27, 2015
1,407 Interview Reviews

3.2

Teller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

I applied online. I was contacted within 2 days by email for a digital interview by hirevue. I guess that's the new interview process for capital one. There's 15 questions some are a written response. If you pass the digital interview the recruiter will contact you to go into the branch for one on one interview. It's only been about 2 days and I'm still waiting for a follow up.

Interview Questions
    • Why capital one?
      What are your goals 2 - 3 yrs from now and how will capital one help you?

Answer Question

Bank Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

I applied for this position online, which included general application information and a lengthy behavioral assessment. Two days after passing the behavioral assessment, I got a call from a recruiter. She asked if I'd be interested in a phone interview, and we scheduled it for the next day. The phone interview was not really an interview, just a conversation to see if I was interested and if I'd be a good fit. After establishing my strong interest in the position, she scheduled an on-site interview.

My interview was two parts, as there were 3 positions open in the same area. The first was one-on-one and very enjoyable, and there were two interviewers present for the second part. The questions were behavioral, and as others have said it is great to stick to the STAR method. As Capital One's career site says, they are looking for a conversation, so it is not uncomfortable like some other interviews can be.

I was told that it would take a week to get a decision, but got an offer that evening. I was then sent some paperwork to sign, and a background check form (post-offer application). The background check took about 4 days. For my position, the whole process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - all of them were "Think of a time when..." type questions.   View Answer
    The salary was non-negotiable.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

On campus interview with a senior business analyst out of the Richmond/DC combination of offices. Easygoing southern man who was an alumni of my school. Applied via my school's career center after attending a case workshop that gave strategies for how to approach Capital One's version of the "case interview." Interview was laid back and was about 5 minutes of introductions on both sides and then the meat was the case. General business "break-even" case where you must work through some algebra to reach a company's breakeven point. Then they layer in some new information (promo-pricing, etc.) and see how your answer changes and what you would do about it from a managing perspective. Interview ends with the classic "do you have any questions for me?" and you are out. All told at most 35-40 minutes. After the initial OCR interview you head to one of the campuses and do the same format of interview with slightly more senior people and/or complex cases. Doing a few cases by yourself beforehand will help you get the rhythm and format of these cases and should help you get the basics pretty easily and allow you some time to make some more novel comments about your answer(s).

Interview Questions
    • It is probably OK to be workman-like in your answer/approach the case(s) - no need to reinvent the wheel. However, don't be so vanilla in delivering the correct answer that you become relatively forgettable. There was probably one or two wrinkles of basic microecon that an interviewer may be impressed by that helps to add a bit more subjectivity to your final answer and business decision in the context of the case, but I am not sure how much it adds.   Answer Question

My heart wasn't with the company - obviously lots of smart people doing good work at a growing enterprise but I was set on a different but related field in finance/business.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in July 2014.

I had an initial HR interview followed by math, verbal and personality tests. Once I passed those I moved to an onsite interview with the hiring manager and peers including a business case study. The next round was with the senior leadership team. I interviewed with a total of 11 people onsite during my 2 visits which was rather grueling. As many people have mentioned, the verbal and math tests were very difficult and I spent hours completing practice tests. I would not have passed without practicing.

The recruiter was very good and did an excellent job of explaining the process and the different people /roles as I moved through the process.

Interview Questions
    • The case study required that I read the case study and ask questions to understand issues. Then I had to quickly prepare a short presentation and make the presentation to the hiring manager on how I would solve the issue.   Answer Question
    I tried to negotiate but the offer was fair and they only added a week of vacation.

Statistician Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

Applied through campus recruiting website. Got email from HR to set up phone interviews. Questions are a mix of basic statistics - Multicollinearity , CI, P-value, - and two cases. The interviewer does not really ask too much about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • you are given a data set of alumni donation with 5000 predictors, we want to know how you will predict whether a given alumni will donate or not. What would you do   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Interviewed for Business Analyst Intern. Applied through school website. In the lobby of the interview rooms there were a few recent graduates who had been working with Capital One for a few years taking questions and trying to make you feel comfortable.

Interviewer was a nice, young lady. Not too personal. We got right down to business with the case. Didn't get an offer but it was a great learning experience. Nothing too crazy about the interview. She answered my questions clearly and concisely.

Interview Questions
    • It was a case about a state considering to implement a new tool system on its highways.   Answer Question

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

The whole process went on very well and all the staff and interviewers were super nice. They were very helpful.
    2 case interviews and 2 behavior interviews for the final round at Richmond.
    Behavior questions were very similar to the prepare examples they provided before the interview. Get familiar with your previous experiences and remembered details would help. Behavior questions were not hard, just try to use the STAR format and you should be fine.
    Case interviews had lots of math and calculations. Once you figured out the equation, it is not that hard. My first case was about ATM and how to choose location to place an ATM, and list the revenue resources and cost resources. Then interviewer provided some data to calculate the calculate the annual profit. Then draw a graph about total volume using the ATM and the % of non capital one customers. Show how to increase profit on the graph. Then discussed some limitations such as could not have unlimited volume etc.
    My second case was about life insurance. You are a product manager and want to decide whether it is profitable. Customers will pay a premium to buy the insurance, and once they dead we need to pay a one-time fee to the beneficiaries. Also provided some other costs. Then calculated the max %of death if the company want to profit in a year. You have to assume when you customers will die during this year. Then provided 4 customers segments(A,B,C,D) with different probability of death but same % of population. Then we have 4 different strategies, 1 only contains A, risk is 1%, 2 contains A and B, risk is 2%, 3 contains A,B,C, risk is 3%, 4 contains A,B,C,D, risk is 4%. If you want to max profit, which strategy would you choose. Then draw a graph to show the relationship between the strategies and the total profit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to pursue others to agree with you.
      Tell me a time when you had to quickly adapt to a changing object in a project.

Answer Question

Senior Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

There were 5 different meetings during my onsite interview. The first meeting I worked through a probability problem. In another meeting, I was presented with a case study (regression results) and had to act as if those results were my colleagues. I had to present, defend, and offer constructive improvements while acting like I was talking the results over with a client. Then I had two normal interview type meetings. The fifth meeting was a personal reflection meeting.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you failed? What did you learn?   Answer Question

I received a more competitive offer.

Mortgage Ops I (Loan Specialist) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

I applied online and recieved a phone call from a recruiter within 1 and a half weeks. They were extremely friendly and oranigzed. They set up an behavioral based interview one week later and offered me the position a week later. Everyone I encountered was exteremly friendly and laid back. I could not be more excited to join the Cap One team.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which a coworker had an unexpected problem. What did you do to help you coworker?   Answer Question

Principal Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

Initial DI test: Simple math questions based on looking at graphs. Key is to be able to read graphs at first/second glance without mistake and speed. Calculator is allowed.

Test is followed by a series of case rounds (2 to 4 rounds depending on what am not sure) on the quantitative side which need a very slight sprinkling of strategy concepts but more importantly common sense.
    In the case, you will be given figures if you ask for them. Since you will mostly be evaluating profit/breakeven, it isn’t too difficult to work out what to ask for usually. Each round is an elimination round.

Round2, Case1: Rural lending case. Is it profitable in a couple of simple scenarios with numbers given?
    Round3, Case2: Credit card case. Transacters Vs Revolvers. Who is more profitable? How much should the spend for former be so that they are just as profitable as latter?
    Round4, Case3: Online food retail case. If food is not delivered hot, its free Vs discounted. Which to choose?
    Round5, Case4: Telecom case. There’s a telecom plan with a fixed tariff until a time and then charged an amount per minute. Will you launch such a plan?

Last case tripped me up. Didn’t realize that people who only have long calls to make will opt for it and they will keep cutting the calls as soon as the fixed tariff is done to redial. It is highly unlikely the plan will make a profit. This simple logic escaped me during the discussion which came at the end of an entire day in their office without food giving one interview after the next. No offer. My loss certainly but their loss too perhaps? I'd like to hope so. If I had cleared Round5, there would have been a HR round. I am unable to enlighten you about it seeing as I haven’t gone through it.

I am giving the interview process a difficult rating not because any/some of the questions were particularly difficult but because it was a long drawn process that lasted from morning till end of the day and was completely exhausting.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any especially difficult questions posed.   Answer Question