Capital One

Updated Dec 15, 2014
1,361 Interview Reviews

3.2

Development(TDP) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

I applied online, and received a call several days later that Capital One would like to fly me out to their Richmond, VA location for a series of all-day interviews. I set a date and Capital One set me up with a travel agency that would take care of my flight, putting me up at the Hilton hotel, and arranging a driver to take me from the airport to the hotel to their offices. Everything was paid for by Capital One. Several other candidates were there as well, and three Capital One employees took us to lunch at one of the dining areas. This was an opportunity to chat with employees that have nothing to do with the hiring process, so we had a chance to ask more blunt questions and not have that reflect on us at all. After lunch, we were given a brief tour of the campus by these employees, and at 1 PM we were returned to the interviewing location. Then, we had 3 45-minute interviews. The order you go through them differs, but they are a behavioral interview, a case interview, and a job fit technical interview. I was expecting the job fit to be the easiest, but it was actually the most difficult. The case was pretty straight forward, and even though I messed up most of my calculations the first time (inputting the wrong numbers into my calculator), the caser was good about guiding me back to the area that I missed, and I was telling him my thought process the entire time, which is what they are really looking for. The last interview is a behavioral interview, which is pretty standard. It is 45 minutes long, so you should be prepared to talk for about 15 minutes for each of the 3 behavioral questions. After all three interviews, you wait for 15 additional minutes to determine if the interviewers feel you need a 4th interview (which they say isn't good or bad, just that they need additional information about you). No one in the group of candidates that day was told they had to wait, so we were all free to go. They had arranged a driver to take us back to the airport, and I went home that evening.

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm to retrieve the kth to the last element in a singly-linked Linked List.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you explained a technical concept to a non-technical person.   Answer Question
    They offered a monthly salary (not hourly rate) and a signing bonus (which is unusual, and pretty great. It is tax-free). Since this was an internship and the amounts were pretty generous, I did not negotiate.

Senior Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

Long in person interview. Prep, prep prep on the STAR way of answering a question. Expect nothing so you won't be upset when you don't get it and don't get any real feedback on why.

Work At Home Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

I was emailed about a week after applying. The application process is a series of test to determine your behavioral patterns. There was also a mock setup of what it would be like to take calls from home. The 1st interview was done by an app called HireVue. You will be sent a link with instructions on how to download app and what to do. The interview consisted of a series of questions record by a woman and you get 2-3 minutes to answer. 2nd Interview which I was called for about two weeks after that was done by a recruiter and she asked me a serious of questions and once I finished she offered me a 3rd interview. She advised me to research behavioral interviews and too have some answers prepared to some of those questions. The interview was scheduled for the very next day. I was called for the third person the next afternoon and she explained the interview would take about 30 minutes. She explained she would ask me questions about situations and I needed to give her step by step what I had done. I had Googled behavioral questions and had wrote down some questions along with some answers. The best way to answer these questions is by the STAR method. Please research that and you will do great. At the end I was able to ask questions and then she said it would be a week before I knew one way or another. I was called exactly a week from the previous date and was offered the job. I was given four schedules to choose from and the offer was contingent upon my background check. Start date about a month from offer date.

Interview Questions
    • How did you explain a companyear procedure to a customer?
      Name a time when you provided outstanding customer service.
      Describe a difficult time when you solved a problem using only your resources with no help from your supervisor?

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

On-campus interview at my university, set up through university career services. The preparation video and walk-through explain the two types of interviews in detail, a case iInterview and a behavioral interview, so I felt relatively prepared going into the morning of the interview. The recruiter was really friendly and very professional. He posed a case interview question, and explained that there wasn't enough time to do both types of interviews. It was almost exactly like the practice case interview, but a little less complicated (mini golf course, promotion strategy, basic business math). He helped me through the problem, but I sort of stumbled through some of the math.

Interview Questions
    • After laying out the basic cost-revenue structure of the mini golf business I owned, the interviewer proposed a scenario concerning multiple options of promotions to increase profits, and asked me to do the math clearly on a piece of paper. Which promotion would you recommend? I arrived at the right answer in the end, but got a little confused on a couple elements of the problem...   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

The process was not rigorous but pretty bland. The interviewer introduced himself and then we started the case. I had trouble pointing out the quantitative answers because he was very ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider to be a business analyst   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I stopped by the Capital One booth at my schools Career fair. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on campus first round interview. The interview was purely behavioral, consisting of questions to the tune of "How did you overcome X." I was told in my interview that I had preformed well that that I would be advancing to the next round (My interviewer must have had a long day of duds).

Final rounds consisted of three interviews, lunch, and a tour of the Richmond Capital One office. At final rounds there was a group of ~15 candidates who, I assume, all went through the same process.
    The three interviews consisted of a case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The interviewers were all kind and gave me feedback at the conclusion of each interview. The interviewers were a mix of management staff and software engineers. After the interviews one candidate was asked to stay for further questions (I assumed this meant he was receiving an offer), while the rest of the candidates were shown out of the office. Much to my surprise I received a phone call not two hours later, while I was still driving home, congratulating me on the interviews and giving me an offer.

After interviewing I got the impression that while I was applying for a software development position the focus of the interviews personality and critical thinking. This was a little off-putting because it makes me believe that it is possible to be hired at Capital One as a Software Engineer without being a great coder. For technical preparation I would recommend purchasing or downloading a copy of Cracking The Coding Interview 5th edition. All of the technical questions I was asked came directly, WORD FOR WORD, from this book. Proper preparation, along with good communication skills is a recipe to preform well and get a great offer.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was about mortgage securities, a topic I am not particularly familiar with. Luckily after some question asking and thinking aloud I was able to work my way through the case.   View Answer
    I have a friend who interned at Capital One last year before taking an offer. He told me his salary and I was able to negotiate up to it by leveraging a competing offer from Red Hat.

IT Rotational Development Program Interview

First round interview: On campus 1 on 1 behavioral interview
    Final Round: 3 Separate interviews. Job fit/Technical, Behavioral, and Case Interview

Capital one interviewed me with about 15-20 other people simultaneously. We all had our separate rooms and interviewers would come in one after another. The major issue I have with the interview process is that the interviewers did not give us all the same coding problems or technical questions. There were two possible coding problems and one was considerably harder than the other. I only found this out after I spoke to the other candidates. I don't feel that conducting the interviews this way is a fair way of gauging the best candidate for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview. Given data to determine whether the company should implement an outsourcing solution vs an in house solution. Must create formulas with the data given by interviewer to figure this out.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Applied for the position through my campus career center. First interview (on campus) was a 30-minute case interview, no personal/behavioral questions were asked. After passing the first round, I was given paid travel to Capital One's Plano offices for a day of final round interviews and a tour around their campus. There were 3 interviews, each 45 minutes: 2 cases and 1 behavioral. One-on-one interviews with different interviewers each time.

Interview Questions
    • A business case in which basic calculus knowledge would have been helpful (determining the maximum point of a parabolic function).   Answer Question
    • Tell about a difficult time - how you dealt with it and what you learned.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied through school. 1st round 30 min case on campus. First round was pretty straightforward with profit=revenue - loss and breakeven calculations. 2nd round in either of their Virginia offices. 1 behavioral and 2 cases, 45 min each. My second case was much harder than the first. It was somewhat hard to relate to the interviewers because they were significantly older and didn't seem very interested or invested in you as a candidate. No offer but it was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a challenge and what you learned. They a lot of follow up questions for each situation.   View Answers (5)

Data Analyst Interview

1. Online question takes 2-4 hours 2. After pass online test HR will contact you in a week to set up onsite interview. Onsite takes 5 hours to do.

Interview Questions
    • Solve several business cases and need to use a calculator to do probability problems   Answer Question