Capital One Interview Questions

3.2

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

The first interview basically a behavioral interview. The second was three interviews consisting of a behavioral, case, and technical job fit interview. The behavioral was the same as in the first interview. The case interview mostly consists of weighing options and choosing the best decision in specific problems. It mostly consists of some algebra. The technical job fit interview consisted of a few basic OOD concept questions, a data structure implementation and an algorithm coding question.

Interview Questions
    • How do you get to the k-th to last element in a linked list in linear time?   Answer Question

Technology Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

On-campus interview took place at Richmond, Virginia, and lasted from 11:40 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Transportation was provided to and from the campus for all interviewees.

The day began with lunch and a tour of the Capital One facility. Tour guides were recent hires who were there to give insight as to how Capital One works and answer any questions. The interviews themselves were three stages, Behavioral, Case, and Technical, with a break provided at some point in between. Behavioral questions were quite simple, with a large emphasis on the S.A.R. methodology. If you left any part of your answer missing, interviewers were kind and asked you to elaborate on certain parts of your answer. During the case interview, simple algebra was used to compute answers with an emphasis on data analysis and decision making.

The technical interview was none too complicated, but the phrasing of certain questions made me nervous (especially when the interviewer kept asking, "Are you sure?"), causing me to make simple errors during this stage. I believe that while the questions were fair, nerves got the best of me, leading me to not receive an offer. After speaking with candidates, I found that the full-time interviews were slightly easier than the internship interviews, though I am not sure why.

Overall, the interview process was extremely well done and made me feel well at home. While I did not receive an internship offer, I fully plan on re-applying for a full-time position during the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you had to explain a technical concept to a non-technical person.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

HR call, online test, job fit phone call, onsite- power day interviews(2 behavioural rounds and 2 case interviews). overall they do not ask any difficult questions, and that is what sets Capital One apart from the rest of the industry. The focus is on problem solving skills, leadership skills and communication. They are majorly focussed on finding individuals who can step in and solve any business challenge where a lot might be unknown.

Interview Questions
    • behavioral interviews often have questions which are complicated or about really complicated real life work situations: eg: tell me about a time you did not agree with the managements decision/stratgey?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Capital One.

The first round was an on-campus behavioral interview which consisted of four questions. After the first round was the final on-site interview which included a behavioral, case, and job-fit (technical) interview one hour each.

The interviews were not too stressful and they asked very simple questions for the technical interview. I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for in a candidate since there's no way that their technical interview can screen out a lot of people. I had no idea if I made a mistake on the technical, case, or behavioral interviews, but it was probably behavioral since that's pretty subjective (if you fit the culture or if they want to work with you).

From the on-site interview to the tour it was pretty obvious that Capital One takes care of their employees; they give you snacks and a one hour break randomly scheduled in your onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string, return the first NON-repeating character that occurs in the string.
      EX: "adzbdcab" returns 'z'.

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I had a recruiter contact me to discuss a position. I went through an initial phone screen before taking the online test. After which I spoke with the hiring manager. She was nice and recommended me for an onsite interview. This is where the my experience changed. I didn't get confirmation on the day for a while. After finally getting confirmation I was only sent the invite less than 36 hour to the interview. Guess what I didn't get any information about Travel, hotel or any such information despite the recruiter knew I lived in a city 4-5 hours away. I just got a schedule I was expected to drive in icy road conditions and find myself a place to stay at that point. I realized if they dont care for my wellbeing before the interview I am very sure nothing like a relocation package. I already had an offer so I declined the onsite interview.

My advice is before going through the rigorous interview process carefully ask all questions so you don't waster your time. After talking to a former employee he told me the good reviews is for those who work at HQ other locations suck.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

- Got contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn.
    - Set up a phone 30 min phone interview and asked about my background, current work etc
    - Got set up for a 'Superday' at the Richmond office
    - Superday was 2 case rounds and 1 behaviorial interview, then lunch with a current associate
    - After lunch, I had to go through one additional case, but other candidates did not

Interview Questions
    • - Behaviorial was pretty standard stuff, just read their list of 10 questions and look up some more online. They really prefer the STAR method of answering questions.

- Case 1: related to Term Life Insurance. What would you charge a potential customer with a $8,000 payout and a 4% chance of death?

- Case 2: related to Credit Card product. What ways would you drive additional revenue amongst the different client segments

Senior Fraud Intake Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Capital One.

I applied on 2/7 Sat, status changed to scheduling phone interview. The following Monday 2/9 I received a call from a recruiter, missed her call so the next morning she returned my call. I had a roughly 15 min phone interview where she told me about the position and asked me about why I'm leaving jobs and such, also a behavioral question. She advised that I passed that stage and that I should expect a call from her that week to schedule an in person interview. I received a call Thursday advising of an interview about a week and a half away. The interview was only 4 behavioral/situation questions. I got a call the next day in the morning telling me I got the job! I start in March.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you dealt with an upset customer?
      Name a time an unexpected situation arrived at work and how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Apply online though the captal one online application. But the job opportunity is actually sent out by our department chair. So I do not know whether that is an advantage to get the interview or not. I submit the online application in Feb and by the end of feb. I received an email asking me to give them time available for the phone interview

Interview Questions
    • Some basic statistics concept like what is the p value?
      And a case interview ask you to minimize the profit. It is quite challenging to get what they want to you to answer.

Project Manager Rotational Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Went in person for and interview after a summer internship, had one case interview, two behavioral interviews and one about fit. Very nice interviewers, straight forward questions. Case was about being a product manager at capital one, had to do a couple of break even equations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to overcome obstacles to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Received a email to schedule a phone interview about 2 weeks after I submit my resume.
    The phone interview last about half an hour. Firstly, talk about some details about your own project experience. Then some basic statistics concept questions. Then a business case.
    Receive a email about the interview results the very next day.

Interview Questions
    • Explain some basic concept to a client who does not have much statistics background. p-value, confidence interval, and multicollinearity.   Answer Question
    • If a university want to raise money and their budget is 1 million dollars. What should they do?   Answer Question