Capital One

Updated Jan 28, 2015
1,409 Interview Reviews

3.2

Human Resource Rotational Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview process was heavily focused on networking events at your respective schools. Talk to people in the program, ask questions about the interview process, and make sure to get your name out there. Prepare all sorts of "tell me about a time" questions. Very quick turnaround in terms of hearing back between the rounds and actually getting you onsite. There was a bit of an "exclusive" vibe and even badmouthing other HR rotational programs at an information session event, which was unfortunate.

Interview Questions
    • Have a clear idea of why you want the job and be ready to defend a background that doesn't necessarily jive with the banks/HR.   Answer Question

BA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

2 cases and 1 behavior. There was a bank related case and regular case that was similar to the online resources provided by Capital One. Do a lot of practice. The behavior questions were not unexpected. Just be prepare examples of your activities that you can discuss in the depth.

Work At Home Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

I was emailed about a week after applying. The application process is a series of test to determine your behavioral patterns. There was also a mock setup of what it would be like to take calls from home. The 1st interview was done by an app called HireVue. You will be sent a link with instructions on how to download app and what to do. The interview consisted of a series of questions record by a woman and you get 2-3 minutes to answer. 2nd Interview which I was called for about two weeks after that was done by a recruiter and she asked me a serious of questions and once I finished she offered me a 3rd interview. She advised me to research behavioral interviews and too have some answers prepared to some of those questions. The interview was scheduled for the very next day. I was called for the third person the next afternoon and she explained the interview would take about 30 minutes. She explained she would ask me questions about situations and I needed to give her step by step what I had done. I had Googled behavioral questions and had wrote down some questions along with some answers. The best way to answer these questions is by the STAR method. Please research that and you will do great. At the end I was able to ask questions and then she said it would be a week before I knew one way or another. I was called exactly a week from the previous date and was offered the job. I was given four schedules to choose from and the offer was contingent upon my background check. Start date about a month from offer date.

Interview Questions
    • How did you explain a companyear procedure to a customer?
      Name a time when you provided outstanding customer service.
      Describe a difficult time when you solved a problem using only your resources with no help from your supervisor?

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

The initial communication process for the interview was excellent. But the interview itself was not the same for each candidate. The case interviews varied for each candidate and some seemed more complicated than others.

Interview Questions
    • Work through a case involving credit cards. Make sure to study this if you get the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

Long in person interview. Prep, prep prep on the STAR way of answering a question. Expect nothing so you won't be upset when you don't get it and don't get any real feedback on why.

Development(TDP) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

I applied online, and received a call several days later that Capital One would like to fly me out to their Richmond, VA location for a series of all-day interviews. I set a date and Capital One set me up with a travel agency that would take care of my flight, putting me up at the Hilton hotel, and arranging a driver to take me from the airport to the hotel to their offices. Everything was paid for by Capital One. Several other candidates were there as well, and three Capital One employees took us to lunch at one of the dining areas. This was an opportunity to chat with employees that have nothing to do with the hiring process, so we had a chance to ask more blunt questions and not have that reflect on us at all. After lunch, we were given a brief tour of the campus by these employees, and at 1 PM we were returned to the interviewing location. Then, we had 3 45-minute interviews. The order you go through them differs, but they are a behavioral interview, a case interview, and a job fit technical interview. I was expecting the job fit to be the easiest, but it was actually the most difficult. The case was pretty straight forward, and even though I messed up most of my calculations the first time (inputting the wrong numbers into my calculator), the caser was good about guiding me back to the area that I missed, and I was telling him my thought process the entire time, which is what they are really looking for. The last interview is a behavioral interview, which is pretty standard. It is 45 minutes long, so you should be prepared to talk for about 15 minutes for each of the 3 behavioral questions. After all three interviews, you wait for 15 additional minutes to determine if the interviewers feel you need a 4th interview (which they say isn't good or bad, just that they need additional information about you). No one in the group of candidates that day was told they had to wait, so we were all free to go. They had arranged a driver to take us back to the airport, and I went home that evening.

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm to retrieve the kth to the last element in a singly-linked Linked List.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you explained a technical concept to a non-technical person.   Answer Question
    They offered a monthly salary (not hourly rate) and a signing bonus (which is unusual, and pretty great. It is tax-free). Since this was an internship and the amounts were pretty generous, I did not negotiate.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

I received a phone call interview about 1 week after filling out the application. First interview was a phone interview. The second interview was in the office. Tohe interview had three behavioral segments and one case study.

Tech Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

I sent my resume to an employee who forwarded it to a recruiter. I was offered the on site interview before applying, applied and then was shortly afterward flown out to Virginia for their big day of interviewing. My first interview was the case interview. Basic math skills required and it was pretty easy for how worried I was about it. My next interview was the behavioral and my interviewer was fantastic. Basic STAR questions here. My last interview was the job fit interview and my interviewer was awful. He was a newer employee and was very rude when communicating with me.

Interview Questions
    • 1)What's the difference between method overloading and method overriding?
      2)Write a program to find the k-th to last node in a linked list.
      3)You are in charge of creating a car dealership website, what data structures would you use to design a search engine and how would you implement them?

Answer Question

Principal Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2014.

The process began with a corporate recruiter who was very personable and easy to speak with. The interview process was very long, detailed, and included multiple phone and in person interviews. There were technical interviews with several staff members of varying levels/backgrounds and behavioral interviews with senior and C level management. The entire process was actually very enjoyable. The online process of filling out paperwork was one of the best I've experienced.

Interview Questions
    • Detail a recent situation where you had to convince someone to go with your idea. Detail the situation, idea, and the solution they accepted and why you believe they did. You have 15 minutes.   Answer Question
    They actually went above and beyond what I asked for and they have a very impressive benefit package overall.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

On-campus interview at my university, set up through university career services. The preparation video and walk-through explain the two types of interviews in detail, a case iInterview and a behavioral interview, so I felt relatively prepared going into the morning of the interview. The recruiter was really friendly and very professional. He posed a case interview question, and explained that there wasn't enough time to do both types of interviews. It was almost exactly like the practice case interview, but a little less complicated (mini golf course, promotion strategy, basic business math). He helped me through the problem, but I sort of stumbled through some of the math.

Interview Questions
    • After laying out the basic cost-revenue structure of the mini golf business I owned, the interviewer proposed a scenario concerning multiple options of promotions to increase profits, and asked me to do the math clearly on a piece of paper. Which promotion would you recommend? I arrived at the right answer in the end, but got a little confused on a couple elements of the problem...   View Answer