Capital One

Updated Jan 29, 2015
1,409 Interview Reviews

3.2

Business Analyst Interview

The process was not rigorous but pretty bland. The interviewer introduced himself and then we started the case. I had trouble pointing out the quantitative answers because he was very ambitious.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider to be a business analyst   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I stopped by the Capital One booth at my schools Career fair. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on campus first round interview. The interview was purely behavioral, consisting of questions to the tune of "How did you overcome X." I was told in my interview that I had preformed well that that I would be advancing to the next round (My interviewer must have had a long day of duds).

Final rounds consisted of three interviews, lunch, and a tour of the Richmond Capital One office. At final rounds there was a group of ~15 candidates who, I assume, all went through the same process.
    The three interviews consisted of a case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The interviewers were all kind and gave me feedback at the conclusion of each interview. The interviewers were a mix of management staff and software engineers. After the interviews one candidate was asked to stay for further questions (I assumed this meant he was receiving an offer), while the rest of the candidates were shown out of the office. Much to my surprise I received a phone call not two hours later, while I was still driving home, congratulating me on the interviews and giving me an offer.

After interviewing I got the impression that while I was applying for a software development position the focus of the interviews personality and critical thinking. This was a little off-putting because it makes me believe that it is possible to be hired at Capital One as a Software Engineer without being a great coder. For technical preparation I would recommend purchasing or downloading a copy of Cracking The Coding Interview 5th edition. All of the technical questions I was asked came directly, WORD FOR WORD, from this book. Proper preparation, along with good communication skills is a recipe to preform well and get a great offer.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was about mortgage securities, a topic I am not particularly familiar with. Luckily after some question asking and thinking aloud I was able to work my way through the case.   View Answer
    I have a friend who interned at Capital One last year before taking an offer. He told me his salary and I was able to negotiate up to it by leveraging a competing offer from Red Hat.

Data Analyst Interview

1. Online question takes 2-4 hours 2. After pass online test HR will contact you in a week to set up onsite interview. Onsite takes 5 hours to do.

Interview Questions
    • Solve several business cases and need to use a calculator to do probability problems   Answer Question

IT Rotational Development Program Interview

First round interview: On campus 1 on 1 behavioral interview
    Final Round: 3 Separate interviews. Job fit/Technical, Behavioral, and Case Interview

Capital one interviewed me with about 15-20 other people simultaneously. We all had our separate rooms and interviewers would come in one after another. The major issue I have with the interview process is that the interviewers did not give us all the same coding problems or technical questions. There were two possible coding problems and one was considerably harder than the other. I only found this out after I spoke to the other candidates. I don't feel that conducting the interviews this way is a fair way of gauging the best candidate for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview. Given data to determine whether the company should implement an outsourcing solution vs an in house solution. Must create formulas with the data given by interviewer to figure this out.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Applied for the position through my campus career center. First interview (on campus) was a 30-minute case interview, no personal/behavioral questions were asked. After passing the first round, I was given paid travel to Capital One's Plano offices for a day of final round interviews and a tour around their campus. There were 3 interviews, each 45 minutes: 2 cases and 1 behavioral. One-on-one interviews with different interviewers each time.

Interview Questions
    • A business case in which basic calculus knowledge would have been helpful (determining the maximum point of a parabolic function).   Answer Question
    • Tell about a difficult time - how you dealt with it and what you learned.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied and interviewed through campus hire program in Spring 2014. Process took about 3 week. They had plenty of on campus info sessions and interview preparation. I had one interview on campus and an invite for a final round of interviews on site in Richmond. Interviewers were friendly but focused on the task at hand: judging your analytic ability. This is the main focus of the case interviews, to see if you can draw conclusions and think of different approaches by yourself. They will help you get back on track if you get lost, but doing this too often probably isn't good. They provide a calculator, but the numbers are easy so you can get extra points for not using it.

Interview Questions
    • My cases were more analytic in nature than cases I studied. Many times you will be asked to make a graph or a function. The cases will have clear conclusions, so you will know if you finished the case in the allotted time or not. I prepared a lot and I was fine, but I can see cases being hard if you aren't prepared.   Answer Question
    New grads don't have much room to negotiate. But don't really need to, good pay and benefits.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Applied on their website, phone screened by recruiter with 5 easy math questions.

Then was invited for an on-site interview with 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews.

Behavioral questions are(they are allowed to be taken out, and I had them written down on paper, so these questions are exact):
    tell me a time when
    1. you called on an expert for their expertise
    2. successfully avoided an obstacle to deliver a project on time
    3. learnt something new to accomplish a project
    4. had to turn a general goal to a realistic plan
    5. responsible for implementing a new project/process. better use an example that involved someone else
    6. had to take significant risk to sell an idea when others did not see the potential of the idea

Case questions are(the notes are not allowed to be taken out, but ok if by memory):
    1. Capital One is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

2. You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?

Then when they decided to give you an offer, you'll be arranged to be called by the director of the department you'll be assigned to.

Very much thank to the 998 Glassdoor interview reviews when I was preparing the interview. I've read 600+ of them, all about Analysts and even some of Tellers and Managers, Directors interviews. Get yourself familiar with the cases here, none of actual cases will be from what you read but they all give you a sense of what it would be like so that you won't panic, that you won't fail on junior high school maths and basic economic logic. Prepare behavior questions accordingly and actual questions will be very similar. And even if they are quite different, be flexible and use your examples accordingly, emphasize the characters asked in the actual question, NOT WHAT YOU PREPARED.

I read 600+ of the 1000 reviews here and I rated the interview to be easy. If you believe me and thought the interview will be easy, HAVE YOU DONE WHAT I'VE DONE?

Good luck! See you in Capital One!

Interview Questions
    • Prepare 6-7 situations for behavioral questions and be flexible if they questions is not asked in the way as you are prepared. Try to find the character they asked from your prepared examples. Cases are easy, if you make mistake and feel your answer is awkward, ask for help and modify your calc. I did make a mistake. It was a typo carried to next step's calc. And I found out and asked for help, and found out what's wrong with the formula I wrote.   View Answers (2)
    I did try to negotiate but frankly speaking, the salary is fair for the location I am placed. I had orally accepted the offer and is in process of signing and background check. If you want a life-time company, and/or a graduate company, here it goes.

Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One.

I got an on campus interview. The recruiter did not know what a BBA in Management Information Systems is. Then asked me a lot of passive aggressive questions about how my major was comparable to a Computer Science Degree. He even asked me if I had ever taken a programming course. THEN he finally started asking the questions.

Interview Questions
    • When did you have to make a quick decision and what were the outcomes.   Answer Question

Senior MIS Analyst Interview

I applied through employee referral. The process took about 4 weeks. The first round was a brief phone interview. I was asked some basic algebra questions like solving linear equations. A few days after the interview, I received an invitation from the recruiter for an on-site interview. The on-site interview had two behavioral interviews and two case interviews. Then we had a lunch with other interviewees and some employees currently working at Capital One.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral questions are typical "tell me about a time..." type, but quite related to the analyst job. Need some preparation.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied through school. 1st round 30 min case on campus. First round was pretty straightforward with profit=revenue - loss and breakeven calculations. 2nd round in either of their Virginia offices. 1 behavioral and 2 cases, 45 min each. My second case was much harder than the first. It was somewhat hard to relate to the interviewers because they were significantly older and didn't seem very interested or invested in you as a candidate. No offer but it was a great learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a challenge and what you learned. They a lot of follow up questions for each situation.   View Answers (5)