www.capitalone.com

Updated Nov 16, 2014
1,328 Interview Reviews

3.2

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Applied through career center. First round interview was on campus. Fairly straight forward, brief intro of the interviewer and then yourself. Dive into the case study pretty quickly. More laid back than consulting firm case studies. Second round was a super day at their headquarters. 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview in the morning, and then asked back for another case study in the afternoon (not all candidates were asked to stay). The cases were fairly similar to the first round, although slightly longer and more challenging. Behavioral interview was pretty standard. Nothing too tricky.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you lead a group where one of the members did not contribute.   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

On campus behavioral interview. I then moved to a full Power Day with a job fit, behavioral, and case study. They were 45 minutes each. You’ll be assessed on things such as motivation, intellectual rigor, teamwork, co-worker respect, and so on. I advise people to use the STAR method when answering job-fit questions so the interviewer can follow your train of thought. Doing some research on this technique will serve you well during your preparation. As for the case study mine was related to ideas for banking technical services.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was the most difficult when asking your ideas and what you should implement.   Answer Question

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

The entire process took 5 weeks from when I submitted my applications. I applied through my University and had an on-campus behavioral interview. They got back to me in a couple of days and said I had moved onto the second and final round of interviews (called Power Day) which is on-site. It was three 45 minute interviews: Behavioral, Case, and Job Fit (Technical). After Power Day, the recruiter called in a couple days later and offered me a job.

Interview Questions
    • Case Interview was very different from what I was used to. They gave me some data, asked me to solve some problems and come up with a general equation for the data, then graph it using pen and paper.   Answer Question

Technology Development Program Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Initial contact was through a tech-talk that Capital One has at my school. I approached the speakers afterward and introduced myself, and explained my interest in the positions they were offering. I signed-up and turned in my resume. After this, I was asked to go in for an interview. I was going to fly out to Virginia, but I asked for a on-campus interview instead.

The interview process was the best experience because it was very quick and to the point. I only had one 3 hour interview with three different interviewers. The first interview was about Case Studies and how you can analyze different situations. The second interview was the behavioral and not too much of a surprise there. Finally, my last interview was the most technical out of all of them. It was not difficult, but make sure to think out loud. I could have easily coded the problem seamlessly, but that is not what they are looking for. They want to gauge your understanding of the problem and how you go about solving it. (Just like at any other company).

2 days later I received a phone call saying I got the offer and will get an email including all the details! Fast, easy, and to the point. Great experience and enjoyed talking to the Capital One representatives.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected questions came from the Case Study interview. Not difficult, but that was my first case study interview so I had little idea of what to expect. I made sure to elaborate my thoughts and speak clearly. I had a conversation with the interviewer rather than a debate.   Answer Question

Still in the process of deciding.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Applied online and through my campus recruiting center. The first interview was on campus with just a single case. Then I was called back for second round interviews held on their Plano campus, which is really nice. I had four one hour interviews, 3 case and 1 behavioral interview. The fourth interview was not scheduled, they had asked me at the end of the day to stay for another one. After the third interview all the candidates got to go to lunch with some of the recent hires in the business analyst program. We got to ask questions and got a tour of their campus.

Interview Questions
    • When should we allow a card member to go over their credit limit and what risks are associated with that?   Answer Question
    Did not negiotate

Senior Platform Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

I have been working contract positions at Capital One for some time. Though I submitted myself though the standard corporate on-line job site. For anyone who is contracting looking to convert to full time, it is best to not rely on your direct assignment to convert you, but to leverage your knowledge to apply to other positions with in similar groups.

For the most part I got initial responses to on-line submissions (either good or bad) within a few weeks. For this particular position I was contacted by the internal recruiter about two weeks after my initial submission. End to End the process took about 4 weeks from contact offer.

CapOne does to a preliminary verbal and math reasoning assessment. That would add a week to the process. However once taken it is good for 24 months. I had done mine a few months ago with regards to another lead. This test isn't too hard, but take time to go over the prep material to get an idea what it will ask.

The rest of the interview process is fairly typical one or two preliminary phone screens then if all looks well, the on-site. The phones screens are mostly technical fit with one or two behavioral/situation questions. The On-site process will then be multiple one-hour sessions. Some of them technical fit, and some Behavioral. The Behavioral Interview (BI) idea allows a third party person assess your fit to working at Capital One. However, the hiring manager has final say on any offer, so the third party BI provides an advisory to the hiring manager.

Taking time to be persistent with multiple opportunities is a good idea. Two positions may share the same title and job functions, but each group has its own flavor.

Interview Questions
    • The formal Behavioral interview procedure can be a bit of a shock. But if you have a collection of stories regarding success, failures, troublesome co-workers and persuasion techniques then none of the specific questions are tricky. You are given a list of possible questions as part of your prep, so do your homework.   Answer Question
    The initial offer was good but the total compensation was a little below what I wanted. It was only base salary and year-end bonus expectations. I was able to negotiate a respectable sign-on bonus to bring the total compensation up to my goals.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Applied through campus recruiting. One on campus interview, one on site. On site interview was pretty straightforward. On site interview was a long process- 9 to 1. Flew in Thursday night, took shuttle to offices at 7:30 Friday morning. Each candidate got their own room and interviewers came in and out. Interview consisted of two cases and one behavioral Behavioral was pretty simple. Both cases were a little more complicated than the on campus one. Struggled with these cases.

Interview Questions
    • The business case was challenging- needed to find the maximum point on a parabolic graph and couldn't quite remember how to do that.   Answer Question

TDP Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Initial interview with one of the manager on campus. Then invited to on site. Had 3 rounds. First fit interview. Questions on data structure implementation, some basic OOP concepts. Then had the case interview. That was my first case interview. Go through the samples provided by the glassdoor reviews. Then the standard behavioral questions. Interviewers were very nice and overall a very pleasant experience.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Recruited at an on-campus career fair and passed through first round behavioral interview. Questions consisted of "Tell me about a time when.." Invited for a second interview in Richmond, VA. Second interview to include behavioral, job fit, and a case interview. Everyone I've worked with from the company has been extremely helpful and willing to work with me. Great experience so far.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new   Answer Question

Senior Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

The interview process was lengthy but un-managed. Got a call from recruiter seeking details about current job, responsibilities and she recommended to apply for Senior Developer position. Got a call from the team member and went through technical interview on the phone for 30 mins or so. Got an mail from recruiter that I have cleared the phone interview and was called for onsite interview. Here is the point where the communication gap started to happen. Though the recruiter sent the behavioral questions and promised to touch base with me about the onsite interview process, but she never got back to me. Till the day before the onsite interview day, didn't get a call. So, followed up and got to know there will be 2 behavioral and 1 Job fit interview.

On the onsite interview day, came to know that the plan had changed and was instead interviewed for 2 behavioral and 2 job fit interviews, which was not what the recruited had told. Anyways, went through the interviews. Job fits were technical interviews and one of them was telephonic where the interviewer was interested in knowing what I had done and didn't ask any specific questions. The second Job fit was face to face wherein the interviewer asked pointed questions about Design Patterns, WCF Services, Web Site Security, Test Driven Development etc. Both of Job Fit Went Fine

Then it was followed by two Behavioral interviews - First Job Fit interview was about specific situations where I had to call for an expert help and a situation where I had to change any process. She kept taking the notes also, and it went fine. The 2nd behavioral interview was not BI but technical interview again. This was also surprising and I was asked coding questions wherein they had code snippets and they wanted to know the output of the code. Was asked about one situation also. But was told by recruiter that BI is situation based and not technical, but here it was. So, guys beware and be ready that it they can change the plan randomly or ask technical questions in BI, which was mis-communicated or mismanaged. It seemed that they had some other hidden agenda and I felt that it was not a very managed or planned process which they usually are proud of. Even after sending the e-mails of the detailed plan, they changed the plan on the D-Day.

Anyways, after the interview got a mail that I have been selected, but recruiter took 1 week to come back with the offer.

Then I got one more shocker with the offer. Guess what they offered me Software Developer position and not the Senior Software Developer position that I had applied for, which I declined.

Now, I am wondering what was the root cause of this fiasco. They communicated different interview process but conducted different process, communicated different position but actual offer was for a different position, which was again mis-communicated. If they can do this before joining he company, wonder what they will do after joining.

So guys, please be careful and just don't go over the board with Capital One. It is just another company with inefficiencies.

Interview Questions
    • The entire interview process was unexpected. They communicated some process but actual process was different   Answer Question

They interviewed for Senior Developer position and offered Developer / Junior position. Miscommunication in the interview process, recruiter never getting back on time.