Capital One Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
1,553 Interview Reviews

3.2

Bank Teller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Beaumont, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. About 3 weeks later I was sent an email to complete an online interview with either my smart phone or my computer with a web cam. After I finished that interview I contacted the bank manager just letting her know that I was done with the interview and she emailed my results to the hiring manager. I was contacted the following Monday to secluded an off site interview. I went to the interview the next day and answered some pretty basic questions, the interview was no more than 30 mins. The next day I got the call saying I got the job! I go to training next month.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The entire process took about a month BE PATIENT GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT!!

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

One case interview over the phone, a few weeks later they flew me out to Richmond. Good with accommodations and reimbursements. In Richmond there were 2 case interviews and a behavioral interview.
    Cases were easy - breakeven analysts questions, basic strategic decisions for company. Behavioral was sort of strange, gave me three "tell me about a time when" questions at the beginning then we went through each one.
    We went on a tour of the campus and were provided lunch. After lunch all of the other interviewees were sent home and I was asked to stay for an additional case interview with a director.
    Got an offer the next business day

Interview Questions

• What decisions could X company make to become more profitable? If we raised prices by Y, how many units would we have to sell to breakeven?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

two rounds with the first round being a case study at the university that they recruited from and the second round consisting of a behavioral interview, job fit interview, and another very different case study at their virginia office. it was all one on one interviews. the people were very nice

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you did not know the answer to something on a project that had a short deadline?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

open house, live interview where two of the interviewers were over the telephone. I was not expecting to have a phone interview when I had driven in to Boston for this. I had met the interviewers at the Open House, and feel that it was deceptive. They were both in the offices where they worked during the interview. The final interviewer made me feel uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• asked me if there had ever been a situation at work that was very bad for morale   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was straight forward. 2 cases 2 behavioral. Back to back interviews with a 15 min break. Any mathematical calculation error on cases will through you out of the game. Nice people. In my second case interview, the interviewer came 8 minutes late but left on time! Could not get enough time to reach the recommendation of the case.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

Received a quick phone call from HR and then a coding test on HackerRank. The HackerRank test consisted of the following:
    Coin change problem, a coin flipping problem, and a NLP problem,

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm for the following: Coin change problem, a coin flipping problem, and a NLP problem,   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Position was for a Data Scientist position at Capital One labs. The experience was immature on their part. The person who was my point of contact took four days to respond to an introduction from a more senior employee. She asked me one question and wouldn't tell me about the role over email. After not responding with questions because they were already answered, I was basically ruled out as a candidate. One email exchange in which I was terse ruined it apparently.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very extensive. The first task was to complete an online coding challenge, consisting of three programming questions of varying difficulty, with a 3 hour time limit. The second task was a technical phone screening with a Capital One data scientist. The third task was a data science challenge consisting of two problems, the first involved creating a model trained on a large set of data, and the second involved reading in a large amount of data on baby names and drawing insights from it.

After these tasks were completed successfully, I was brought in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was an all-day affair beginning at 9am, and it consisted of five one-hour interviews. Two of the interviews were behavioral interviews, two were case interviews, and one was a technical interview. The case interviews weren't true consulting-style case interviews (as I was afraid they would be), but instead were a series of math problems related to Capital One's ventures. Also, in my case, most of the interviews were done over video conferencing. There was also a lunch hour where I met with a current data scientist at Capital One, but that was more informal.

After performing well on the all-day in-person interviews (as I was told I did), I was brought in a second time for two hours to meet with two data science team managers. I was told these were "job fit" interviews. Both managers decided I was not a good fit on their teams. The entire process, from initial contact by the recruiter to ultimate rejection, was about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview questions:

"Tell me about a time you sought out somebody else's expertise."

"Tell me about a time you persuaded somebody to implement a solution when they didn't think there was a problem."

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Applied through my school's website, received an interview at my school. Recruiters were very friendly. I found out 3 days later that I wasn't invited to their power day. Their case interviews are practical and real world based, not too abstract like others.

TechnologyRole Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Flown out to on-site interview. Three 1 hour interviews back to back. Interviewers were nice, except one. They were very organized, and timely. Be prepared for the case interview, and remember to ask a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you explained something technical to a non-technical person?
      Study linked list questions