Capital One Interview Questions

1,747 Interview Reviews

3.2

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

A friend of mine referred my resume and within 2 days I got a call from recruiter, it's a phone screening asking about my willingness to relocate, some info about the position, and scheduled a on-site interview for me. On the interview day, there were 8 of us interviewing and none of us made it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• How's the contact lens market in the US. (Then the interviewers provided some details to calculate revenue, profit, and asked some percentage changes of the answers I got)   Answer Question

Relationship Banker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Hiring process takes forever and interview was through a one way video which I think they don't even bother looking at. I was turned down the job because they had better candidates which I can understand but I have been to many Capital One branches being one of their customer and believe me, how they choose their employees baffle me. They are the less informed bunch of employees I have ever dealt with. By the way soon to be Chase customer.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome an uninterested customer to make a sale?   Answer Question

Senior IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a very unpleasant process. It took more than two months. First applied online with internal referral, received a call from recruiter (without email first) for a different position in the same big team. Then asked to take three online assessment: personality, verbal, and number. Passed the exam, then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. I did not have background in the position, but she was interested in solid technical background. Two days later, the recruiter scheduled the onsite interview (power day), but the recruiter did not provide the detail interview schedule till the day before the interview. Two behavior interviews, Two job interviews. During the interview, the hiring manager wanted to make sure I would be interested the job. The hiring manager suggested to have a phone call with the position I originally applied. One weekly later, the recruiter called me to schedule an phone interview with another hiring manager next morning. The interviewer was not the person the recruiter told me. One week later, the recruiter told me both team were interested in me, the SVP wanted to have a coffee with me. The SVP was half our later for the coffee talk, the conversion went fine, he just asked several questions on my resume. After the conversation I checked in with the recruiter three times, she did not provide any update. Two weeks later, the recruiter called me with no offer and no feedback. After the onsite power day, they hold me more than 1 month. This is the most weird interview in my 15 years working experience.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time, you have trouble to meet deadline, how did you do?   Answer Question

Loan Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was good, but they put hiring freezes 2 times and once called me on the DAY OF interview to cancel. May not seem like a big deal but to a person with a child who has to make arrangements it can be.

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview process was lengthy because they had trouble following up with scheduling interview and informing me of the final decision. I was never contacted in a timely manner and had to contact the recruiter often.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview included a (maximum) 30 minute length case interview. The case was fairly straightforward (not designed to trick you). Going into these, don't anticipate a case interview like what you see with typical consultancies, Cap One is much more focused on real world, manageable and relevant solutions. The interviewer was very helpful, knowledgeable, and easy to work with as I went through the case. Also very open to questions during the extra time at the end of the interview. I am currently on the FINAL ROUND phase of Capital One.

Interview Questions

• You own a mini golf course: 1. What are examples of promotions you can use to increase business? 2. Then I was given a set of numbers regarding revenue, traffic, and costs and I was asked to determine the current profit per day, and then consider how that would change if more customers were added. 3. Asked about a potential promotional plan and how that plan will impact profitability. 4. Asked about a variant on that plan and how it will impact profitability. 5. Asked to make a managerial recommendation as to which plan is preferable.   Answer Question

Teller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I applied for teller position on the official site, and they got back to me the next day morning saying I will be interviewed online. The online interview was a single way interview where you will be asked several questions like describe one time where you encounter a rude customer, and you record your answer in 3 minutes. Remember dress up business casual.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience more than 6 months involving face-to-face customer service?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I just got to the first screening. The interviewer was rude and very pretentious. I left without getting her card because it completely turned me off to the company. That's all I have to say. Though I have heard positive things about the companies facilities and I do believe/hope this interviewer was not representative of the culture.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in March to submit an application. The process was similar as described in some of the newer posts: there are 3 rounds before the on-site interview: first a HackerRank online coding test, then a technical phone screen by a data scientist, lastly a data analysis coding challenge containing a small machine learning question and a larger data analysis question. The bar in those 3 rounds were not very high and you likely would pass by not getting all the correct answers. I for one didn't get full credit for the HackerRank test. I think I did pretty well on the phone screen(the interviewer told me on the spot that I passed) and the coding challenge (recruiter said that the senior data scientist reviewing my work was "impressed"). But that's where my luck ended. The onsite interview was a full day, 6 sessions with 2 case interviews, 2 behavioral interviews and 2 job fit/technical interviews. The problems in the case interviews and the behavioral interviews were in line with what everybody else shared here. My performance was definitely not perfect in any of them, but I was able to generally finish all the questions in time with minor assistance from the interviewers. The 4 interviewers in the mourning were all nice and encouraging. Where I failed miserably was the two technical interviews in the afternoon. I assumed that based on my work experiences as a data scientist I'd be asked about more practical problem-solving or machine-learning related problems, but both interviewers still gave me very stylized, hit-or-miss trick questions (one about string manipulation and one about dynamic programming. those you would find on technical interview books, but would rarely use in a real-world setting, especially as a Data Scientist) which is more suitable for software engineers and/or wall street quants. I'd probably do much better when I was still in school and can dedicate my time for interview-prep, but at this point I was severely exhausted (not given any rest between interviews) and shocked I basically gave up. Thinking back, I was probably too naive to think that my work experience has exempted me from brain teasers. As long as there are too many people applying for the job, those questions will always have their places as justifications to eliminate candidates. The attitude of the two interviewers in the afternoon was also a bit strange. The first interviewer spent the first 10 minutes of the interview to basically suggest that since I mainly used R and SQL for my current job, I will not be able to quickly pick up newer tools like Python, Hadoop, Scala, etc. The second interviewer spent his first 10 minutes suggesting that he had never heard of the small company I work for now and that my modeling approach has some obvious flaws. After the tone of the interview was set, my failure in the technical questions became nothing but self-fulfilling prophecies. During my conversation with them I indeed found out my background to not be a perfect fit for the position, and I think they probably know it before the interview. However, rather than communicating it as a plain mismatch of expectations, they acted in a manner that made me feel professionally inferior and thus very uncomfortable. It's overall a very informative process and I got a very interesting glimpse on how big data will strategically play into the daily operation of a very large company, and what big data technologies are currently in demand. I just don't understand how I was able to advance so deeply into the interview process with such a misalignment of qualifications (I did both my HackeRank test and my coding challenge in R, which was enough hint for them to reject me if the choice of data analysis tool is really important). It's a waste of everybody's time.

Interview Questions

• Dynamic programming/backward induction on a multi-stage decision making problem   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

They mentioned that they are working on the data scientist interview process and figuring out how they want to do it so it may change, but this is how it went for me. I applied online to a listed opening. Phone call with HR-30 minutes, just reviewing my resume, and asking what languages I prefer. Phone call with current data scientist: about 45 minutes. Asked some questions to see if you knew what you were talking about with statistics (what sort of distribution would this be, explain SD/mean, etc.). Then a question about a data set and what some problems with it could be. Lastly walk through how you would solve a simple problem with map reduce. Data set-they sent a data set and said take about 24 hours to turn it around to them with some analysis using any language you like, and justify your answers. Some very basic questions (mode of data set, max/min, those sorts), then open-ended, "tell us something interesting". Never got feedback on this. On site: 2 case interviews: similar to what every other interview report has said. One was over Skype which was somewhat awkward as math had to be done on an iPad that they were watching from their end. 2 behavioral interviews: typical "tell me about a time when" questions. Only somewhat awkward as they take lots of notes which leaves some awkward silences. Lunch: they clearly set me up to eat with someone like me (age/background). Fine, good food! 2 technical interviews: one asking about how to conceptually solve a probability problem, one asking for pseudocode and then eventually actual code (language of choice) for a simple string manipulation problem. Overall a fine process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you took a risk   6 Answers