Capital One

1,198 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Interview process started with an on-campus interview, which was then followed with an on-site visit. The on-campus interviewed involved a simple case study. The on-site visit consisted of 2 case studies and 1 behavioral interview

Interview Question – Not a business major, the case studies were a little difficult for me.   Answer Question

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is thorough but very slow. You end up meeting with several people individually one level above and then go for a third interview with the next level manager. The questions asked are fairly standard for the industry. Salary negotiation was easy as we were both in the same area.

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation we were on common ground. Met with three different levels of supervisors. The questions were basic form questions. The process did seem to drag out over a long period of time. I received the same feedback from others who interviewed. Salary was quickly agreed upon.

Anonymous Interview

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – Very efficient and detailed - interviewed on phone with hiring manager - then 3 interviews face to face with offer few days later. Recruiter was great, and each interviewer made me feel comfortable

Interview Question – Biggest weakness   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
    (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
    (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
    (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.
      View Answers (2)
  • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
    (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
    (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
    (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
    (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
    (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
    (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
    (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
    (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.
      View Answers (2)

Inbound Sales Associate Interview

Inbound Sales Associate
Newark, DE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through a referral. Maybe about a week later on a Friday I received an email to schedule for a phone Interview. I scheduled for Monday, phone interview went well. The recruiter was helping and even gave me feedback on our discussion. He then scheduled me for a face to face interview that Friday. The interview was with 2 managers. Both seemed nice. First guy was really nice and very engaging. Second woman was more dry, not a woman with many words which kind of made it a little awkward from speaking to one person with a lot of energy to someone that gives the awkward silence. She spent most of our time together jotting notes. They explained the role of the position and obviously their questions were to assess how you would be a great fit for the role. They inquire about your previous work experience, your responsibilities, and how your experience could possibly make you an asset to the company.

Interview Question – I was most prepared for questions relating to my success with company, more so on the positives of my experience. Unfortunately I cannot remember all of the questions but one question in particular that gave me pause was "was there a time where you made a commitment to something and could not follow through with it?"...I guess i've never been asked that question before in my life lol took me some time to get my thoughts together.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Software Engineer Internship
Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Initially spoke to recruiters at a career fair at my university. I hit it off with one of the recruiters, and she took my information. I applied for an on campus interview through my school's career center.

On campus interview was a 45 minute session. Spoke to the recruiter about technology/programming in general. He asked some standard behavioral questions. Got an email an hour after the on campus inviting me to second rounds in Richmond.

Richmond interview had three parts- behavioral, case interview, and job fit (technical interview). Fairly standard technical interview for Sofware Engineering positions. Case interview was more business based (scenario driven, perform calculations, make recommendations). Behavioral was fairly standard, with some "tell me about a project when...".

Interview Question – Nothing too too terrible. Was a bit thrown off by the way the Case Interviewer started asking questions. Once I understood what she was actually asking, it wasn't a difficult case to analyze. Overall felt fairly average throughout the interview, not great, not terrible. Got a call two days later with an offer.   Answer Question

Teller I Interview

Teller I
Metairie, LA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initially, I was contacted by an out-of-state recruiter to schedule a phone interview. On the day of the phone interview, she asked typical retail questions and at the end said that she would send a link to take a skills test online. After completing that test, the next day I received another call from the same recruiter to schedule an in-person interview a few days later. Arrived at the interview site and it was a two-phase interview. First I met with an HR lady and then with the regional manager. Typical retail questions again--plus a lot of personal, get-to-know-you type questions..nothing that I didn't feel prepared for or that I couldn't answer off the top of my head. It was very similar to the phone interview with the recruiter. That same day, I got a call from the recruiter again saying that they loved me and were going to offer me a starting pay of $12.22 an hour. I began completing my paid training the next week. They tried to place everyone as close to their home branch as possible.

Interview Question – Why, after all of your experiences in very different organizations do you want to be a teller and why Capital One?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really any negotiation. They just told me what I'd be making.

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

Senior Operations Analyst
Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview - case interview.

Interview Question – Phone case interview: The company has an online document centre which keeps track of all of the info about its customers. We offered our customers a free option to enroll in e statements and stop receiving paper statements. The enrollment numbers are below our expectations. We want to launch a marketing campaign. What are some of the factors that you would consider to design such a campaign? List them and briefly explain.

Now, I have some data for you. The marketing dept has determined that it would send across 150,000 emails to customers based on two different strategies. Each email costs 25 cents and the lifetime savings for each customer enrolled will be $20. For the first strategy, the customer receives a one time statement credit of $15 and under the second strategy, the customer receives a credit of $5. Which strategy would you prefer and why?

When asked about response rates, the interviewer gave response rates of 15% and 10% for the two strategies.
  Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Senior Data Analyst

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – the process was okay. they make u fly to VA. they do not care for skills. Ask to work on case studies. the interview takes place for 4 - 5 hrs. before onsite they look for ur quantitative aptitude

Interview Question – Case about the credit card accounts   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – After being contacted on the phone, I was flown into Dallas to interview. 3 rounds; 2 case, 1 behavioral. The case interviews required out of the box thinking, the behavioral followed the usual STAR format.

Interview Question – The case studies can be quite challenging, its good to practice with McKinsey style questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations