Capital One Interview Questions

1,564 Interview Reviews

3.2

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Position was for a Data Scientist position at Capital One labs. The experience was immature on their part. The person who was my point of contact took four days to respond to an introduction from a more senior employee. She asked me one question and wouldn't tell me about the role over email. After not responding with questions because they were already answered, I was basically ruled out as a candidate. One email exchange in which I was terse ruined it apparently.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very extensive. The first task was to complete an online coding challenge, consisting of three programming questions of varying difficulty, with a 3 hour time limit. The second task was a technical phone screening with a Capital One data scientist. The third task was a data science challenge consisting of two problems, the first involved creating a model trained on a large set of data, and the second involved reading in a large amount of data on baby names and drawing insights from it.

After these tasks were completed successfully, I was brought in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was an all-day affair beginning at 9am, and it consisted of five one-hour interviews. Two of the interviews were behavioral interviews, two were case interviews, and one was a technical interview. The case interviews weren't true consulting-style case interviews (as I was afraid they would be), but instead were a series of math problems related to Capital One's ventures. Also, in my case, most of the interviews were done over video conferencing. There was also a lunch hour where I met with a current data scientist at Capital One, but that was more informal.

After performing well on the all-day in-person interviews (as I was told I did), I was brought in a second time for two hours to meet with two data science team managers. I was told these were "job fit" interviews. Both managers decided I was not a good fit on their teams. The entire process, from initial contact by the recruiter to ultimate rejection, was about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview questions:

"Tell me about a time you sought out somebody else's expertise."

"Tell me about a time you persuaded somebody to implement a solution when they didn't think there was a problem."

Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview by HR, followed by one full day interview (2 case + 1 behavioral + 1 with sr VP(contingent doing well in previous interviews). Though it is described as quant based interview. It requires very basic math. Floor culture was fairly open and casual. Seems like nice place to work. They are starting out in Chicago after buying HSBC partnership business hence most people were new at the location and were excited about the facilities. They provide ample opportunity to know the firm better and find your fit. The process is very straight forward, one of the best I have ever seen. At the end of the day, one knows whether she or he has been selected or not.. Thats the best part about it. Interview runs for the full day and can be exhausting ! Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

• 2 Case interview. Mainly focusing on profit, what do you think about the firm in case?   1 Answer

Technology Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted Resume and Cover Letter Online. Basic programming questions online. They then called me on-site to do an interview. Three interview- a behaviourial, a case, and a technical. The recruiters were very kind in all three and they weren't overly difficult. Make sure you are able to go into depth on the behaviourial one. Overall good experience despite no offer for work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you persuaded someone to see it your way.   Answer Question

Senior Fraud Intake Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I applied on 2/7 Sat, status changed to scheduling phone interview. The following Monday 2/9 I received a call from a recruiter, missed her call so the next morning she returned my call. I had a roughly 15 min phone interview where she told me about the position and asked me about why I'm leaving jobs and such, also a behavioral question. She advised that I passed that stage and that I should expect a call from her that week to schedule an in person interview. I received a call Thursday advising of an interview about a week and a half away. The interview was only 4 behavioral/situation questions. I got a call the next day in the morning telling me I got the job! I start in March.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with an upset customer?
      Name a time an unexpected situation arrived at work and how did you handle it?

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Apply online though the captal one online application. But the job opportunity is actually sent out by our department chair. So I do not know whether that is an advantage to get the interview or not. I submit the online application in Feb and by the end of feb. I received an email asking me to give them time available for the phone interview

Interview Questions

• Some basic statistics concept like what is the p value?
      And a case interview ask you to minimize the profit. It is quite challenging to get what they want to you to answer.

1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Applied through my school's website, received an interview at my school. Recruiters were very friendly. I found out 3 days later that I wasn't invited to their power day. Their case interviews are practical and real world based, not too abstract like others.

TechnologyRole Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Flown out to on-site interview. Three 1 hour interviews back to back. Interviewers were nice, except one. They were very organized, and timely. Be prepared for the case interview, and remember to ask a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you explained something technical to a non-technical person?
      Study linked list questions

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

After a half hour phone interview I was invited to Richmond for a "Super Day" type interview.

Prepare to be wooed. Stayed at the Hilton and got a full tour of their Google/Space City "Campus" which includes perks like an onsite chiropractor and various full sized athletic fields.

Note: I'm a liberal arts grad, and was the only one from our group of 14 that powerday. The first case was about de/re-regulating a utilities market and the effect it would have on price. This one was easy since you can propose and evaluate methods of regulating markets through other real-world examples (ex: power, water, cable, airlines) and the math was simple. I was only asked 3 behavioral questions, so I would pick robust examples. The last case was far more difficult and was essentially a series of math problems in a general business context. The case included solving for profits, break-even and possibly a maximization/curve, which is where I got stuck.

All three interviewers I met with had masters in statistics or engineering. I think this interview/position is certainly possible for a "creative" with some studying but is far better suited for a "quant".

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to learn to get to an objective.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was first a behavioral interview on campus and then proceed onto onsite technical and job fit interviews. I was first asked general behavioral questions about working in groups, and then hardest projects, programming languages, and what type of software engineering position I was interested in. There were about eight questions. Did not pass behavioral round.