Capital One

Updated Feb 25, 2015
1,466 Interview Reviews

3.2

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

Applied through university and accepted on-campus interview. 30 minute case interview, no behavioral. The case was very numerically based. Although there was time at the end for questions, it was very limited.

FinanceProgram Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

I applied through Campus Recruiting Center.The first round was an on campus 45 minute case interview. Cases are very straight forward but very quant heavy. Question will most likely be on profit analysis or entering a new market.

Interview Questions
    • Aside from the case you will be asked a "why capital one/finance" and at the end you will have about 10 minutes to ask questions.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

I applied the data scientist position on the company website. It took about a week to get a phone interview. The HR asked very basic question and let you introduce yourself, including academic and working experience, career plan. Beside also ask you to evaluate your programming skill about R, SAS, Python.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about internship experience and school project experience.
      which programming language is more comfortable with?
      future career plan.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

first round is through campus recruit. submitted applications and had interview on campus. the interviewer is also an alum, so the communication process is ok. The final round is on-site interview in Richmond VA

Interview Questions
    • how to do data cleaning/ do you have any questions for us   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

Applied through campus recruiting website. Got email from HR to set up phone interviews. Questions are a mix of basic statistics - Multicollinearity , CI, P-value, - and two cases. The interviewer does not really ask too much about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • you are given a data set of alumni donation with 5000 predictors, we want to know how you will predict whether a given alumni will donate or not. What would you do   Answer Question

Bank Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

I applied for this position online, which included general application information and a lengthy behavioral assessment. Two days after passing the behavioral assessment, I got a call from a recruiter. She asked if I'd be interested in a phone interview, and we scheduled it for the next day. The phone interview was not really an interview, just a conversation to see if I was interested and if I'd be a good fit. After establishing my strong interest in the position, she scheduled an on-site interview.

My interview was two parts, as there were 3 positions open in the same area. The first was one-on-one and very enjoyable, and there were two interviewers present for the second part. The questions were behavioral, and as others have said it is great to stick to the STAR method. As Capital One's career site says, they are looking for a conversation, so it is not uncomfortable like some other interviews can be.

I was told that it would take a week to get a decision, but got an offer that evening. I was then sent some paperwork to sign, and a background check form (post-offer application). The background check took about 4 days. For my position, the whole process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - all of them were "Think of a time when..." type questions.   View Answer
    The salary was non-negotiable.

Teller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

I applied online. I was contacted within 2 days by email for a digital interview by hirevue. I guess that's the new interview process for capital one. There's 15 questions some are a written response. If you pass the digital interview the recruiter will contact you to go into the branch for one on one interview. It's only been about 2 days and I'm still waiting for a follow up.

Interview Questions
    • Why capital one?
      What are your goals 2 - 3 yrs from now and how will capital one help you?

Teller Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

Applied over a week ago online and then received a digital interview from Hirevue. It told me to complete it within 2 business days. I am still waiting to hear back from the recruiter. I don't think Ill get a call they probably didn't like my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why capital one?
      How would you explain a complex problem to someone?

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

They put me one the speaker while talking. Basic statistics questions about mean, SD, CI, multicollinearity(with some other information).
    normal distributed, SD=10, what you can get from this.
    CI 95% 5% 6%, explain.
    something about respond rate(forgot)
    If you impute the income by the mean, what will happen to the credit card company. Explain your answers. (Large amount of data or small amount, what will happen when lower income was replaced, how about higher income)
    Hope this will help and good luck.

Interview Questions
    • 500,000 alumnus make donations, 1,000 factors. Binary target. Go through the process of model setting.   Answer Question

Part Time Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

Capital One takes steps to hire the best they can. With that said, it took some time and effort to be offered the position. First I had to do an online prescreening which had very basic counting and math involved. They just started doing a new Pre interview process that is done by video in the comfort of your home. The video has pre recorded questions about specific customer service situations. This part was particularly tricky because they ask for specific examples and details, but give you a limited time to start recording your response. The good thing is that it allows you to re-record once or twice. I can't stress enough that they want you to BE SPECIFIC. I thought I was pretty specific, but when I had talked to my recruiter, she said some of the managers thought my video was kind of vague. Anyway, after review and following up with my recruiter, I was scheduled an in person interview with the branch manager and lead teller. This interview was much easier, as the branch manager was very easy going and laid back. Some of the questions were similar, some were different, or asked specifics about my personally. Over all the experience was pleasant. Although I will say that Capital One is a company that thrives on providing not just the best customer service, but actually setting the standard...with that said, I was actually declined an in person interview several times at first. The key was consistently following up with the recruiter. Don't be afraid to follow up and let them know you really want the job. One of the reasons I was declined at first was because my school schedule. They assumed I couldn't work around it, but when I followed up with them and explained it was flexible, I got an interview soon after. Over all the process took 30-45 days, but that was partially because of my issue with school schedule.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had to provide excellent customer service?   Answer Question