Capital One

1,397 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in November 2014.

Applied through career services at target school and was given a first-round interview. First round was a 30 minute case interview on campus with an alum who is currently a VP. Within a few days I received an invitation to the Richmond campus for on-site interview (they covered all expenses). I had three 45 minute interviews in the morning, two more cases and one behavioral, generally with mid-level managers who went through the BA program. After a non-evaluative lunch and tour with current BA associates and a couple of other BA candidates, I was called back for a final round interview. The final round was a short case followed by some fit questions with a Managing VP who had been through the BA program. The recruiter for my university called two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I'm not at liberty to give specifics, but make sure that you keep the big picture in mind and avoid getting caught up in the calculations. It's important to get the right numbers but it is arguably more important to be able make a recommendation based on a broader understanding of the situation, especially in the on-site case interviews.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in November 2014.

Had first round interviews on campus. Consisted of two quant based case interviews. Fly outs had three interviews at first, two were case based and one behavioral. Then they asked me to stay for one more interview, it was another case interview. Typical cases dealt with subscription policies and profitability analyses. Usually the cases had a correct answer to get to.

Interview Questions
    • A case about introducing a new credit card product to the market.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate, it was pretty standard offer for everyone. I felt like it was very fair.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Applied on their website, phone screened by recruiter with 5 easy math questions.

Then was invited for an on-site interview with 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews.

Behavioral questions are(they are allowed to be taken out, and I had them written down on paper, so these questions are exact):
    tell me a time when
    1. you called on an expert for their expertise
    2. successfully avoided an obstacle to deliver a project on time
    3. learnt something new to accomplish a project
    4. had to turn a general goal to a realistic plan
    5. responsible for implementing a new project/process. better use an example that involved someone else
    6. had to take significant risk to sell an idea when others did not see the potential of the idea

Case questions are(the notes are not allowed to be taken out, but ok if by memory):
    1. Capital One is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

2. You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?

Then when they decided to give you an offer, you'll be arranged to be called by the director of the department you'll be assigned to.

Very much thank to the 998 Glassdoor interview reviews when I was preparing the interview. I've read 600+ of them, all about Analysts and even some of Tellers and Managers, Directors interviews. Get yourself familiar with the cases here, none of actual cases will be from what you read but they all give you a sense of what it would be like so that you won't panic, that you won't fail on junior high school maths and basic economic logic. Prepare behavior questions accordingly and actual questions will be very similar. And even if they are quite different, be flexible and use your examples accordingly, emphasize the characters asked in the actual question, NOT WHAT YOU PREPARED.

I read 600+ of the 1000 reviews here and I rated the interview to be easy. If you believe me and thought the interview will be easy, HAVE YOU DONE WHAT I'VE DONE?

Good luck! See you in Capital One!

Interview Questions
    • Prepare 6-7 situations for behavioral questions and be flexible if they questions is not asked in the way as you are prepared. Try to find the character they asked from your prepared examples. Cases are easy, if you make mistake and feel your answer is awkward, ask for help and modify your calc. I did make a mistake. It was a typo carried to next step's calc. And I found out and asked for help, and found out what's wrong with the formula I wrote.   View Answers (2)
    I did try to negotiate but frankly speaking, the salary is fair for the location I am placed. I had orally accepted the offer and is in process of signing and background check. If you want a life-time company, and/or a graduate company, here it goes.

Finance Rotation Associate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Capital One.

The process moved very smoothly and quickly. Since I was not a candidate from a core school that they recruit, I did not have an interview until the final selected round at one of the locations. Be prepared for a case interview--they place a lot of emphasis on that in comparison to the other behavioral and job fit interview.

Technology Development Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I was initially contacted by a former peer who now works at Capital One. The company was coming to my university's job fair, and so I applied online after he prompted me to do so, waited for a response, ended up getting an "alternative" interview status, so couldn't interview on campus. They flew me out a week later to Richmond where I was able to interview on-site and explore their campus to a degree. I liked the culture - it really is more like a tech company that just so happens to provide services in the banking industry. The attendants, engineers, and interviewers all make you feel comfortable throughout the experience.

The interviews comprised of three stages: 1) a case interview, which presents a business situation for which you must do some basic analysis and provide a recommendation at the end; 2) a behavioral interview asking questions in the form "tell me a time when you..."; and 3) a technical interview. I found the case interview to be extremely easy to logic your way through, and the behavioral interview was pretty typical / standard. You might want to have your resume at hand to remember some of the projects you've worked on, before the behavioral interview begins, it helps a lot.

The technical interview is the difficult part. If you don't understand Java and concepts in Java, you might be doomed. This includes some know-it-or-you-don't short-answer / free response questions. The majority of it, though, is a coding question where they'll give you a X data structure and ask you to implement Y method - it'll be in Java, but they'll ask you to implement it in whatever language you feel comfortable. But clearly you'll have an advantage if you know java.

Interview Questions
    • know your typical data structures -- hashtables / maps, linked lists, trees   Answer Question

Principal Data Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Online interview: Basic compsci and probability questions. Takes between 10-60 minutes.

Phone interview: More of the same, a bit of experimental design. Gave me a model and asked for any criticism.

Didn't make it past this stage.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

I applied through the campus recruiting at my website. The interviewer hands you a case and you have thirty minutes where you run through the case, which typically tests you on your analytical and communication skills. I stumbled a little bit so I asked a couple of clarifying questions and they were very nice in helping guide me through the process.

Interview Questions
    • The calculations that you had to do for the case were far more difficult than the practice examples that they give you. It definitely was a lot more analytical than I had predicted.   Answer Question

Automation Testing Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

1. The recruiter called and asked for basic background information and sent me an email which contained the link to assessments required.
    2. Once you get through the assessment, a technical phone interview was scheduled.
    3. The interview was on agile methodologies, my past experience, etc
    4. Once you clear that you are invited to an onsite interview(But I did not get there)

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult they expect the candidate to have good understanding of their past experience and focus more on agile.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Submitted my application online through University Hiring site and was contacted for an on campus interview.

Went over the videos they sent and the interview was rough. I had never done a mock case interview except practicing with the videos and felt very ill equipped. I am a statistics major so the math was easy but figuring out what he was trying to get at was not.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't remember what brought about the question but he just asked me what is the largest expense for a bank. It seemed to have no effect on any part of the case at all and it really didn't but we spent 5 minutes just talking about that. It really confused me.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

Everyone seemed really happy. Rapid expansion, almost everyone I talked to had only been at they company less than a year. I had an inbound invitation to come interview and was pursued heavily.

Interview Questions
    • Incredibly long and frustrating application process that was incredibly unnecessary. They probably invested $2,000 in the job application process before eventually turning me down.   Answer Question