Capital One Interview Questions

1,696 Interview Reviews

3.2

Summer Analyst- Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Melville, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Met up with my recruiter who then followed me into the conference room. Then I was interviewed by 5 people ranging from Senior Director, Risk Managers, Operational Director and 2 Associates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you worked hard at something and it didn't turn out the way you wanted to?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you analyzed data?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with confidential information?   Answer Question
    • What kind of capital structure can be determined from these financial statements? What is the pattern?   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

For an Internal hire, there are two case interviews and require that the candidate pass in both. For external hire, the process is called Power Day. There will be three cases and two behavioral interviews. Required to pass 2 cases and not sure about the behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate Break Even Point? What are some of the costs involved in running a business? How to calculate Net Value of the customer and Profit based on specific products?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (Melville, NY).

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter by phone few days later. Ask me about experiences and goals for the future. I passed the phone interview even though I did not have the experience they were looking for, but I have my licenses. I passed the assessments and I was booked for a one on one interview with a sales manager.
    The interview only lasted about 15 mins. The impression I got from the interviewer besides waiting on him past the scheduled time was, that I was not taken serious and like if I was wasting his time.. Asked me a few quest like my weaknesses, my strengths etc.
    I was told that, I'll go for a second round of interview and two days later I got a call from the same recruiter saying that, they went with a experienced person..

Interview Questions

• You sitting with a client and you noticed that all he has is a fixed annuity paying 3.5%. What would you say and do for the client?   1 Answer

Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

One general interview at school before flying onsite. On site interviewers were much older than typical interviewers for technical positions. For one of my interviews, my interviewer seemed like she strongly disliked interviewing. Resulted in quite an awkward interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Done on campus recruiting. First interview is fairly easy. They asked a question if you owned a taxi service. Quantitative part is fairly easy if you know basic algebra and can do some problem solving. Also asked some business questions, but really basic like if this was this was the best investment.

Interview Questions

• If you have a taxi service with x drivers who you pay y amount per drive, how much do you make in a day.   Answer Question

Lab Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

The interview process is lengthy but pretty quick. I had 2-30 minute phone interviews and then was flown out to take part in a 'superday.' This was a mix of behavioral and regular interviews back to back with a couple breaks and lunch. After passing that round, I had 2 more phone interviews with the 'higher ups' discussing my portfolio and my approach. The recruiter is quick at responding and scheduling.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was an very well organized but intense interview process. It started with a preliminary phone interview, followed by a hiring manager phone interview. Once the initial screening and qualification process was complete there was a number of on-line competencies tests. After passing the competency test there was a full day of in-person behavioral interviews in Richmond, VA.

Technology Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Capital One does not recruit for technology positions at my school, but they do recruit for Business Analysts. I contacted the Business Analyst recruiter and expressed interest in Capital One technology positions. She passed my resume along to the tech recruiter who scheduled an on-site interview in Richmond, VA. I think generally there is a phone screen/on campus round, but Capital One seems to be expanding their tech department at such a rapid pace, that they are willing to bring people onsite based solely on their Resume. The onsite interview day is very organized and well structured. You arrive around 11 am and are given a tour of the facilities, followed by a lunch buffet. The interviews commence after lunch. They consist of three separate interviews, a Case Interview, Behavioral Interview, and a Job Fit (Technical) interview. The case dealt with the creation of new banking technologies in light of increased government regulations post 2008 financial crisis. This is basic algebra and is quite easy, just explain your thoughts and the interviewer will guide you. The behavioral questions were very typical. What was atypical though, was that there were only three questions and 45 minutes to answer them. Take time to think before answering the questions because a very thorough explanation is expected. The job fit interview consisted of technical questions and questions relating to you interests within the company. This was one of the easiest on site technical interviews I have had. Basic linked list questions and some OOP questions. I believe there was a single debugging/interpreting code question. You are given 45 minutes to answer these as well, any competent programmer shouldn't need more than 35 (I don't claim to be an exceptional programmer and was done within 15 minutes). I interviewed on a Friday and was given an offer on a Monday. It is a very generous offer, and depending on my status with other companies I am likely to accept it. The only downside to the whole experience was that many of the other interviewees seemed relatively unintelligent and strange. I do not know whether any of these people received an offer, but the fact that they were at a final round/on site reflected poorly on the company.

Interview Questions

• Linked List questions - find the kth to last element (do this in linear time, I talked to kids who were doing it in n^2 which is ridiculous). Overload and Overriding, debugging.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Very straightforward. It was three interviews. One behavioral (very teamwork oriented), one case study (there are a lot of practices online and through Capital One's website) and one coding interview. The case interview isn't challenging if you can think through the process and show all the data you are dealing with.

Interview Questions

• For the coding: How to find a specific part of a linked list (from the end).   Answer Question

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Laurel, MD).

Interview

First, they do a virtual interview where they ask you questions and you record your answers on the video. This is a one-way interview, so no one is on the other side so you can do it anywhere you can. Then after this you wait for a response from HR and they let you know that they sent the video to the hiring managers. If they like what they see, then they will call you to schedule the in person interview. Then they call you if you have the job, they called me the same day of my interview.