Capital One

Updated May 13, 2014

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Very Long and very indecisive. After 2 months still no decision . Sent follow up email and no response. I dont think they are very responsive and have to many people applying for a vey limited amount of positions

Interview Question – Pretty straightforward   Answer Question

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – Initial phone call with recruiter followed by online assessment and then phone interview with hiring manager. Next step was "power day" of interviews on site. I am currently employed in another city, and the recruiter was difficult to work with to schedule the appointment. She told me it would likely be one of two dates and to save the dates but I never heard from her. Then it was supposed to be the following week but again... nothing. All the while, I was trying to keep my schedule free at my current job, which was not easy. She finally called me and apologized for the delays and said they wanted to bring me in less than 48 hours later, which I could not do due to the logistics of getting to their office as well as my existing work obligations. (she did not offer to help with travel arrangements) Apparently they wanted to bring all candidates in on the same day. While everyone I spoke with was friendly, I wish they could've been more flexible with scheduling the interview.

Interview Question – not a specific question but: short notice for interviews   Answer Question

Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, online test, on site interview. The on site interview include case interview, job fit interview, and behavior interview.

Interview Question – Case interview is difficult.   Answer Question

Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Interview process started with a leadership test and a math test (very difficult). Next phase involved multiple behavioral interviews which may or may not include a job-fit interview. Then I ended my interview process with an interview very much focused on analytical thinking (think of it as one math, word problem). The most difficult part of my process had to do with negotiating salary and relocation money with the recruiter. My advice is to get as much as you can upfront because this could be the last time you as an employee are in the driver's seat.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was probably the part of my interview process that focused on analytical thinking (the math, word problem).   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Very difficult.

Interview Question – Case interview question. Had several. Was given some percentages, sime stats, and some information. Had to walk through solution, create graph and create equation for profit in front of interviewer. Had to do this 3 times.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in July 2011.

Interview Details – You will apply and talk to recruiters that are either new to the company or are a contractor from outside. They are very slow to respond. If you apply to a position and it gets filled, your application will not carry over to the new available requisition. You should apply again. The interview process is relatively easy if you have management experience. Don't think the person interviewing you has a lot of interviewing experience though. They read a lot of questions from a script.

Interview Question – They want to know about your behaviors. Learn a coaching model   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They try to lowball you. Never give them a salary range up front. Ask for the best offer. Then always negotiate for 5k more. I received 2500 which is what I expected.

Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Everyone needs to pass a test that is adjusted to the level of position you are applying for and leads to face-to-face interviews.
2 behavioral interviews, one case study and interviews by hiring manager and the group who's hiring. The hiring manager/group has the final word, even if you don't do so great on the behavioral and case interviews.

Interview Question – The case: profitability of credit cards. Not hard itself but stressful.   Answer Question

Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview Details – My initial interview was with an HR recruiter - a basic telephone screening. Based on that, she set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager. Once that hurdle was cleared, I took the mandatory Capital One assessment tests - SHL type Verbal and Numerical Reasoning and a Personality test. They were much harder than I expected but thankfully I passed. The next step is an onsite interview at the campus in Richmond - I'll post an update once that takes place.

Interview Question – Would you describe yourself as persuasive?   Answer Question

Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in July 2010.

Interview Details – Skills test over internet. Then a one-one with four interviewers.

Interview Question – A case question on credit card industry   View Answer

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2009.

Interview Details – Case interview was very industry specific and they relied heavily on case interview performance in determing whether to give offer. Of the three people I interviewed with, one was nice, one was aloof and one was a jerk.

Interview Question – Case interview about economics of credit card collections.   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!