Capital One Interview Questions in McLean, VA

3.1

86 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Cash Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Capital One in May 2012.

recruiter phone interview, then hiring manager phone interview, then in face interview with several individuals for a full day

Interview Questions
    • case interview..took longer than I thought..   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

The process begins with a phone screening. If you pass that, then you take a series of online tests, one of which is personality. You should be told what these tests are, and if two of them are numerical and verbal reasoning, know that there are practice tests available on the web and it is in your interest to practice before taking them. The tests will determine if you make it to the next step. What they don't tell you ahead of time is if you don't "pass" you can't apply for another job in the same job family for six months. And the "job family" for a position is not posted anywhere! Don't know the next steps because the tests said I wasn't a fit.

Interview Questions
    • The phone screening is logical and fair, no particularly difficult or unusual questions.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

on campu interview which involved a case interview

Principal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

The process leading up to the onsite interview is easy. A 30min convo with a recruiter who does most of the talking selling you on Capitalone. Then you get a test which is straight forward and some materials for the interview prep. 2 1-on-1 case interviews which are straight forward not formal consulting cases, you do not need a lot of prep beyond understanding capital ones business some. 2 1-on-1 behavioral interviews that take a really deep dive into only a few questions, mostly team work stuff. All interviews are 30min.

Interview Questions
    • case question on outsourcing customer service to India instead of doing it in-house   View Answer
    • Case on cross selling to customers new products like phone cards   View Answer
    It was difficult, they have hard guidelines on salary.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Initial phone screening, online assessment, then on-site interviews. The company provides various online resources to assist both with the online assessment and the interview process. Interviews were behavioral (situation, action, result) and case interviews. Lots of "give me an example" type of questions.

Case interview was not rocket science, but does require some analysis (i.e., a test of the relevant business concepts rather than advanced math). The pre-interview advice that I received from a Cap One employee was to (i) keep it organized, (ii) talk out loud so the interviewer understands your thought process, (iii) ask questions (some information may not be initially provided), and (iv) more experienced candidates may have trouble "discarding reality".

Interview Questions
    • Cap One has a clearly defined process, which they tell you up front. If you do your homework, nothing should be a surprise.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Initital round of interviews was on campus. It consisted of one case interview, with more of a quantitative flavor than traditional cases. Final round interviews were on site, and consisted of 2 30-minute case interviews and 1 half hour behavioral interview. Hiring managers take an active role in contacting candidates and answering questions about the process.

Interview Questions
    • Case question about a new credit card product tailored to college students; asked to design a strategy for selling the product.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

i had four interviews, the last one with a senior person in the company. they ask you pretty basic math questions framed in a business context. if you're decent at math it shouldn't be a problem at all -- the only thing to watch out for is not being able to think due to nervousness or whatever

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Absolutely the worst on-campus interview experience I have ever had!

The recruiter was nice enough, as was the student alum. The 1:1 behavioral interview was a complete disaster. The interviewer had a frown on his face the entire time and read from his packet of interview questions.

He took a lot of notes and made absolutely no eye contact, and at the end when I asked him questions, he seemed extremely sheepish and reluctant. The feeling I got from the 1:1 interviewer was that he did not at all want to be there.

I feel like I wasted my morning to take the time for the interview - the interviewer was absolutely the most dour and rude interviewer I have ever encountered!

Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Capital One did a case workshop for first round interviewees at my university. First round interview was a one on one case that focused much more heavily on running through figures, though there was one twist that required qualitative analysis within the case. Those who were selected from first round batch were put through an online personality test and math/reading SAT-like test.

Second round interviewees were contacted a couple weeks later. The recruiter was very involved in working with second round applicants and called each one up individually. Second round interviews involved a behavioral interview and two case interviews. Similar format for the case interviews--heavily quantitative, but also with one or more qualitative understandings in order to complete the case.

Did not receive offer, but very good process overall.

Interview Questions
    • Find the breakeven point given a list of costs and revenues (or components thereof). Find it again if xyz variables change.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in January 2012.

Friend of an alumni from my university referred me into the firm. Was contacted by a recruiter about a month later to set up a phone screen interview. Asked about what I do, why I want to leave, what I want to do etc. typical fit interview. Passed me to take the online tests. Math, reading comp, personality. All pretty simple, don't have to answer all the math and reading comp.

Scheduled in person interivew just like every one else. had 4 (45 min ea) interviews in the morning, 2 case, 2 behavioral with Directors and then was asked to take another one in the afternoon with a VP. I was told the 5th one didn't really mean anything, it was just if there was someone who was also interested in interviewing me... Others have said that they do the 5th one if they're on the fence but I think I did really well in all my interviews so I think they bring on a VP and go on to the 5th if you pass the first 4. The VP said it was his only interview that day.

Behaviorals are just like everyone says, they only have 3 questions but will ask more indepth questions about your answers.

Case interviews were easier than managment consulting cases but definitley quantitatively driven like everyone has said. That's not to say they won't ask you of ways to improve profit or other ideas. They give you data and you try to figure out break even and profit rates. Then they manipulate the data and you solve again. Make sure to explain everything you are doing... I literally said these are both costs which I'm adding together and subtracting from these revenues which equals the profit of X.... i was asked to make a graph of profit v quantity... (simple).... The math on the cases is simple, the only somewhat difficult part is coming up with the algebraic forumla to solve it... you need to know how the variables work together. I got a bit stuck coming up with a forumula and my interviewer helped me.

I think it's important to show that you're enjoying yourself and even if you get stuck don't show frustration. I maintained my confidence and enthusiasm even when I got tripped up.

Got the call a few days later that I passed.

Interview Questions
    • Case study about credit card application process   View Answer
    • Case study about credit card customers and their profitability.   View Answer
    I didn't really negotiate, the offer and signing bonus seemed pretty standard and in line with others I had heard. I am very happy with the offer and it is what I expected. I asked if there was room to move on the signing bonus (since I initially thought they were normally higher from what I heard but after more research I found out I was mistaken) but the recruiter said he would have to give a reason why I deserved more. Call them after the weekend and accepted.