Capital One Interview Questions in McLean, VA

Updated Jul 26, 2015

3.2

Principal Associate of Quantitative Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2013.

Interview

After you pass the screening you take a timed online test that is pretty tough. If you are invited to the headquarters you will have a full day of interviews of which 2 cases, 2 job fits and one behavioral. The expectations are usually quite high and if you fail one of the cases you will not be made an offer.

Interview Questions

• You will get asked very specific questions about statistical models and how you would deal with data issues.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

I got a call from Capital One, basically intend to schedule the upcoming on site interview. I was send to McLean office for whole day interview. Two cases and one behavior. Cases are all about Capital One current business and product pricing strategy. I didn't get the chance to get to the final round which was supposed to be held after lunch. Actually for all seven candidates that day, Capital One basically didn't pick anyone.

Interview Questions

• I've never practice case interview before, feel a little bit overwhelming by the cases. They are not easy to handle.   Answer Question

Technical Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

Nice people, good questions, not very technical by my standard but pleasant. Be aware the people you interview with may not be the people you work with which may be a very large difference in your quality of life. They like positive upbeat people who are experienced in their area, they focus a lot on people skills and good fit.

Interview Questions

• Behavioural questions: how do you improve, good/bad experiences, difficult relationships   Answer Question

Senior Statistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied the position on the company website, received a phone interview, asked details about project listed on resume, some technique questions about linear regression, significance level, binary choice model

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

There was a first round interview on campus with a very straightforward break-even case. As long as you could do math and understood the basics of profitability it was really easy. The second round had three interviews in the morning (2 cases and 1 behavioral) and an afternoon case interview that only some candidates were given. The two morning cases were straightforward with one simple profitability case and another case about credit card profitability with different assumptions for the default rate. The behavioral interview was three questions off of the prep sheet they give you ahead of time followed by, "Why Capital One?" They said the afternoon interview wasn't good or bad, but I killed the first three interviews and was still asked to stay for the afternoon. This interview was given by a VP and was the hardest Capital One case I saw. It involved calculating multiple break-even points, drawing a graph, and understanding probability distributions.There was one portion that I struggled with at first, but the interviewer helped out with a few leading questions. At the end when I presented ways to potentially deal with a problem, he challenged my recommendation (specifically one word of the suggestion) and we got into an extended discussion in which I had to defend the recommendation. I wasn't happy that I'd needed some help with the case, but he said I did well. An hour and a half later, before I made it through airport security, I got a call from the recruiter offering the job. Two of the Capital One business managers I met at info sessions (and mentioned in my cover letter) contacted me over the weekend congratulating me on acceptance and the recruiter followed up on Monday. This high touch process combined with the caliber of people I met during the recruiting process made me feel like the company really valued me and that it'd be a place with work I'd want to do and people I'd want to work with.

Interview Questions

• Case details don't help. The difficult case required the ability to evaluate a business model, compare two pricing structures, calculate multiple break-even points, draw a graph, and an understanding of how different probability distributions could affect user behavior.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation went into the acceptance because the salary is great (basically a $70k annual salary prorated for the 10 weeks you work).

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Be prepared for a very tedious interview process. First you will be asked to take a GRE/GMAT style online test - if you do well, you will be phone screened, you ace that and then you will be called for an in-person interview. The in-person interview is a panel interview, expect 3-4 people on the panel.

Interview Questions

• Why do you like the most and dislike the most about the job you are interviewing for?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Final round cases were pretty straight forward, 3 behavioral questions plus one on why capital one.

Interview Questions

• One of the cases was harder than the other one, very quantitative   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

Started with an initial phone interview. The interviewer ran through a case with me. The case was fairly simple and math oriented, and unlike typical consulting cases had a correct answer. About a week later, I got an e-mail saying I was selected for the next round, which was a morning of interviews in their McLean office. There was a meet and greet at a hotel the night before. There were three interviews that morning. One was very similar to the phone interview, one was situational questions (Tell me of a time when ___), and one consisted of a market sizing question as well as a short brainteaser. Each was about 45 minutes. During that morning, there was also a tour of their campus, as well as lunch with current analysts.

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser: 100 lightbulbs question (You can find it online)   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in January 2013.

Interview

Recruiter will contact you for initial phone screen to tell you more about the application process. Will ask you about what you're looking for, salary requirements, and etc. No need to stress about this. Basically just have to play ball here, and not shoot yourself in the foot with outrageous salary or title demands to keep the process going. Their recruiters, at least the one I dealt with, are extremely fair, high-touch, and thorough. The interview process for this position is no walk in the park. 2 45 minute behavioral interviews, and two 45 minute case interviews. The cases are relatively straight-forward, but considerably more difficult than the easy cases they post on their website. You have to do well on the cases to get an offer.

Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in January 2013.

Interview

First, there is a brief phone screen to confirm identity and interest. Next, there is an online verbal, numerical and psych assessment that needs to be passed to be scheduled for an interview. There were three on-site interviews on the same day, two behavioral and one fit. The interviewers strictly follow a printed template with the most emphasis placed on the behavioral questions. The professionalism of the HR department is also worth noting.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult aspect is having at least six different concise and well rehearsed examples ready for answering all of the behavioral questions.   Answer Question