Capital One

59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Operation Analyst Interview

Operation Analyst
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a personality test. Once you pass that you move on to a congitive reasoning math and verbal exam online. Once passing that you get setup for a power day onsite. This consisted of a partial math reasoning exam, 2 case studies and 2 bahvioral interviews. The day is grueling and they take pride in their process. It seems that the process hinges on the case studies and I would recommend practicing as much as possible on algebra concepts as well as any case studies you can. It is a great experience but not one to take lightly.

Interview Questions

• Case study involving a decision about marketing costs for credit cards   Answer Question
  • case study involving call centers - this one was very difficult   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer was made with minimal negotiation necessary

Operations Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview Details – First need to take a test of both math and reasoning much like the SAT then if you pass that a very difficult case interview follows.

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through campus recruiting and was brought in for an on-campus case interview. This was followed by 2 online assessments - one behavioral and one quantitative. After these, I was invited for an on-site interview with some other OA candidates. We had 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview before lunch, and then a small handful of people, including myself, were kept after lunch for an additional case. I found out within a week that had received an offer.

Interview Question – I was super nervous for the case interviews, but unexpectedly, the behavioral interview threw me off more than the cases.

Name a time when you had to convince someone to do something that they did not want to do. (something along those lines)
  Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Had to complete online process first, involving math and technical questions. After that, was invited for an on campus case interview. The question was not too challenging but they are just trying to figure out how you think. Made it to the next round and they flew me out to South Carolina. Went through a power day of three case interviews and a behavioral interview.

Interview Question – The most difficult question asked was a case that involved many different credit card rates. Each new part of the problem introduced changed all of the previous steps so it was difficult to keep track of.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in March 2010.

Interview Details – There were several components to the interview process, but the hardest of which was the case study.

Once presented with a real world problem, I was asked to solve it with pen paper and use of a calculator.

The scenario is about reducing credit limits on their credit cards to limit exposure to risk (default on max credit amounts).

Interview Question – Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 how weird you are.   View Answers (15)

Richmond, VA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in June 2011.

Interview Details – The process took around 3 weeks. A HR contacted me and asked questions for general information. Then, she sent a couple of emails, which include instructions and the link of online test. As described by others, the online test has two parts, numeric test and verbal test. The numeric test is pretty difficulty mainly because of the ticking clock at the top of screen. The verbal test is much easier. Overall, the test is like GRE/GMAT.
On the same day, the HR sent another email and notified me that I passed the test.

The onsite interview was scheduled after two weeks. The arrangement was very professional. There was cab service picking at the airport, hotel and office campus.

There were four section in the interview, two for behavior questions and two for case study. The behavior questions were quite dummy. The case interview was difficult. Basic knowledge about finance is required to understand the questions.

Interview Questions

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process at capital One was fairly involved. First there was an online application portion which was relatively easy. just the normal resume cover letter stuff. Then if you got past that portion you had to do online tests for personality and quantitative skills. finally if that went well you had a face to face on campus interview. If all the prior steps went well then you would move on to be interviewed in richmond virginia. This this consisted of a day long interview on their campus. which essentially was 5 seperate inverviews with 5 seperate people.

Interview Question – What would you say is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – on campus, business case study questions about three questions. They were not that hard but were pretty confusing. The interviewer wanted you to explain your thought process while you attempting to answer the question which was pretty difficult to do. After the case study questions the interviewer answered the questions I had and said that he would get back to me. I knew I didnt do very well in the interview but they never got back to me which later I learned that it's a common thing to do. Oh well.

Interview Question – just typical business case study questions   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of 2 case interviews and a behaviour interview.

First case interview consisted of credit card promotion marketing techniques; direct mail and telemarketing. Choosing the one that is more profitable for the business.

Second case consisted of acquisition of shipping company, breakeven volumes and price analysis.

Interview Question – None, the interviewers are helpful throughout the process   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was very comfrotable. I felt likea movie star. I got picked upin a limo and putup at a five star hotel. Everyone was very nice. They did the usual behavioral interview looking for respnses that utilize the STAR response technique and some leadership experience. I aced that part. I messed up on the case interview. The key to an offer is to ace the case analysis. I though it was going to be easy, but they trake you thorough a word case that asks you to jump back and forth between quantitative comoutations and qualitative business ideas. Then at the end, they ask you to use whichever calulations you believe are relevant to solve a semicomplex math rpblem like a breakeven analysis, or to set up simultaneouse equations and solve for the perfect amount of certrain varuiables to maximize someting. The hardest part isfiguring out all this on your own(how to solve the problem) while having a verbal discussion with a manager at the firm. If you pass the case test, your pretty much in, and it is worht it.They start ops analysts at around 60K and 10K signing bonus.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to work on a team with someone you did not get along with.   View Answer

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!