Capital One

Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions

3.8

59 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in March 2010.

There were several components to the interview process, but the hardest of which was the case study.

Once presented with a real world problem, I was asked to solve it with pen paper and use of a calculator.

The scenario is about reducing credit limits on their credit cards to limit exposure to risk (default on max credit amounts).

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

Started with a personality test. Once you pass that you move on to a congitive reasoning math and verbal exam online. Once passing that you get setup for a power day onsite. This consisted of a partial math reasoning exam, 2 case studies and 2 bahvioral interviews. The day is grueling and they take pride in their process. It seems that the process hinges on the case studies and I would recommend practicing as much as possible on algebra concepts as well as any case studies you can. It is a great experience but not one to take lightly.

Interview Questions
    • Case study involving a decision about marketing costs for credit cards   Answer Question
    • case study involving call centers - this one was very difficult   View Answer
    Offer was made with minimal negotiation necessary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in June 2011.

The process took around 3 weeks. A HR contacted me and asked questions for general information. Then, she sent a couple of emails, which include instructions and the link of online test. As described by others, the online test has two parts, numeric test and verbal test. The numeric test is pretty difficulty mainly because of the ticking clock at the top of screen. The verbal test is much easier. Overall, the test is like GRE/GMAT.
    On the same day, the HR sent another email and notified me that I passed the test.

The onsite interview was scheduled after two weeks. The arrangement was very professional. There was cab service picking at the airport, hotel and office campus.

There were four section in the interview, two for behavior questions and two for case study. The behavior questions were quite dummy. The case interview was difficult. Basic knowledge about finance is required to understand the questions.

Interview Questions
    • tell me a time when the project objectives are changed during a project?   Answer Question
    • tell me a time when you have to handle multiple tasks?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

First need to take a test of both math and reasoning much like the SAT then if you pass that a very difficult case interview follows.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in May 2012.

I applied through campus recruiting and was brought in for an on-campus case interview. This was followed by 2 online assessments - one behavioral and one quantitative. After these, I was invited for an on-site interview with some other OA candidates. We had 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview before lunch, and then a small handful of people, including myself, were kept after lunch for an additional case. I found out within a week that had received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was super nervous for the case interviews, but unexpectedly, the behavioral interview threw me off more than the cases.

Name a time when you had to convince someone to do something that they did not want to do. (something along those lines)

Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Capital One.

Had to complete online process first, involving math and technical questions. After that, was invited for an on campus case interview. The question was not too challenging but they are just trying to figure out how you think. Made it to the next round and they flew me out to South Carolina. Went through a power day of three case interviews and a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question asked was a case that involved many different credit card rates. Each new part of the problem introduced changed all of the previous steps so it was difficult to keep track of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

interview process is centered around cases. the cases are not similar to what you may be familiar with used for management consulting roles. Capital One's cases are very quantitative. Most of my peers were engineers. If you happen to be an engineer, you should be fine, just make sure that you get enough sleep the night before. It may help to brush up on your math skills, and I would recommend doing so. Acceptance rate is only about 5%, I was told. I'm not sure if this stat is based from those who got invited to interview or from those who took just the first step in the application process.

Interview Questions
    • be prepared to do back-of-the-envelope math computations   Answer Question
    no negotiation for interns

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

The hiring process started with a 30-minute, 30-question quantitative skills test. Should you get acceptable scores here, up next are a couple rounds of case interviews, designed to test your reasoning abilities. Nothing too exceptional here, and I was able to work through the cases extremely quickly. There was also a round of classic behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember, though one of the cases had to do with pizza delivery truck routing.   View Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

The first interview was a case interview. The manager interviewing me had a background in engineering so I feel like we approached the problem in completely different ways. He seemed to me like a huge bully and was very short with me if I proposed a solution he didn't like. Creativity was not what he was looking for at all. The way he presented the problem and phrased questions was completely confusing to me. When I was asking further questions about the position his answers made me feel like he didn't want me there and was trying to discourage me from continuing in the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you reach out to potential customers?   View Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I saw the posting on my University's Career site, I then sent a follow up email to the recruiter. She then let me know in that she wanted to have a phone case style interview. (about a week)

I had the phone case style interview. The interviewer was very nice and reassuring over the phone. He asked me about paperless banking. First he asked how we would get more customers to join paperless billing. We then talked about incentives. If we send out 100,000 emails. two plans 1. 50,000 20% response rate and $4 credit and 2. 50,000 30% $10 credit.
    we save lifetime $12 on people the switch how much do we make.
    I was then asked to calculate the break even response rate for the $10 credit email.

Interview Questions
    • They sent me a rejection email but I never got it. I followed up with the recruiter and she was like. Oh I sent you a rejection email. You never go it?   Answer Question