Capital One

Average Difficulty
59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Started with an on campus inteview-one case interview lasting 30 minutes. Next step was on-site interview which consisted of 3 case interviews and 1 behavorial interview

Interview Question – Typical Case Interview   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Two case questions and one behavioral. After lunch they asked some of us to stay for a third round. I got another case question. Behavioral was very easy. Case questions start with easy math problems then get harder, and my interviewer seemed to get bored. Definitely talk out loud and know your math because it is more math based, and they did not ask me as much conceptual questions.

Interview Question – When was a time you foresaw a problem and took preventative measures?   View Answer

Operation Analyst Interview

Operation Analyst

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – The interview is a case interview. The question is mainly about ATM location choosing. The recruiter will provide cost structures. Cost structure is about fees charged per transaction and transmission fees for off premise. For on premise there will be no variable cost. Fixed cost include rent and depreciation

Interview Question – U have to ask towards the question.   View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – The hiring process started with a 30-minute, 30-question quantitative skills test. Should you get acceptable scores here, up next are a couple rounds of case interviews, designed to test your reasoning abilities. Nothing too exceptional here, and I was able to work through the cases extremely quickly. There was also a round of classic behavioral interview questions.

Interview Question – Don't remember, though one of the cases had to do with pizza delivery truck routing.   View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview Details – interview process is centered around cases. the cases are not similar to what you may be familiar with used for management consulting roles. Capital One's cases are very quantitative. Most of my peers were engineers. If you happen to be an engineer, you should be fine, just make sure that you get enough sleep the night before. It may help to brush up on your math skills, and I would recommend doing so. Acceptance rate is only about 5%, I was told. I'm not sure if this stat is based from those who got invited to interview or from those who took just the first step in the application process.

Interview Question – be prepared to do back-of-the-envelope math computations   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation for interns

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – There is an online application to be filled out initially, typically found through the university's career services. Next is an on-campus interview. It is one case interview, after which they typically inform you very quickly if you move on to the next round of interviews. The next and final round is an on-site interview that includes two cases and a behavioral interview with the potential for a third case at the end.

Interview Question – The case interviews can be tricky, but as long as you pay close attention to your work, they are very doable.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – Round 1: Located at my university and included a 1 on 1 interview case study where I had to solve a business problem using math and logic. It wasn't too difficult but they did not ask me many questions about myself. They really wanted to see how my brain worked.

Round 2: (at their campus) I was at an interview day with about 10 other candidates who were interviewing for internships and full time positions for all of the different analyst positions. We were separated into separate rooms and interviewers rotated between our rooms. There was a personality interview as well as a few case studies. After the interviews all of the candidates received a tour of the campus, which is very impressive, and ate lunch. After lunch is the "optional interview" where you don't know if you will get asked another question. My recruiter told me that they only keep you for more questions if they need more details about you to make a decision. I was not asked to stay for additional questions and received a phone call the next morning from my recruiter with the companies decision.

Interview Question – Know that is is okay to ask questions and talk to your interviewer through the case study. They want to know how you think and not just that you can get the correct answer.   View Answer

Operations Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of 2 case interviews and a behaviour interview.

First case interview consisted of credit card promotion marketing techniques; direct mail and telemarketing. Choosing the one that is more profitable for the business.

Second case consisted of acquisition of shipping company, breakeven volumes and price analysis.

Interview Question – None, the interviewers are helpful throughout the process   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed in Richmond, VA. Two case studies and one behavioral. One case is about the credit card, how to earn profit and what are the costs, what if clients don't pay, interest rate increase/decrease, credit line increase/decrease. Second is about grain shipping company, some influential factors, like weather, fuel prices.

Interview Question – Cases. Some factors will change as the variable changes. Pay attention to this.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – I saw the posting on my University's Career site, I then sent a follow up email to the recruiter. She then let me know in that she wanted to have a phone case style interview. (about a week)

I had the phone case style interview. The interviewer was very nice and reassuring over the phone. He asked me about paperless banking. First he asked how we would get more customers to join paperless billing. We then talked about incentives. If we send out 100,000 emails. two plans 1. 50,000 20% response rate and $4 credit and 2. 50,000 30% $10 credit.
we save lifetime $12 on people the switch how much do we make.
I was then asked to calculate the break even response rate for the $10 credit email.

Interview Question – They sent me a rejection email but I never got it. I followed up with the recruiter and she was like. Oh I sent you a rejection email. You never go it?   Answer Question