Capital One

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Average Difficulty
59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewed in Richmond, VA. Two case studies and one behavioral. One case is about the credit card, how to earn profit and what are the costs, what if clients don't pay, interest rate increase/decrease, credit line increase/decrease. Second is about grain shipping company, some influential factors, like weather, fuel prices.

Interview Question – Cases. Some factors will change as the variable changes. Pay attention to this.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of 2 case interviews and a behaviour interview.

First case interview consisted of credit card promotion marketing techniques; direct mail and telemarketing. Choosing the one that is more profitable for the business.

Second case consisted of acquisition of shipping company, breakeven volumes and price analysis.

Interview Question – None, the interviewers are helpful throughout the process   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was phone style. Call centers in US and phillipines. US 400 agents, capacity 600, $30/hr, 15call/hr. Phillipines 200 agents, Capacity 600, $15/hr, 10 calls/hr. Calculate total cost. Next question maximize the US capacity if next year we would get 10M more calls.

Interview Question – I was being hurried in the whole interview IMHO   View Answer

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview Details – The recruiter that I dealt with was very responsive and quick to respond on questions and concerns. The process that I went through was a 1:1 interview on campus that involved both a behavioral portion and a small case, though the case was more like a series of mathematical word problems than a typical case interview. For the second round, they put us up in a hotel by their headquarters and put us through a blitz day, consisting of tours, 2 additional case interviews and another behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Case question involving credit card risk. Algebra intensive, we were given math problems and asked to solve them   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – on campus, business case study questions about three questions. They were not that hard but were pretty confusing. The interviewer wanted you to explain your thought process while you attempting to answer the question which was pretty difficult to do. After the case study questions the interviewer answered the questions I had and said that he would get back to me. I knew I didnt do very well in the interview but they never got back to me which later I learned that it's a common thing to do. Oh well.

Interview Question – just typical business case study questions   Answer Question

Operations Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting and was given an on campus interview. It was a case interview that involved credit card rates and whether to offer a special credit card for my school's alumni.

Interview Question – Asked to calculate the profit and break even point   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Met at on-campus career fair and submitted resume. Resume was sufficient to earn a first-round interview on my university's campus. Passed that and was invited to an interview at their Richmond, Virginia location. They paid for my flight there and back and my meals. The interview day at Richmond consisted of 3 interviews - 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral. The behavioral was just like any other job interview. The case interviews consisted of math problems involving various topics from credit card rates to life insurance. The interviewer is there to help you through the problem with any questions, but it is important to keep your work organized and not get stuck in one area.

Interview Question – Case question about call times. Constantly translating numbers into minutes or hours was a little confusing, but not too bad.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in November 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process is very efficient. I applied through career services at my university and was asked to complete a skills test. The test was taken on campus, but I do believe Capital One does this online now. After passing the test. I was invited to an interview on the university campus. The cases are not hard, but not easy either. Make sure you look at the practice case on Capital One's website before going to the interview. After about three days, Capital One sent the email inviting me to final rounds at their corporate campus in Richmond deemed a powerday. The powerday consisted of 2 case interviews similar to the case taken at school and a behavioral interview. After lunch, they may or may not take you in for another case. It depends on how well you did on the first two cases.

Interview Question – You have the choice between using first class or third class mail for a letter you are sending out to potential customers. First class costs $0.50 per piece and reach 100% of potential customers. Third class costs $0.40 per piece and reaches 80% of potential customers. Which do you use?   View Answers (6)

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied on-line and applied for an interview through my school's on-campus interviewing program. Took some online assessments and then was accepted for a 1:1 case style interview on campus. Heard back a week or so later that I was invited to the "powerday" in Richmond.

Three 1:1 interviews in Richmond. Two case style and one behavioral. After lunch, I was asked to stay for another interview. Heard back a few days later about a full time offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to learn a new skill or material to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview Details – On the cases it is definitely worth your time to take your time. Think things through because I eventually got the right answers but only after prodding from the interviewer.

Interview Question – Describe a time when something you were working on didn't go according to plan.   Answer Question