Capital One

Updated Jun 6, 2014

3.8

59 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One.

The first interview was a case interview. The manager interviewing me had a background in engineering so I feel like we approached the problem in completely different ways. He seemed to me like a huge bully and was very short with me if I proposed a solution he didn't like. Creativity was not what he was looking for at all. The way he presented the problem and phrased questions was completely confusing to me. When I was asking further questions about the position his answers made me feel like he didn't want me there and was trying to discourage me from continuing in the process.

Interview Questions
  • How would you reach out to potential customers?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

Took online behavioral test and online math-type test. Never had a phone interview. Was invited to an on-site interview. Consisted of 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate break-even interest rate for certain values that were provided   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Capital One.

Had to complete online process first, involving math and technical questions. After that, was invited for an on campus case interview. The question was not too challenging but they are just trying to figure out how you think. Made it to the next round and they flew me out to South Carolina. Went through a power day of three case interviews and a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question asked was a case that involved many different credit card rates. Each new part of the problem introduced changed all of the previous steps so it was difficult to keep track of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Applied on-line and applied for an interview through my school's on-campus interviewing program. Took some online assessments and then was accepted for a 1:1 case style interview on campus. Heard back a week or so later that I was invited to the "powerday" in Richmond.

Three 1:1 interviews in Richmond. Two case style and one behavioral. After lunch, I was asked to stay for another interview. Heard back a few days later about a full time offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to learn a new skill or material to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Applied online and was offered an online test- they got back to me quickly for final round interviews on site. Everything was well run but the employees do not talk about their job in a professional manner

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews were mostly just math questions- no qualitative analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in May 2012.

I applied through campus recruiting and was brought in for an on-campus case interview. This was followed by 2 online assessments - one behavioral and one quantitative. After these, I was invited for an on-site interview with some other OA candidates. We had 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview before lunch, and then a small handful of people, including myself, were kept after lunch for an additional case. I found out within a week that had received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was super nervous for the case interviews, but unexpectedly, the behavioral interview threw me off more than the cases.

Name a time when you had to convince someone to do something that they did not want to do. (something along those lines)
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Contacted to take an online assessment and then flown out to Richmond for a super-day. The interview consisted of 1 behavioral interview and 2 case interviews. The practice case interview is NOTHING like the onsite case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The case interviewers are clearly not trained on communicating the questions clearly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in June 2012.

Step 1. Phone interview with recruiter
    Step 2. Online personality test and aptitude test
    Step 3. Five interviews back to back. 2 were behavioral and 3 case interviews.

*Everyone was super duper nice.
    *The whole HR and recruiting team was very helpful from the beginning. Told me how should I prepare and what should I expect on the interview day
    * Case interviewers were very helpful BUT had a few communication issues as English is not my first language and wasn't my interviewers first language yet I managed to solve it/
    * Behavioral interviews are very stream lined. You are asked 3 questions about your past experience and you have 40 minutes to answer them + Ask questions of your own.

I worked very hard for 2 months for this interview (in all).
    - Practice as many tests as you can before online assessment
    - Go over your resume and prepare stories for each job position
    - Practice as many cases as you can with friends and family

Interview Questions
    It was a reasonable offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One.

Capital One booked a train down to Richmond, VA for the interview. Went on a tour of the campus, met with other employees who explained different career paths. The first day consisted of a mostly casual meet and greet. Second day featured three case interviews and two behavioral interviews. The behavioral interviews were standard, questions about leadership, working as a team, etc. Case interviews were fun and challenging, be sure to practice different business scenarios based on efficiency and cost effectiveness.

Interview Questions
    • One of the case interview questions revolved around improving the business model of a ferry crossing a river in regards to changing traffic and cost scenarios. They were looking for strategic thinking to find ways to make the ferry business more efficient.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

one behavioral, two case interviews. they interview tons of students from across the nation so try to be prepared as possible for the case interviews.

the company culture seems extremely relaxed. talking to the employees (at least the younger ones), they seem to talk a lot about how little work they do.