Capital One

Updated Jun 6, 2014

3.8

59 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Applied to Capital One through my school. Was asked to take a reading/math assessment. The Assessment was challenging but not impossible. The time goes buy very quickly while youre trying to interpret the questions. Was invited to a case interview that while was not extremely difficult, made you think and was intimidating at times due to the information given to you. Could have done better but it was my first one and it did not go as smoothly as i would have hoped.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

To start i will say that i am an engineering major, i've heard engineers have an easier time with the case studies due to the fact that we are good with math and problem solving.

After the company reviewed my resume, through my University, i was invited to take an online assessment. The online part was very easy, basic algebra and graphs, SAT type math. Afterwards, was given a 1on1 interview at my particular University. The first 1on1 is a case study, the case study was involving credit card type problems, and involves statistics and algebra, as well as basic knowledge of what might make a company more money (eg. increase profit, decrease costs).

After this, i was invited to Richmond for a number of interviews. Of the 12-15 people there i believe only around 3-5 of us got an offer. 2 case interviews and a behavioral interview in the morning. The cases were decently challenging, but they aren't expecting a perfect score, just that you show good insight, and great problem solving skills. A nice tour of the campus and free lunch, then they invited 3-4 of us back for a interview in the afternoon.

The afternoon interview was with a VP of the company, it showed how much the company cared that they sent someone that high up to interview us, just to make sure we really would help the company. The last interview is again a case interview, and was around the same difficulty as all the others.

I was told in an extremely short amount of time that i had passed and was extended an offer to join the company.

Interview Questions
    • Break-even point between revolvers and transactors (involving credit cards).   View Answer
    Keep looking and you can find general salary information online. Don't be nervous, just do what you can do and keep going if you make a mistake. Ask the interviewer questions to clarify! If you work with the interviewer, they want you to succeed , and if you are doing well they don't want to trick you, so just talk to them if you have trouble on one part of the case study.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

First, there was an initial application through the company website. Then I was prompted via email to answer an online aptitude test. After I passed the aptitude test, I had a phone interview and was then asked to go for an onsite interview. Capital One paid for and arranged all travel and lodging costs. The first night was a dinner reception with a few current employees and other candidates. The following day consisted of 2 case interviews and one behavioral interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

I heard about the internship position at my school--I went to the info session. I submitted my resume and was asked to complete the assessments online. After passing the assessments, I had a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty relaxed--she just wanted to get to know me and my background, etc. I then was scheduled for a fly out. The flyout was scheduled for 2 weeks after the phone interview.

Great

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Applied online and received notification via email to take an online assessment test. The test consists of questions for analytics, ethical and rational practices. After completion of that step I received a phone call that I would interview on campus. The interview was 1:1 and consisted of a case to work through numerically and ask what I would do in the end. My interviewer said I answered the case correctly and that he would be glad to see me at Capital One. Three days later I received a rejection email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2012.

Initially took a test online which was fairly easy. Then had an interview on campus which consisted of one case interview. Flew out to Richmond, VA for two days had dinner with current employees and then had three interviews (one behavioral and two case).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in January 2012.

I found out about the position through my school and was asked to take an online assessment which consisted of personality, verbal, and math/chart reading skills. I then had a case interview later that week which was not too challenging (they asked me to calculate a breakeven for different credit card users). Two weeks later I flew out to Richmond where i had 3 case interviews and one behavioral interview. The cases were challenging and I got stuck on a few parts.

Interview Questions
    • Basic behavioral questions. (Ex. Tell me about a time where you disagreed with your team)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in November 2011.

2 Behavioral and 2 Case Interview. 1 post lunch Case Interview (total 3 Cases). All 3 cases were based on credit card business (defaults, recovery, comparing cards). Pretty straightforward cases and the interviewers were very helpful.

Make sure to go over all the cases listed on Glassdoor - you will probably get some variation of the already listed cases

I was told I passed the interview process the next day and after talking to my prospective manager, was extended an offer within a week

Interview Questions
    • Credit Card business (defaults, recovery incentives, customer segmentation, comparing cards and offers)   Answer Question
    Yes, they are willing to negotiate (location, base salary, benefits, bonuses, title/function).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

The interview process at Capital One is a case study. Before they gave the interview, they held an info session. It gave me insight on what they were looking for and what the interview process was going to be like. At the interview, they gave me a hypothetical situation that I had to solve through. My situation was how many customers are needed to break even given a $10,000 credit limit. They look for you to ask questions to better assist yourself in the interview process. As I got more data, I constructed a formula to determine the number of new applicants needed for the $10,000 credit limit. The next question was what would happen if you raised the credit limit to $20,000. I suspected that it would increase the number of applicants and with that information I determined a new break-even equation. At the end of the interview, my interviewer asked me if I would keep it at the $10,000 limit or raise it to $20,000. I said I would raise it because it would increase profitability by luring in more customers.

Interview Questions
    • What are the number of new customers needed in order to break even?   View Answers (6)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Applied on-line and applied for an interview through my school's on-campus interviewing program. Took some online assessments and then was accepted for a 1:1 case style interview on campus. Heard back a week or so later that I was invited to the "powerday" in Richmond.

Three 1:1 interviews in Richmond. Two case style and one behavioral. After lunch, I was asked to stay for another interview. Heard back a few days later about a full time offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to learn a new skill or material to accomplish a task.   Answer Question