Capital One

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Average Difficulty
59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process at Capital One is a case study. Before they gave the interview, they held an info session. It gave me insight on what they were looking for and what the interview process was going to be like. At the interview, they gave me a hypothetical situation that I had to solve through. My situation was how many customers are needed to break even given a $10,000 credit limit. They look for you to ask questions to better assist yourself in the interview process. As I got more data, I constructed a formula to determine the number of new applicants needed for the $10,000 credit limit. The next question was what would happen if you raised the credit limit to $20,000. I suspected that it would increase the number of applicants and with that information I determined a new break-even equation. At the end of the interview, my interviewer asked me if I would keep it at the $10,000 limit or raise it to $20,000. I said I would raise it because it would increase profitability by luring in more customers.

Interview Question – What are the number of new customers needed in order to break even?   View Answers (6)

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process was very comfrotable. I felt likea movie star. I got picked upin a limo and putup at a five star hotel. Everyone was very nice. They did the usual behavioral interview looking for respnses that utilize the STAR response technique and some leadership experience. I aced that part. I messed up on the case interview. The key to an offer is to ace the case analysis. I though it was going to be easy, but they trake you thorough a word case that asks you to jump back and forth between quantitative comoutations and qualitative business ideas. Then at the end, they ask you to use whichever calulations you believe are relevant to solve a semicomplex math rpblem like a breakeven analysis, or to set up simultaneouse equations and solve for the perfect amount of certrain varuiables to maximize someting. The hardest part isfiguring out all this on your own(how to solve the problem) while having a verbal discussion with a manager at the firm. If you pass the case test, your pretty much in, and it is worht it.They start ops analysts at around 60K and 10K signing bonus.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to work on a team with someone you did not get along with.   View Answer

Plano, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One in March 2009.

Interview Details – First part was an online basic math test, second part was two 1:1 case interviews about business problems. Problems are very specific, mid-level algebra is necessary, and factors will change over the course of the case, and you will have to be able to support your assertions in the face of changing facts (or change your answers).

Interview Question – Case interview related to reducing credit card limits.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2007.

Interview Details – The interview process was very thorough. It began on campus with a quantitative exam with questions relating charts/figures with meaning, and was later followed up with a behavioral/small case interview (also on campus), and then ended with a series of 1-on-1 case studies on site. I felt that the process was fair and complete. HR was very friendly and accommodating. They contacted me within a few days after the interview.

Interview Question – There were a number of case studies, all of them relating mathematical equations/charts/solutions with physical meaning. They were fairly straightforward.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2011.

Interview Details – The online test was straight forward, with a section with behavioral questions and one with GMAT type verbal and quantitative questions.

The on site interview was more challenging. There were two behavioral interviews and two case interviews. The case interviews were challenging and relevant to Capital One's card business. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you've had to reach out to someone for assistance.   Answer Question
  • A case about whether Capital One should keep/discontinue employee verification.   View Answer

Operations Analyst

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

Interview Details – I got a call from HR asking me to take a online personality and GMAT test. I did that and got a call back telling that I did not pass the assesment.

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process at capital One was fairly involved. First there was an online application portion which was relatively easy. just the normal resume cover letter stuff. Then if you got past that portion you had to do online tests for personality and quantitative skills. finally if that went well you had a face to face on campus interview. If all the prior steps went well then you would move on to be interviewed in richmond virginia. This this consisted of a day long interview on their campus. which essentially was 5 seperate inverviews with 5 seperate people.

Interview Question – What would you say is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume online, received a response asking me to complete an assessment test. As a result i qualified for the final round of interviews where they flew me out to Richmond, VA. There in the evening I got the opportunity to meet some of the current employees, we had a few drinks and had a chance to ask them any questions that we had. Next day I had to get up early for three interviews, which consisted of one behavioral and two case interviews. While case interviews are not difficult make sure to catch up on simple algebra.

Interview Question – Time when you had to influence a group's decision.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in November 2009.

Interview Details – Had to take a math and verbal test online before offered final interview. Final interview consisted of two case study and one behavioral. Case study were consisted of easy math an you get to use a calculator. One case study was relevant to their business while the other was more general. Each case starts off with qualitative answers and builds to the quantitative stuff. Make sure to talk out loud and the caser is typically helpful if you find yourself getting stuck.

Interview Question – trying to digest in numbers they give you quickly into a formulated answer an equation.   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

Interview Details – Capital One recruited at my university through career services. After being accepted to interview for the Operations Analyst program, I was instructed to take a online skills assessment. It was two parts, one math and the other verbal.

We were told ahead of time that the on-campus interview would be mainly focused on a case study. Capital One even came on campus a few days before the interview dates and held a mini-workshop on case interviews.

In the interview room there was myself and 2 reps from Capital One. One was administering the interview, while the other was there to mainly "proctor" the interview, though he did chime in on occasion. The case study centered around a scenario for interpreting default rates and the expected profit/loss based on a given set of data. It wasn't very difficult, but the interviewer didn't do the best job of explaining clearly what he was looking for. The case stressed probabilities and algebra much more than the business analysis of the case you were given.

Interview Questions

• We are currently using employment background as the sole determining factor in issuing credit to individuals. Can you see any negatives to this?   Answer Question
  • if X customers pay back their loans and we make Y dollars of them, and Z customers default and we lose D dollars off of them, how many good borrowers would we need to make up for every defaulting customer. Etc etc Variations off of that base.   View Answer