Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

2 Behavioral and 2 Case Interview. 1 post lunch Case Interview (total 3 Cases). All 3 cases were based on credit card business (defaults, recovery, comparing cards). Pretty straightforward cases and the interviewers were very helpful. Make sure to go over all the cases listed on Glassdoor - you will probably get some variation of the already listed cases I was told I passed the interview process the next day and after talking to my prospective manager, was extended an offer within a week

Interview Questions

• Credit Card business (defaults, recovery incentives, customer segmentation, comparing cards and offers)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, they are willing to negotiate (location, base salary, benefits, bonuses, title/function).

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process at Capital One is a case study. Before they gave the interview, they held an info session. It gave me insight on what they were looking for and what the interview process was going to be like. At the interview, they gave me a hypothetical situation that I had to solve through. My situation was how many customers are needed to break even given a $10,000 credit limit. They look for you to ask questions to better assist yourself in the interview process. As I got more data, I constructed a formula to determine the number of new applicants needed for the $10,000 credit limit. The next question was what would happen if you raised the credit limit to $20,000. I suspected that it would increase the number of applicants and with that information I determined a new break-even equation. At the end of the interview, my interviewer asked me if I would keep it at the $10,000 limit or raise it to $20,000. I said I would raise it because it would increase profitability by luring in more customers.

Interview Questions

• What are the number of new customers needed in order to break even?   7 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

After passing "mini-GMAT" skills test, was flown out to Plano to interview. Behavioral interview was easy, but case interviews were more difficult. Was a little nervous under pressure and could not come up with all of the equations that they wanted. Was not offered a position. Seems like a great company to work for. Great hours, relaxed environment (analyst can come to work in jeans!). Also seems like a professional environment with good training and development.

Interview Questions

• Find break-even point given certain business situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied on-line and applied for an interview through my school's on-campus interviewing program. Took some online assessments and then was accepted for a 1:1 case style interview on campus. Heard back a week or so later that I was invited to the "powerday" in Richmond. Three 1:1 interviews in Richmond. Two case style and one behavioral. After lunch, I was asked to stay for another interview. Heard back a few days later about a full time offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to learn a new skill or material to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The interview was a case study, very reasonable and down to earth. The entire staff, interviewer and recruiters were very nice

Interview Questions

• no behavioral questions, just case study   4 Answers

i had received another offer closer to where i lived

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

The case interview is fairly easy I found. However, if you stumble in any manner at all you will not be invited back for a 2nd interview even if you have completed the case correctly. The real problem is the 2nd interviews. There are 3 more case interviews and a behavioral interview in one day. It is quite grueling and mentally exhausting.

Interview Questions

• What recommendation would you make based on the previous data?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

Applied for position listed on career website. Next day heard back from recruiter requesting that i complete assessment. It was basically like the GMAT. I passed that and was contacted to come in for a "Power Day" where I interveiw with 3 people. One interview was a behavioral interview and the other two were case study's. I did well on the behavioral and one case interview. Messed up the final case stupidly. That was it. Informed within 5 days that I would not continue on with the process.

Interview Questions

• how many feet tall is an elphant on stiltz who see's a mouse?   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you had to persuade someone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in June 2011.

Interview

The process took around 3 weeks. A HR contacted me and asked questions for general information. Then, she sent a couple of emails, which include instructions and the link of online test. As described by others, the online test has two parts, numeric test and verbal test. The numeric test is pretty difficulty mainly because of the ticking clock at the top of screen. The verbal test is much easier. Overall, the test is like GRE/GMAT. On the same day, the HR sent another email and notified me that I passed the test. The onsite interview was scheduled after two weeks. The arrangement was very professional. There was cab service picking at the airport, hotel and office campus. There were four section in the interview, two for behavior questions and two for case study. The behavior questions were quite dummy. The case interview was difficult. Basic knowledge about finance is required to understand the questions.

Interview Questions

• tell me a time when the project objectives are changed during a project?   Answer Question
    • tell me a time when you have to handle multiple tasks?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in June 2011.

Interview

Had to go through an online evaluation. Recruiter than arranged for a in person interview in Richmond. It was a day long interview process that included 5 interviews with 3 cases and 2 personal interviews. Got called back in for 2 job fit interviews before getting an offer in hand

Interview Questions

• Case interviews that were business cases from the card business   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2011.

Interview

Submitted my resume online, received a response asking me to complete an assessment test. As a result i qualified for the final round of interviews where they flew me out to Richmond, VA. There in the evening I got the opportunity to meet some of the current employees, we had a few drinks and had a chance to ask them any questions that we had. Next day I had to get up early for three interviews, which consisted of one behavioral and two case interviews. While case interviews are not difficult make sure to catch up on simple algebra.