Capital One

Updated Jan 11, 2015

3.5

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Principal Financial Analyst Interview

interviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Was asked to interview for a Principal Financial Analyst role at McLean, VA HQ for a role in their Chicago, IL office. Company flies candidates out and pays for initial travel expenses (air and hotel). While interview was good and well structured (1 day, 4 interviews - 2 behavioral, 2 case interviews), what they neglect to tell you is that your 'other' travel expenses are not reimbursed. They still owe me money after 3+ months. For a 'supposed' global financial services company, they must be short on cash flow.

Interview Questions
  • Should i travel across country for an interview?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. Then, I was directed to take two online assessments. First was a test of work preferences and styles. After that was a math assessment. Most of the math assessment consisted of percentage calculations or graph comprehension questions. The day after I took the online assessments, the recruiter contacted me and set me up for the "power day" in Richmond. Power Day consisted of 2 behavioral interviews and 3 case interviews. We also had lunch at one of the on-site cafeterias with two other COF individuals. This was more of a time where the candidates could ask questions. There was very little time left at the end of case interviews to ask questions....though I did have some time to ask questions during the behavioral interviews.

All interviewers were very nice and helpful during the case interviews. If you ask questions, they are more than willing to help make sure you stay on the right path.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews centered around business strategy, profitability, & breakeven points. My three questions revolved around CC insurance, Customer Service Outsourcing, and a University CC program.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had to challenge the organization.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone of your view.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. COF offered a signing bonus which was completely unexpected. The salary was a little lower than expected but the bonus was significantly higher. I was VERY pleased with the offer.

Principal Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2011.

2 case + 2 behavioral interviews.

Cases:

1) Capital One partnering with a university to launch a credit card

- revenue and cost drivers
    - profitability of CC given certain parameters
    - if university decides to exercise an option to purchase CC, at what amount will it be indifferent to staying with Capital One or running its own program?
    - what is the maximum amount that Capital One should pay the university for it to stay with program

2) profitability of existing CC customers

- how might decreasing the credit limit increase profitability?
    - calculate profitability given various conditions (funding cost, default rate, APR, credit limit, average balance etc) under old and new credit limit
    - how might customer behavior change in response to a decrease in credit limit?
    - break-even rate and $ amount for charge-off with both new credit limit and average balance
    - graph showing the points of indifference using break-even points determined above

Overall, a good experience, but be aware that there is little room for error.

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to understand all revenue and cost drivers in detail and how they affect profitability, e.g. decreasing credit limit actually decreases charge-offs.   View Answers (2)

Principal Financial Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in August 2011.

CapOne has a very structured recruiting process. HR initially contacts you for a quick phone screen followed by an online quant/verbal/behavioral assessment which is like a mini SAT and takes about 1.5hrs to complete. A practice test is provided which is a big help, especially if it's been some time since undergrad. You must score well on this in order to proceed. HR will notify you within a day if you pass the test, and if so, schedule a phone call with a hiring mgr or two. If that goes well, then CapOne will invite you for an onsite visit at their McLean HQ. The onsite visit is an all day affair and includes multiple job fit, behavioral and case interviews. Each behavioral interview includes 3 questions requiring you to provide a detailed explanation of a situation in which you had to work with difficult people, multi-task, respond to changes, persuade others, etc. The case interview is very similar in format to the sample provided in the online careers section. Not only is it important to answer the case correctly, but you must also walk the interviewer through your reasoning. They move quickly on a decision and will usually let you know within 2 days.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview: Cap One is considering on whether to offshore its customer service call center. Should they keep this platform in house or outsource it? Various assumptions are provided.   View Answer