Capital One

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richmond, VA

I interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

Interview Details – It was a simple interview process. They brought you to headquarters in Virginia and had 3 people interview you. One question was a little tough where you had to work through a problem but the other two interviews were easy.

Interview Question – Why did you choose Capital One   Answer Question

Mettawa, IL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Capital One in March 2014.

Interview Details – I had a phone screen interview with two employees setup by a recruiting firm. They provided a conference bridge for the call. Two employees were on the call; they were calling in from both in different locations. I was expecting a face to face interview afterwards. But since this was only for a contract position there was no follow up. (Offer was made shortly after the call.)

Interview Question – They like to think of themselves as high level consultants so they'll ask you a strategy question like - 1) where do you think of credit card industry is going? or 2) what do you think Capital One should do to be stronger in the industry?   View Answer

Project Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting, 1st rd interview on campus - 3 behavioral based questions, 2nd rd in Richmond, VA, 1 case interview, 1 behavioral, 1 job-fit

Interview Question – Typical tell me about a time questions   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me within 4 hours of applying on-line, which was very surprising. He wanted to set up an initial phone interview and set it up for 5 days later during the afternoon (weekend included). Normal questions, however recruiter seemed disorganized had difficulty discussing the position, I could hear papers shuffling during the interview when he struggled to tell me about the position. Overall I had a positive feeling about the interview. He told me he would be talking to the hiring manager in four days and would contact me during the afternoon. However, he called two days later and said he had talked to the hiring manager early and that he wanted me to proceed to the next step in the process, which consisted of an Experience and Style Inventory and Numeric & Verbal Reasoning Assessment. He promptly sent the links to me within a few minutes of the conversation ending. Again I had a good feeling about the process. The emails recommend that I utilize the practice tests for Verbal and Numeric Reasoning Assessments because they are timed. The next morning I clicked on the provided link and looked at the example questions for the assessments and then completed the practice tests. The Numeric Reasoning Assessment was difficult and a challenge. I re-took the practice test for six hours that day and for two hours the following day to prepare. Some of the sample word problems made no sense whatsoever. There was no way to finish these problems on the assessment within the allotted amount of time. It was time to move on and complete this next step in the process. I opened the link to the inventory and assessments. The inventory is not timed, however the questions in my mind were rather ambiguous and they want you to answer Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Neutral, Agree, Strongly Agree. Before the assessments you have an opportunity to take another shortened practice test. The Verbal Reasoning Assessment was exactly along the lines of the previous practice test. However, the Numeric Reasoning Assessment practice before the "real" assessment was totally different from the practice tests I have rehearsed with over the last day and a half. I was taken aback and went through the eight question practice test. Do you know how to calculate inflation off of the top of your head? Are you able to look at a chart with GDP, GDP per person, GDP growth percentage, and percent unemployed and know how many people were in the country during that year? I did not, but I was committed and moved forward with the actual assessments. The Verbal one was a little more difficult than the practice ones and I finished with seconds to spare. The Numeric assessment was not quite as hard as the practice questions just previous to the real assessment, however I think I got through question 11 of 18 during the 25 minute duration. I did not have a good feeling after completing this step in the process. Two and half hours after finishing the assessments I received a call from the recruiter and he told me that my negative results on the assessments would preclude me from continuing the hiring process with Capital One. I may apply for a position in six months and take the assessment again if I pass the initial phone interview and I am cleared by the hiring manager. So, I was prevented from moving forward in a hiring process by tests, sad isn't it? To think that a corporation will hang a person's potential employment on tests developed by a company in a foreign country.

Interview Question – Why have you been unemployed for over two years?   View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in November 2012.

Interview Details – the first round was on-campus. Second round, I flew out to Richmond Virginia. There were three interviews in total : 2 behavioral, 1 case. One behavioral interview consists of all scenario questions. While the other one consists of both scenario questions and fit questions. The interviewers were nice, but slightly intimidating. (They constantly took notes during interviews, which might be slightly awkward)

Interview Question – Explain a situation where you used your innovation to solve a problem   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty quick. Phone interview, than a power day where I interviewed with a few peers, the person whom would be my hiring manager, and one of their peers. They were professional and asked mosty behavorial quesitons, and also gave me a case study that was like doing a word algebra problem.

Interview Question – None of the questions were very difficult, they were all behavorial and canned   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Job fit

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was rather simple. I applied through the careers website at my university and was contacted within a few days. I had the first interview on campus and the second interview was a super day in the office.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you used your presentation skills to convince someone to see your way of a problem.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview Details – Two case studies. 1 ) Project management basics 2) Analytical case study with emphasis on algebra instead of analytical reasoning.

Interview Question – Describe your project experience.   View Answers (2)

Richmond, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in June 2011.

Interview Details – I'm an independent contractor working through one of the preferred staffing agencies. I emaled an agency recruiter, talked with him on the telephone, and had a phone interview 3 days later. The next day I was offered an 8 month contract. From there it took 3 weeks to get all the paperwork done, order a laptop for me, and get my security badge

Interview Question – They did not do any business cases for my contract position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Capital One is pretty tight on contractor rates, but after my first contract, I was able to negotiate a small bump up in my hourly rate for the next contract.

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2011.

Interview Details – Applied to the position through my university and realized at a reception prior to on-campus interviews how competitive the process was. On-campus interview was great. It was a behavioral interview and I connected with the interviewer; it was fairly casual and felt more like a conversation. Nothing unexpected. Found out five days later that I was selected for an on-site interview, which they call "power days". I could have interviewed as early as the following week but, due to my scheduling issues, I had to postpone by almost a month. Before on-site, however, I had to complete an arduous testing process that took four hours. On-site interview consisted of two more behavioral interviews and a case interview. Behavioral interviews were fine, each consisted of three long-ish questions with plenty of back and forth and question time. One of the interviewers was a tad unprofessional but not a big deal. Case was fairly straight forward with plenty of back and forth as well. Entire process was very professional and provided a clear view into their corporate culture.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions-- describe a group situation during which time you were a manager and you had such and such problem, describe a situation during which you were a team-member and had to step up to the plate, what accomplishments are you most proud of, etc.   Answer Question
  • Case interview-- based on credit card portfolios. Required simple arithmetic and strong logical/ problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!