Capital One

3.4

342 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

I stopped by the Capital One booth at my schools Career fair. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on campus first round interview. The interview was purely behavioral, consisting of questions to the tune of "How did you overcome X." I was told in my interview that I had preformed well that that I would be advancing to the next round (My interviewer must have had a long day of duds).

Final rounds consisted of three interviews, lunch, and a tour of the Richmond Capital One office. At final rounds there was a group of ~15 candidates who, I assume, all went through the same process.
    The three interviews consisted of a case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The interviewers were all kind and gave me feedback at the conclusion of each interview. The interviewers were a mix of management staff and software engineers. After the interviews one candidate was asked to stay for further questions (I assumed this meant he was receiving an offer), while the rest of the candidates were shown out of the office. Much to my surprise I received a phone call not two hours later, while I was still driving home, congratulating me on the interviews and giving me an offer.

After interviewing I got the impression that while I was applying for a software development position the focus of the interviews personality and critical thinking. This was a little off-putting because it makes me believe that it is possible to be hired at Capital One as a Software Engineer without being a great coder. For technical preparation I would recommend purchasing or downloading a copy of Cracking The Coding Interview 5th edition. All of the technical questions I was asked came directly, WORD FOR WORD, from this book. Proper preparation, along with good communication skills is a recipe to preform well and get a great offer.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was about mortgage securities, a topic I am not particularly familiar with. Luckily after some question asking and thinking aloud I was able to work my way through the case.   View Answer
    I have a friend who interned at Capital One last year before taking an offer. He told me his salary and I was able to negotiate up to it by leveraging a competing offer from Red Hat.

Compliance Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

I applied online for a position in August, I had two phone interviews in mid-September, and then didn't heard back until mid-October, and that was after I contacted HR to ask for an update. Once that occurred, I was brought in for an on-site interview about 2 weeks after that, and am currently waiting to hear back about their final decision.

Interview Questions
    • There were three situational interviews that were all pretty standard questions and then two "job fit" interviews.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn in early September. A 30-minute phone call that include 5 simple maths. The recruiter forwarded me to the on-site interview ("Power Day") which took place on October 8th. There were 8 interviewees included me, 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews. After the interviews 2 analysts took all the interviewees to lunch. Nice buffet, lots of choices. Came back to interview rooms, talked to a director and got more information about the company.

Finance Rotation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Initial Case Interview to see how skilled you are. Was invited to do a case interview on campus. Fairly complex business problem. Didn't get invited back. Overall it was a good process. Everyone there is very nice and the interview process is not bad at all. I'm hoping to interview with them again in the fall.

Interview Questions
    • Break even analysis. Very easy math when doing it on your own, but can be a little hard with a hiring manager in front of you.   Answer Question

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

The entire process took 5 weeks from when I submitted my applications. I applied through my University and had an on-campus behavioral interview. They got back to me in a couple of days and said I had moved onto the second and final round of interviews (called Power Day) which is on-site. It was three 45 minute interviews: Behavioral, Case, and Job Fit (Technical). After Power Day, the recruiter called in a couple days later and offered me a job.

Interview Questions
    • Case Interview was very different from what I was used to. They gave me some data, asked me to solve some problems and come up with a general equation for the data, then graph it using pen and paper.   Answer Question

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

On campus behavioral interview. I then moved to a full Power Day with a job fit, behavioral, and case study. They were 45 minutes each. You’ll be assessed on things such as motivation, intellectual rigor, teamwork, co-worker respect, and so on. I advise people to use the STAR method when answering job-fit questions so the interviewer can follow your train of thought. Doing some research on this technique will serve you well during your preparation. As for the case study mine was related to ideas for banking technical services.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was the most difficult when asking your ideas and what you should implement.   Answer Question

TDP Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Initial interview with one of the manager on campus. Then invited to on site. Had 3 rounds. First fit interview. Questions on data structure implementation, some basic OOP concepts. Then had the case interview. That was my first case interview. Go through the samples provided by the glassdoor reviews. Then the standard behavioral questions. Interviewers were very nice and overall a very pleasant experience.

Frp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

On campus interview. Power day interview with simple cases, if you understand basic accounting principles and the time value of money. Behavioural interviews are standard nothing a typical career guide won't prepare you for. Great hospitality, friendly environment.

ITDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One.

First have on campus behavioral interview. After that you are flown out to one of their campuses where you have three interviews, get a tour of the campus, learn more information about the company. There was one behavioral interview, a case interview, and a "fit" interview. The behavioral was typical, the case interview is different but very easy if you know basic math, and the fit interview was more of a technical interview; however, the questions were very easy. I received an offer the next day.

No need to really negotiate, pay is extremely competitive.

Master Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Capital One in September 2014.

Initially HR called,explained in details about the position and normal conversation about your skills.
    This followed by a coding challenge(online). If you clear the coding challenge you will be selected for the next round. For me it was a video conference through Face time for 2+ hours. It was a 3 round interview( 1st round behavioral round by Hiring Manager,2nd Round was same by the Product owner and 3rd round was the Technical round). I was confirmed following day about my offer by HR.
    Overall experience very smooth.

Interview Questions
    • All Standard Questions in both Behavioral and Technical interviews.   View Answer
    Negotiable based on the interview. If you could showcase your value they will be open for negotiation.