Capital One Interview Questions in Richmond, VA

Updated Apr 24, 2015

3.3

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

The interview is well organized but lengthy. Meet four interviewers, two case studies and two behaviors. The interview is not hard, as long as you have good sense of the business and data analysis, you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• what is the project you are most proud of?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. First round was a case over the phone. The question was about a beach front store. Pretty simple, math was basic algebra and you could use a calculator. They got back to me within two days to invite me to a super day at there Richmond office. Super day was 2 cases and a behavioral. Cases were a little more difficult. One was about a private equity investment where you were given some data and asked to draw observations, look for places the PE firm could improve the business, and eventually make an investment decision. The other case was about deciding how to fill process credit card applications and involved a little graphing. Interviewers help you through the cases and you can use a calculator. They are quantitative, but don't require any math past simple algebra. I was called back for a 4th "interview" where we chatted about life at Capital One.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to teach yourself something.   1 Answer

Financial Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a great experience. The campus locates in Richmond, VA is huge with very nice interview environment. Each of the interviewees has a small room and interviewer will come direct to you. The on site interview has a long schedule, which I did four interviews in one morning. It was tired.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with the project outside of your comfort zone?   1 Answer

Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

One general interview at school before flying onsite. On site interviewers were much older than typical interviewers for technical positions. For one of my interviews, my interviewer seemed like she strongly disliked interviewing. Resulted in quite an awkward interview.

Technology Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Capital One does not recruit for technology positions at my school, but they do recruit for Business Analysts. I contacted the Business Analyst recruiter and expressed interest in Capital One technology positions. She passed my resume along to the tech recruiter who scheduled an on-site interview in Richmond, VA. I think generally there is a phone screen/on campus round, but Capital One seems to be expanding their tech department at such a rapid pace, that they are willing to bring people onsite based solely on their Resume. The onsite interview day is very organized and well structured. You arrive around 11 am and are given a tour of the facilities, followed by a lunch buffet. The interviews commence after lunch. They consist of three separate interviews, a Case Interview, Behavioral Interview, and a Job Fit (Technical) interview. The case dealt with the creation of new banking technologies in light of increased government regulations post 2008 financial crisis. This is basic algebra and is quite easy, just explain your thoughts and the interviewer will guide you. The behavioral questions were very typical. What was atypical though, was that there were only three questions and 45 minutes to answer them. Take time to think before answering the questions because a very thorough explanation is expected. The job fit interview consisted of technical questions and questions relating to you interests within the company. This was one of the easiest on site technical interviews I have had. Basic linked list questions and some OOP questions. I believe there was a single debugging/interpreting code question. You are given 45 minutes to answer these as well, any competent programmer shouldn't need more than 35 (I don't claim to be an exceptional programmer and was done within 15 minutes). I interviewed on a Friday and was given an offer on a Monday. It is a very generous offer, and depending on my status with other companies I am likely to accept it. The only downside to the whole experience was that many of the other interviewees seemed relatively unintelligent and strange. I do not know whether any of these people received an offer, but the fact that they were at a final round/on site reflected poorly on the company.

Interview Questions

• Linked List questions - find the kth to last element (do this in linear time, I talked to kids who were doing it in n^2 which is ridiculous). Overload and Overriding, debugging.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I applied through university channel. The process took a few weeks. An alumni who currently work for Capital One interviewed me on campus. And then had an on-site interview with three case studies in Richmond VA.

Interview Questions

• Technical problems: CI, missing data, p-value...
      Remember to explain these terms not too professionally.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 telephonic rounds, followed by,on campus interview day. (5 interviews on this day)
    one on one and lunch with panel.
    They have 2 behavioral, 2 technical and 1 introduction round.
    Interviewers were friendly. they give good time to think on question. every interviewer also asked if you have questions. be prepared to ask questions as well.

Interview Questions

• basic software engineering questions. oops concept, sorting, summing up items of list.
      be prepared to write code on white board.

Answer Question
    • behavioral interview questions included as : When in your job, u had to convince someone?
      When did u face a situation of two competitive goals and how u worked on it?

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

The first interview basically a behavioral interview. The second was three interviews consisting of a behavioral, case, and technical job fit interview. The behavioral was the same as in the first interview. The case interview mostly consists of weighing options and choosing the best decision in specific problems. It mostly consists of some algebra. The technical job fit interview consisted of a few basic OOD concept questions, a data structure implementation and an algorithm coding question.

Interview Questions

• How do you get to the k-th to last element in a linked list in linear time?   Answer Question

TDP Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

Talked to the campus recruiter after campus career fair, and he set up a Power Day interview shortly after. Was flown out to the Richmond campus a few weeks later and started the day off with a tour and lunch with recent hires. After lunch, me and the other candidates went to our respective rooms. Had three interviews: Technical/Job Fit, Case, and Behavioral with a break after the first two.

The job fit interview wasn't bad at all, and the case shouldn't be difficult for people of our background. However, I was very shocked I didn't get an offer because I feel I had a great interviewing day in all facets. The info from reviews on this site were very helpful, you should prepare from them.

Even though I didn't receive an offer, the experience was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Tech - Find the nth from last node in a linked list.

Behavioral - 'Tell me of a time you had to explain something technical to a person who knew nothing about it'

Technology Development Program Interview

Application

Interview

Had an interview on campus, entirely behavioral questions. Got an email inviting me to an interview at their main campus. The interview was broken up into 3 parts, case, behavioral and job fit. The interview was fairly straightforward, the case interview was the hardest since it was my first time doing one. All in all, the interview process was very well done and fairly easy

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for capital one.
      Case interview dealt with coming up with a decision on what to do with outdated software.
      Basic linked list questions and class design questions.