Capital One

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through Dice .com for Senior App Dev role. I applied on Feb 2014. First thing first , your Resume and Cover letter should have enough "Key words" so that at least you get a call. You can find those from the job description you are applying for. I got a call after several 4 weeks.
First call was by recruiting HR who will just ask you about yourself, what you do , why are you interested in this role and why are you leaving the current company. Then he provided me a link and asked to take Verbal and Numerical reasoning Test. you can take it in next 7 days , andIts going to be hard because i got 18 numeric qus in 17 min and 30 verbal qus in 20 min. So practice a lot , he will provide you some links and practice sets, also try SHL type numeric reasoning.

2nd Round- I heard back after 2 weeks that i have qualified and have to go through Technical Phone interview by Hiring manager . got a call from Hiring manager after say 7 days and it was all about what work you have done , some Q&A type question and your strength (out of 10) in different technical areas.

Got a call that i qualified and have to go Face to face Interview after 2 weeks . All expenses were by capital One. Stayed in a good hotel over night and interviewed at their office location

Face to face- Consisted of 4 (1 hour) rounds . So 2 behavioral and 2 Job Fit. For developers roles there wont be much on data analysis and frankly all they ask is from your resume and what work you have done. Behavioral were below questions exactly-
1- Tell me a time when you learned some thing on the go
2-Tell me a time when you successfully avoided an obstacle
3-Tell me a time when you collaborate with team to meet project dead line
4- Tell me a time when you persuade others to change mind
5-Tell me a time when tackle change in timeline /requirement
6-Tell me a timewhen you completed objectives

Job fit-
1- what exact projects you worked, details of a project , interfaces, technology you used, why this and not that technology, What all tools you know. Our system has blah blah blah ...
2- What Project methodology you know , what Databases you know , what operation you do on DB , what is your current role etc

Always put a smile and answer and try to connect with the interviewer . You don't know the answer let him know the thought process you are going through , they may be interested to know that.

So after 1 week i followed up and they said I got the job and will send me formal offer letter.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected but be prepare in advance for both Tech and Non tech interviews. Numeric reasoning is time sensitive and the your ticket to show case your work , so you have to be very serious about it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was Not much negotiation. It was either this or that , and i choose an option i felt better .

Very Easy Interview

Applications Developer Senior Interview

Applications Developer Senior
Wilmington, DE

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – They contacted me from Linkedin. First of all they schedule a telephonic brief discussions followed by a online assessment. The online assessment is consisting of behavioral and analytical.
I did very poor in the analytical part as I could have answered only 20 out of 30 questions but then I get an email saying I passed and wait for next step.
Then they scheduled a technical telephonic discussion which went very very well for me.
Then they schedule a face to face interview. I flew to Wilmington DE their Oliver Evans campus. All the airfare, hotel stay and cabs arranged by Capital One. It was an awesome experience to see and feel the culture.
My only problem was the 3rd face to face interview which was named as Job Fit Interview but it was basically a very very technical interview
First of all he stated that he thought of a telephonic interview(I flew the previous day there stayed in their expense just to hear this?!!).Then he said he did not get time to look into my resume, you start telling me about yourself in that time I'll take a look at your resume.
The person just reading the purely technical questions from a 4 page print out that he came up with. He has those questions with all the different options with the right one marked in bold. We did not have any eye contact while he was asking purely technical questions. After the last interview I hope you can come to understand what can happen with me. Yes they found someone else and I am open to apply again.
I lost 1 day of vacation for this which I can spend with my family.

I shared all the questions that I faced it’s quite repetitive. I know you don’t even like to read it.
Good luck to you all!!

Interview Questions

• 1st telephonic brief: Why change/location preference/role you are looking for/In my case we talked about relocation expenses and GC processing   View Answer
  • Telephonic Technical discussion: about your experience./How you decide when to use interface or abstract class/How you estimate for a given task in sprint or agile method/what do you know about collection framework/what is inversion of control/tell me about object oriented concepts/In my case I asked about what are the things they are looking for the position: No definite answer. He just told me he got my profile and just interviewing me.   View Answer
  • 1st round: IT Director(Program Manager)
    biggest challenging project/situation where you faced tremendous pressure/any situation you performed your best/relationship problem you have with your previous managers, how you cope with that, what was your action and how was the result/how do you know about the result/in a team of developers and testers for a bug raised by QA who is responsible/ any new technology in any of your project you learned and how/Why we should hire you and you fit in this position/how comfortable are you with agile/ I asked about what they are expecting from the position: There are different teams technology wise as well as development and testing team wise. The position should be for a tech lead person who will sit along with business, developers and stakeholders and estimate. Always work as a team. We are team (it’s understood from a Program Manager perspective)
      View Answer
  • 2nd round: IT Manaer(QA Lead)
    What was your most challenging project/How was your relationship with QA team/How you react to a bug raised by QA/What is the problem you think that case the fighting between QA and developers/What is the worst thing in you in your opinion(they also know the trick)/What is your take on agile development/what was your role in the agile project you worked on/What can you do to finish the project in timely manner/situation where you faced tremendous pressure/I asked about what they are expecting from the position: As she was from QA team she only knew that he will be the one who will be leading the Java team doing the fighting with QA.
      View Answer
  • 3rd round: Sr. Application Developer(The position I went for)
    static synchronized vs non-static synchronized/velocity/static inner class, inner class, why we need it/class locking vs object locking/left join vs right outer join/how to sort a collection/how you react if there is change request at the end you got with no extension of deadline/what are the soft skills that you have for this position/show me a architecture diagram of a web application/which technology you are passionate about/the most challenging project that you have/what container you have used for your web application/most difficult project you handled in sense of architecture/have you ever found any situation where some person is not accepting your design solution/xmlhttp vs http/What kind of card payment system you know about/what you know about online payment gateway/how do you keep yourself updated with the industry/how you review code/what kind of security you can take care while coding/what is deobfuscation/in a code for collection what you check while reviewing the code/how you worked in an agile platform/What should we do to finish the project on time if there is too much backlog at the end/what do you know about spring webflow, how you used it/what do you know about reflection framework/application dispatcher vs bean factory/I asked about what they are expecting from the position: As he was in the same position he bragged a lot about the position like he will be doing coding, estimation, budgeting, meetings, hiring, architecture. From his perspective he should be a one man army./I asked how you will evaluate someone for the position or what are the things you will be looking at: He stated if we do not find you fit for a senior role we may consider you for junior roles and then he reacted like he has some flight to catch right now.

Senior Applications Developer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – 1. Call from Recruiter
2. Online assessment
3. Initial Technical Interview
4. Onsite Interview.

Interview Question – There question are very direct and they look for direct answers.   Answer Question

Wilmington, DE

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2013.

Interview Details – Initially they informed to attend the online assessment and after passing the assessment, they called to schedule the phone interview. After clearing the phone interview, they scheduled for onsite interview which had three rounds- 2 Behavioral and 1 technical. Behavioral as very easy and technical was tough. They will take care of tickets and other things for the interview.

Interview Question – They asked to mention specific terms for some logic.   View Answer

Plano, TX

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online from capital one website, got a call from HR couple of weeks later and he discussed my backgound, experience and expected salary. He said he will send me a link for the online exams which consisted of Organisation fit, Numerical reasoning and Verbal Reasoning. Numerical and Verbal reasoning are timed. After i took the exams i got a call from HR couple of days later, saying that i cleared that test and scheduled for a phone interview wih manager and technical person. After clearing the phone interview they scheduled a 1:1 after 2 weeks. All the travel expenses were paid by capital one. My 1:1 consisted of 2 rounds of behavioral interviews and 1 round of technical interview. The people who interviewed me were very friendly. They informed me on the same day itself that i had cleared the interview, but it took couple of weeks to get the formal offer letter.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to design an online test processing application, what technologies would i use and why?   Answer Question
  • Standard behavioral questions like how would you deal with priorities that change along the way, how would you deal when you have a conflict with a coworker etc..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, a little.

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!