Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Capital One
- Business Analyst (299)
- Data Analyst (91)
- Statistician (65)
- Operations Analyst (61)
- Senior Business Analyst (49)
- Senior Data Analyst (43)
- Analyst (43)
- Financial Analyst (31)
- Business Analyst Intern (30)
- Bank Teller (29)
- Teller (29)
- Project Manager (25)
- Customer Service Representative (25)
- Director (24)
- Intern (24)
- Data Scientist (21)
- Relationship Banker (20)
- Senior Manager (16)
- Senior Operations Analyst (16)
- Associate (15)
- Business Manager (13)
- Finance Rotation Associate (13)
- Fraud Intake Coordinator (13)
- IT Development Program (11)
- Software Engineer (10)
- Teller I (10)
- Senior Business Manager (10)
- Manager (10)
- Customer Service Coordinator (9)
- Statistician Intern (9)
Senior Applications Developer Interview
I applied online. The process took 4 weeks – interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).
The interview process was lengthy but un-managed. Got a call from recruiter seeking details about current job, responsibilities and she recommended to apply for Senior Developer position. Got a call from the team member and went through technical interview on the phone for 30 mins or so. Got an mail from recruiter that I have cleared the phone interview and was called for onsite interview. Here is the point where the communication gap started to happen. Though the recruiter sent the behavioral questions and promised to touch base with me about the onsite interview process, but she never got back to me. Till the day before the onsite interview day, didn't get a call. So, followed up and got to know there will be 2 behavioral and 1 Job fit interview. On the onsite interview day, came to know that the plan had changed and was instead interviewed for 2 behavioral and 2 job fit interviews, which was not what the recruited had told. Anyways, went through the interviews. Job fits were technical interviews and one of them was telephonic where the interviewer was interested in knowing what I had done and didn't ask any specific questions. The second Job fit was face to face wherein the interviewer asked pointed questions about Design Patterns, WCF Services, Web Site Security, Test Driven Development etc. Both of Job Fit Went Fine Then it was followed by two Behavioral interviews - First Job Fit interview was about specific situations where I had to call for an expert help and a situation where I had to change any process. She kept taking the notes also, and it went fine. The 2nd behavioral interview was not BI but technical interview again. This was also surprising and I was asked coding questions wherein they had code snippets and they wanted to know the output of the code. Was asked about one situation also. But was told by recruiter that BI is situation based and not technical, but here it was. So, guys beware and be ready that it they can change the plan randomly or ask technical questions in BI, which was mis-communicated or mismanaged. It seemed that they had some other hidden agenda and I felt that it was not a very managed or planned process which they usually are proud of. Even after sending the e-mails of the detailed plan, they changed the plan on the D-Day. Anyways, after the interview got a mail that I have been selected, but recruiter took 1 week to come back with the offer. Then I got one more shocker with the offer. Guess what they offered me Software Developer position and not the Senior Software Developer position that I had applied for, which I declined. Now, I am wondering what was the root cause of this fiasco. They communicated different interview process but conducted different process, communicated different position but actual offer was for a different position, which was again mis-communicated. If they can do this before joining he company, wonder what they will do after joining. So guys, please be careful and just don't go over the board with Capital One. It is just another company with inefficiencies.
- The entire interview process was unexpected. They communicated some process but actual process was different Answer Question
Reasons for Declining
They interviewed for Senior Developer position and offered Developer / Junior position. Miscommunication in the interview process, recruiter never getting back on time.
Other Interview Reviews for Capital One
Senior Applications Developer InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2+ months – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2014.
I applied through Dice .com for Senior App Dev role. I applied on Feb 2014. First thing first , your Resume and Cover letter should have enough "Key words" so that at least you get a call. You can find those from the job description you are applying for. I got a call after several 4 weeks. First call was by recruiting HR who will just ask you about yourself, what you do , why are you interested in this role and why are you leaving the current company. Then he provided me a link and asked to take Verbal and Numerical reasoning Test. you can take it in next 7 days , andIts going to be hard because i got 18 numeric qus in 17 min and 30 verbal qus in 20 min. So practice a lot , he will provide you some links and practice sets, also try SHL type numeric reasoning. 2nd Round- I heard back after 2 weeks that i have qualified and have to go through Technical Phone interview by Hiring manager . got a call from Hiring manager after say 7 days and it was all about what work you have done , some Q&A type question and your strength (out of 10) in different technical areas. Got a call that i qualified and have to go Face to face Interview after 2 weeks . All expenses were by capital One. Stayed in a good hotel over night and interviewed at their office location Face to face- Consisted of 4 (1 hour) rounds . So 2 behavioral and 2 Job Fit. For developers roles there wont be much on data analysis and frankly all they ask is from your resume and what work you have done. Behavioral were below questions exactly- 1- Tell me a time when you learned some thing on the go 2-Tell me a time when you successfully avoided an obstacle 3-Tell me a time when you collaborate with team to meet project dead line 4- Tell me a time when you persuade others to change mind 5-Tell me a time when tackle change in timeline /requirement 6-Tell me a timewhen you completed objectives Job fit- 1- what exact projects you worked, details of a project , interfaces, technology you used, why this and not that technology, What all tools you know. Our system has blah blah blah ... 2- What Project methodology you know , what Databases you know , what operation you do on DB , what is your current role etc Always put a smile and answer and try to connect with the interviewer . You don't know the answer let him know the thought process you are going through , they may be interested to know that. So after 1 week i followed up and they said I got the job and will send me formal offer letter.
- Nothing unexpected but be prepare in advance for both Tech and Non tech interviews. Numeric reasoning is time sensitive and the your ticket to show case your work , so you have to be very serious about it. 1 Answer
There was Not much negotiation. It was either this or that , and i choose an option i felt better .
Applications Developer Senior InterviewNo OfferNegative ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks – interviewed at Capital One (Wilmington, DE) in February 2014.
They contacted me from Linkedin. First of all they schedule a telephonic brief discussions followed by a online assessment. The online assessment is consisting of behavioral and analytical. I did very poor in the analytical part as I could have answered only 20 out of 30 questions but then I get an email saying I passed and wait for next step. Then they scheduled a technical telephonic discussion which went very very well for me. Then they schedule a face to face interview. I flew to Wilmington DE their Oliver Evans campus. All the airfare, hotel stay and cabs arranged by Capital One. It was an awesome experience to see and feel the culture. My only problem was the 3rd face to face interview which was named as Job Fit Interview but it was basically a very very technical interview First of all he stated that he thought of a telephonic interview(I flew the previous day there stayed in their expense just to hear this?!!).Then he said he did not get time to look into my resume, you start telling me about yourself in that time I'll take a look at your resume. The person just reading the purely technical questions from a 4 page print out that he came up with. He has those questions with all the different options with the right one marked in bold. We did not have any eye contact while he was asking purely technical questions. After the last interview I hope you can come to understand what can happen with me. Yes they found someone else and I am open to apply again. I lost 1 day of vacation for this which I can spend with my family. I shared all the questions that I faced it’s quite repetitive. I know you don’t even like to read it. Good luck to you all!!
- 1st telephonic brief: Why change/location preference/role you are looking for/In my case we talked about relocation expenses and GC processing 1 Answer
- Telephonic Technical discussion: about your experience./How you decide when to use interface or abstract class/How you estimate for a given task in sprint or agile method/what do you know about collection framework/what is inversion of control/tell me about object oriented concepts/In my case I asked about what are the things they are looking for the position: No definite answer. He just told me he got my profile and just interviewing me. 1 Answer
- 1st round: IT Director(Program Manager) biggest challenging project/situation where you faced tremendous pressure/any situation you performed your best/relationship problem you have with your previous managers, how you cope with that, what was your action and how was the result/how do you know about the result/in a team of developers and testers for a bug raised by QA who is responsible/ any new technology in any of your project you learned and how/Why we should hire you and you fit in this position/how comfortable are you with agile/ I asked about what they are expecting from the position: There are different teams technology wise as well as development and testing team wise. The position should be for a tech lead person who will sit along with business, developers and stakeholders and estimate. Always work as a team. We are team (it’s understood from a Program Manager perspective) 1 Answer
- 2nd round: IT Manaer(QA Lead) What was your most challenging project/How was your relationship with QA team/How you react to a bug raised by QA/What is the problem you think that case the fighting between QA and developers/What is the worst thing in you in your opinion(they also know the trick)/What is your take on agile development/what was your role in the agile project you worked on/What can you do to finish the project in timely manner/situation where you faced tremendous pressure/I asked about what they are expecting from the position: As she was from QA team she only knew that he will be the one who will be leading the Java team doing the fighting with QA. 1 Answer
- 3rd round: Sr. Application Developer(The position I went for) static synchronized vs non-static synchronized/velocity/static inner class, inner class, why we need it/class locking vs object locking/left join vs right outer join/how to sort a collection/how you react if there is change request at the end you got with no extension of deadline/what are the soft skills that you have for this position/show me a architecture diagram of a web application/which technology you are passionate about/the most challenging project that you have/what container you have used for your web application/most difficult project you handled in sense of architecture/have you ever found any situation where some person is not accepting your design solution/xmlhttp vs http/What kind of card payment system you know about/what you know about online payment gateway/how do you keep yourself updated with the industry/how you review code/what kind of security you can take care while coding/what is deobfuscation/in a code for collection what you check while reviewing the code/how you worked in an agile platform/What should we do to finish the project on time if there is too much backlog at the end/what do you know about spring webflow, how you used it/what do you know about reflection framework/application dispatcher vs bean factory/I asked about what they are expecting from the position: As he was in the same position he bragged a lot about the position like he will be doing coding, estimation, budgeting, meetings, hiring, architecture. From his perspective he should be a one man army./I asked how you will evaluate someone for the position or what are the things you will be looking at: He stated if we do not find you fit for a senior role we may consider you for junior roles and then he reacted like he has some flight to catch right now. 1 Answer
Senior Applications Developer InterviewNo OfferAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks – interviewed at Capital One.
1. Call from Recruiter 2. Online assessment 3. Initial Technical Interview 4. Onsite Interview.
- There question are very direct and they look for direct answers. Answer Question
Senior Applications Developer InterviewNo OfferDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at Capital One (Wilmington, DE) in October 2013.
Initially they informed to attend the online assessment and after passing the assessment, they called to schedule the phone interview. After clearing the phone interview, they scheduled for onsite interview which had three rounds- 2 Behavioral and 1 technical. Behavioral as very easy and technical was tough. They will take care of tickets and other things for the interview.
- They asked to mention specific terms for some logic. 1 Answer
Senior Applications Developer InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
The process took 5 weeks – interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in September 2011.
I applied online from capital one website, got a call from HR couple of weeks later and he discussed my backgound, experience and expected salary. He said he will send me a link for the online exams which consisted of Organisation fit, Numerical reasoning and Verbal Reasoning. Numerical and Verbal reasoning are timed. After i took the exams i got a call from HR couple of days later, saying that i cleared that test and scheduled for a phone interview wih manager and technical person. After clearing the phone interview they scheduled a 1:1 after 2 weeks. All the travel expenses were paid by capital one. My 1:1 consisted of 2 rounds of behavioral interviews and 1 round of technical interview. The people who interviewed me were very friendly. They informed me on the same day itself that i had cleared the interview, but it took couple of weeks to get the formal offer letter.
Yes, a little.
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review